Thread: obedience/gun dog training

Default obedience/gun dog training

Looking for a obedience/gundog trainer for my lab, he is about 6 months old. in the soldotna area, if I have to send him out of town that would be fine also.

thanks

If you can wait until spring, Baron will (hopefully) return to reopen Wetland Retrievers in Palmer. There is no way I can say enough good things about him and his operation.He does a complete boarding/training combo for about $600 a month. I think he's the only guy around who does this kind of work.

May want to check out the possibility of doing a program such as 'Fowl Dawgs'. I trained my first pup through these and many other resources and I think it was a great decision and a very good bonding experience.

Crossfox
    You can train your dog yourself if you have the time and the mind for it. If you want to go that route check out these forms and their dog training sections. The Refuge, DuckHuntingchat form and Retriever Training Form. I am not sure where to find a good trainer in the state but I am sure your on the right track with this form. I know there are some but I don't have any personal knowledge on anyone.

If you decide to go it alone and do your own training, get into a training group in your area and train with them at least once a week. Then train alone every day......for 5 to 15 minutes as close to everyday as possible. Make sure you leave your emotions at home amd keep training on the upbeat side but to the standard your set. Also, know that your dog wants to please, he is not "hard headed" and it's up to you to teach him. Start with the very basic's of sit, come, heel and work everything from there. Start with a short leash and graduate to a longer lead. Leash and lead work is done over months, not days. Never give a command your not in a position to inforce.
    Keep your pup with you as much as possible every day. They learn so much from you and you about them. Set up a standard you expect and accept nothing less. If your looking for a "meat dawg" and not a hunt trial dog then I suggest the DVD Duck Dog Basics by Chris Akins. If you want to go more toward the hunt trial standards I use the Mike Lardy series but it's alot of material, expensive, and maybe be more than your looking for. PM me if you have any questions. I am not a pro but I do have well trained dwags that do obey. Duckdon