Thread: Tags

Default Tags

Hey Mike S.

I hear you dogged the Tag Bags at the Sportsmans show down in Anchorage, telling those at your seminar NOT to use them. Was wondering what it is about them that you dont like? I know you and Larry dont get along, but putting that aside, whats the deal?

They don't let the moisture out. The meat will not form a skin.

I saw a post on this awhile back. It may even be in the archives. Basically, the consensus was they don't breath as well and allow the meat to stay moist without developing a protective crust. They also tear more easily than heavy cotton or feed bags.

I've used them and my meat has stayed moist but, it hasn't been a concern for me because I'm usually out of the field within a few days of harvesting an animal and it has always been fairly cool temperatures. I have ripped my TAG bags when transporting quarters and the bone pokes a hole. If you take the meat off the bone it's not usually an issue as the TAG bags are plenty strong.

I won't give up the TAG bags for back pack hunts because of the weight savings. But, for a drop off hunt, I'll be using heavy cotton game bags.

I can't cough up $70 for a set of bags. I do like the enormous weight savings (for use in sheep hunting). I am skeptical with the critisim that has surfaced surrounding the bags and don't want to put out the money at this point.

Appreciate the first hand perspective k9.

Tim

Looks like Mike is being called out by Larry on the Pristine Ventures sight over this...I wonder if he will get a response?? My experience was just the opposite. Last season was plenty warm on our float trip...we had no problems with our meat. It crusted over very nicely and we recieved compliments on our meat care upon arrival at the butcher. The credit goes to the Tag Bags and some citric acid! I won't use anything else.