Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Boat Bouilding Project (Pic Heavy)

Default My Boat Bouilding Project (Pic Heavy)

Here are some pics of building a boat in my garage last spring. Hope you guys like.

You can see in this pic, not a lot of room in the garage, airplane project in the back ground.

This was difficult to turn by myself, amazing what a few clamps and ratchet straps will do.

Prepping for paint.

Putting on the Zolatone and clear coat.

Going to glass

In Skwentna, love the 140 Suzuki.

Uncle driving another boat that we built.

thats a great looking boat. how did you split the tube for the top rail edge?

Great work, thats a sharp looking boat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    thats a great looking boat. how did you split the tube for the top rail edge?
    Tablesaw and a good carbide blade works wonders.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    In Skwentna, love the 140 Suzuki.
    What year is your DF140? I have the factory service manual in PDF for 2001-2009 is you need a copy. (42 mbs in size)
    Covers DF 90/100/115/140 four stroke
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

yeah that is what in did i just thought i be missing an easier way. what dia wire do you use? i tried using .035 for sheet but kept making holes before i can tie them together. i got .030 now and it works better but still seems big. i am not a trained welder just self learning. i have a stack of sheet left and would like to build a 14'-16' river boat.

great looking boat.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Cool project & nice looking boat, what are the dimensions?
    Running prop only?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks for all the nice comments. I split the pipe with a skill saw. Motor is an 2011. I used 035 wire, tried 030 but couldnt tell much differnce. When welding 1/8 or under your "fitts" have to be super tight. I'm also self taught. Boat size is 5ft bottom and 20ft length. Im running a 19 pitch 3 blade Alum. prop

You dont need many tools to build a boat. Welder, skill saw, 4in grinder, mallet,a tape, sharpie, and a few other things but those are the basic's. A shop with lots of room would be the most important thing.

Wow! Now this is a skill I would pay to learn!! Great looking boat. Did you use a jig for the bottom?

How cool is that! Great looking work. You are a real craftsman for sure.

Nice job that is a great looking boat! What made you go with a prop over a jet?

Thanks for taking time to share. I'd love to build my own tub some day. Very cool.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Very cool to see the step by step process. Wish I could do something like this!

I went with the prop to save on fuel, boat was built for running the family to Skwentna in comfort. It burns about 12 gallons one way (63 miles) Which was the same as my 40hp 2 stroke prop! Cruise is 4000 rpm @ 30mph, WOT is 47mph. I was thinking about installing a lift jack and putting on a jet unit to extend my boating season. I ran the river until Sept 25th last year but it was shallow. The main river channel is moving away from the Deshka launch channel. I need to see if the lift jack will getthe highth I need for a jet unit.

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    I went with the prop to save on fuel, boat was built for running the family to Skwentna in comfort. It burns about 12 gallons one way (63 miles) Which was the same as my 40hp 2 stroke prop! Cruise is 4000 rpm @ 30mph, WOT is 47mph. I was thinking about installing a lift jack and putting on a jet unit to extend my boating season. I ran the river until Sept 25th last year but it was shallow. The main river channel is moving away from the Deshka launch channel. I need to see if the lift jack will getthe highth I need for a jet unit.
    I run an OMC lift that has 5 inches of travel, it is just enough for me to swap back and forth from the prop to the jet. I do have a tunnel though. They make a lift that has 7 inches of travel,, that is the best choice for swapping jet to prop.

Awesome boat and build!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I use a Power trans http://www.powrtran.com/cgi-bin/cart...?parts_id=9662
    On my 140 and switch back and forth, I have found it relaible w/ enough travel (7.5").
    The 5' set back of the lift on a 60" wide boat will squat the back of the boat some 3" lower at rest. This is probably not a big deal with the prop, but will take longer to get on step with the jet, at least thats what happened on my 20' X 60" boat, I do have a tunnel and that may have some impact.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Awesome project, would love to teach myself aluminum welding.
    Great looking boat, you should be proud.
    BK

When learning to aluminum weld remember speed is your friend, I find it easiest to use .035 wire with argon gas, weld downhill, pushing your gas, get the arc and take off, if you go slow it will burn a hole, a pulse welder makes it a lot easier to weld aluminum, do some test welds for a few hours, then start to work an easy project. If you can find someone who does a lot of aluminum welding have them come over and give you a few pointers. It does not take long to get the feel of it, just remember it is a lot faster than steel welding. Having your weld surface free of all contaminants is very important, get a stainless steel brush and only use it on the aluminum when cleaning a weld area. If you use it on steel or anything else you will not be able to get a good weld if you try and clean the area with it. You will use a lot lower amps with the aluminum than steel welding. It is best if you have a push pull system or a spool gun. I use a Cobra push pull on my Miller welder. It is lots of fun to create things out of aluminum. Then you can switch over and start to learn Stainless steel welding. Have fun.
    Last edited by Gerberman; 03-01-2012 at 19:57. Reason: remove s

Really nice job. How did you design it? Buy plans or ? Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast