Thread: Crossing the Delta River in August?

Default Crossing the Delta River in August?

My son drew DM677, cow moose Aug 15 -31. Hunt area is roughly west of DJ to Delta Creek and south to Black Rapids Glacier minus the military closure area. Wondering if its doable to cross the river with a scanoe? I've done the searches and have read up on previous responses to similar question but hoping for some fresh insight. If I can recipriocate with info on POW, Baranof, or Chichagof I'm more than happy to do so. Thanks for any help you may have.

A raft would probably be safer, but I am sure you could probably find places to cross. You may be looking at crossing multiple braids of the river in August and the water will be running hard.

Not the best choice and I love Scanoe's wish i still had one for giggles. Northway is Spot on IMO water is or should be in heavy flow that time of year best option would be a little inflatable i.e. 12-13ft to accomplish your crossings.

Congrats to you Son and you best of luck.

Moose-O

I crossed there several times and in August I wouldn't personally do a scanoe... I did cross a couple of times in a Pro Pioneer last year and it was low drama.

Keep in mind during Aug the water will be high and flowing fast. I'd plan on substantial downstream travel before you work your way over to the far bank. I'll be helping a friend on that tag this year and the PP is what we're using.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Pro P is not a bad option but more work IMO based on the load, water volume and user of such vessel. I would still stick to a smaller round boat more forgiving able to handle the same load if not a little more if harvest is completed. That being said not a dig on the Pro P. just in this case I would lean towards the round boat. 13ft non bailer i.e. bucket boat. If you want to try and make it a one and done trip go up to a 14ft or 15ft round boat one trip in one trip out. The Pro P. based on two people and volume of meat and gear means you may have to cross the river a couple of extra times based on its 1500 lbs rating and the water conditions. As stated not a dig on the inflatable and has proven it-self valuable just in this case maybe not the best option for the task at hand concerning the river, water conditions and the users capabilities.

Regard

Moose-O

P.S. Love the quote Hodgeman.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    I would lean towards the round boat. 13ft non bailer i.e. bucket boat. If you want to try and make it a one and done trip go up to a 14ft or 15ft round boat one trip in one trip out. The Pro P. based on two people and volume of meat and gear means you may have to cross the river a couple of extra times based on its 1500 lbs rating and the water conditions.
    I totally agree- a round boat would be better for that. We used the Pro P. based on that fact its all we have readily available.

A moose and two guys pretty well fills it to capacity. Moose+camp would probably be two trips unless it was a really little moose.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for the advice. Novice at rafting comes in to play here. BlueMoose has taken me under his paddle with some great advice and help. Again thanks for responding.

I have done it in a Old Town canoe and a raft. The Raft would give you a larger platform and ability to bring it all back in one load.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Canoes, Rafts and SOAR Hunting Canoes
    Gulkana and Delta Rivers.
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Float hunts and drop camps in unit 23-Kotz
    907-259-4290