Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Trophy Pro tipping question

Default 2004 Trophy Pro tipping question

I have a 2004 trophy pro that is very "tippy" as I would call it. I have talked to other people and they have said that they would agree but have had no idea why they are that way or if there's a fix. I assume it's because of the way the hull is constructed and there isn't really a fix, but I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this and has figured out a way to minimize the tip. I am constantly fighting the boat unless the seas are calm.

Thanks

I am guessing that all narrow beamed boats (8'-6" or less) with a significant deadrise will be tippy to a point. What you gain in cutting through chop, you lose in tip stability.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Agreed Doug, but I get a lot more tip from this boat than from my others that are comporable in size. I also have friends with comporable sized boats that do not tip nearly as much.

The only thing I can think of that makes your boat any different from others would be your center of gravity. Do you stow anything heavy on top?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Just an 8ft Zodiak. In talking with other others, I've found that it's a problem with the Trophy's, but I just want to find out if someone has found a way to minimize it.

Are you talking underway or drifting?

Mine rolls quite a bit also, one reason I was looking at the 24 Boulton Explorer Pro with the reverse chine and wider bottom.

Actually the wife is looking at it .
    I was hard to look at her and keep a straight face.
    "Yes dear I do believe you need a wider bottom"
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Underway, does alright drifting.

Trim Tabs? Following seas?
    Wallowing or rolling side to side?
    Twin outboards? inboard?
    Fat mother in law that keeps moving from side to side? (wait, I think that is my problem)
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Inboard/Bravo 3 twin prop. Rolls side to side and requires me to steer back and forth and use trim tabs continually unless seas are calm. All things considered, it rolls a lot more in any given condition than other boats in same class/size that I have driven. Mother in law stays seated!

Another source of answers would be the:
    http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/index.php

lots of Bayliner/Trophy specific info there.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default Bullet shape vs tear drop...

Some Bayliners have a "bullet" shape to them vs a "tear-drop" shape. The transom width is almost the same all the way to the beginning of the bow. Other boats may widen about the middle heading up toward the bow, giving it a tear-drop shape. This may have zero to do with it just my guess, but Bayliners are notoriously cheap and making the shape of the hull without it's flare would save time and money. Look at yachts from battlewagons to center consoles, many have a certain flare to the hull.

Just my guess...

sounds like you might need a 200 gal fuel tank installed low in the hull for ballast, set that sucker down farther in the water.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

What model Trophy are you talking about? I have a Trophy 2359, and I wouldn't describe it as tippy, especially while underway. Are you sure your trim tabs are working correctly/independently? I ask because when my boat was rigged/wired, the wire harness for the trim tabs was damaged and as a result, the tabs didn't operate independently, it was either both tabs up or both tabs down regardless of which switch (port/starboard) I used. This did make for some balance issues while running, but once I found/fixed the problem, no more balance issues.

200 extra gallons of fuel would be perfect! Might cost about a grand to fill up, but no more spare gas cans. It's a 2359 as well, tabs work well. Maybe I just need to figure out a way to get more weight in the bow.

i put an 111 gal tank in my 20' uniflite express, no more 5 gal. cans on deck. the ride is killer, like an arrow.

I have a Trophy 1902, and the craft has a high initial stability--not much tippiness to speak of. I also own a 19' Bartender, and it is as tippy as a canoe--a very low initial stability, but it's secondary, or reserve, stability is enormous (which is why this model was used as a rescue craft during the 50's and 60's by the Coast Guards of the US, Australia and New Zealand). I'm wondering if putting your six foot zodiac (60 pounds?) on top is affecting the stability of the boat?

There is a simple stability test that you might want to try with your boat with the raft on top. The procedure is outlined in David Gerr's excellent book, "The Nature of Boats." He is a naval architect and a good writer to boot. Anyway, the procedure is: Tie the boat up at the dock on a nice, calm day, and slack off the dock lines. Stand with one foot on the dock and the other on her rail. Push down rhythmically on the rail. Adjust the rhythm of your pushes so that you get her rolling as well and deeply as possible. At this stage, wait till she's reached a full down-swing toward your side (the dock side), yell "stop", lift feet clear, and using a stopwatch time her complete roll from side to side. A complete roll is from all the way starboard to all the way over port and then back again all the way starboard. Repeat this entire process three or so times and average the results.

Divide the beam in feet by 3.28 (her beam in meters), and then divide the time from the stopwatch (seconds) by the beam in meters. A roll time of exactly 1 indicates plenty of stability for rough-water work but not too much for comfort. Being just under 1, say 0.97, indicates good reserve stability. However, if the roll time is over 1.1, you probably do not want to take the boat out in conditions that would roll her deeply.

You might then repeat the test without the raft on top, and compare results.

I think you are worried over nothing. That is why your boat and similar boats such as my Sea Sport have trim tabs standard.
    Like others have said before me, in general, with a beam of only 8-9 feet on a dedicated ocean boat they will list from side to side as the loads shift. The shape of the hull is what makes them handle the chop and waves better.
    It is the nature of the beast. If my son walks from one side of the boat to the other while we are cruising the trim tab needs to be "tapped" to keep the boat on track.

[QUOTE=Snowwolfe;1088719]I think you are worried over nothing. That is why your boat and similar boats such as my Sea Sport have trim tabs standard.

Well it well worth being worried about, the stability of a boat is a key factor, in calm seas you can be in a bathtub, but add rough seas and you need to stay up-right. The problems needs a solution or answer. As designed by the Mfg and placed in the water spec's. weight is big issue, trim tab operation, motor trim. If a person is afraid of the boat why have one. Google Small Boat Stability, I tryed to insert the PDF but didn't work, I can email if wished.
    I have taken USCG, stability, load master, barge master classes, it is very important!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of the help guys. I read the PDF you mentioned alaskapiranha and it helped a lot. I'm completely stable when I'm stationary in the water, so I think I'll try a few things from the article and see if it makes the ride better. I think I was just use to a 10 degree V boat that didn't list at all and it made me wonder a little.

Weight moves to one side, adjust trim tab, stay straight. Weight moves to another area, adjust trim tab again, repeat.
    I am not concerned in the least when having to adjust the trim tabs anytime the "load" shifts on our boat. We are on our 8th year in the Sea Sport and it is the most sea worthy, smoothest riding boat I've ever been on for it's size (24 foot).

Help educate me, as long as the adjustment of the trim tab corrects the issue what is to be worried about? That is what the trim tabs are for.

colhp, you do have trim tabs on your boat, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast