Thread: SPOT efficacy on POW Island

Default SPOT efficacy on POW Island

Can anyone inform me how well their SPOT works on POW?

Thanks,

Andy

A friend uses one here. Seems to work as long as you let it sit long enough, being in the open helps.

Can't tell you about POW but mine worked with no issues on Kodiak and on the North Slope so POW should be no issue.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

POW has good satellite coverage, it's just that the heavy clouds and dense overstory sometimes make it tough for devices such as SPOT and some GPS units to find the satellites. Expect spotty coverage in heavy timber or on really bad weather days. Ended up getting rid of mine. The times it didn't work (not just on POW, but other places in AK) caused more trouble than it was worth (from the stand point of a spouse tracking me from home). I hear the newer generation SPOT does better. I had the older variety.

Never used mine on POW, but it always worked fine out behind Ketchikan on the Unik and up in the Misty's.

Default SPOT tips

I think many people that have trouble with SPOT don't visualize that their SPOT is looking to the South, at something like a 30 degree angle up from the ground. Make sure it can see that part of the sky unhindered, and give it 15 minutes to acquire.

Another problem people experience, results from their own inability to read its lights correctly (strongly agree that they're NOT intuitively obvious). Spend an hour or more practicing that (yes, just staring at its lights) while you're at the keyboard at SPOT's web site, so you can see the second that it has successfully notified the satellite and it had relayed your action into a different action on the Internet.

I've used mine since the original SPOT was just-introduced, and I do not have problems with mine, ever.