Thread: Unit 23 caribou early September

Default Unit 23 caribou early September

Three of us from South Dakota are coming up to hunt caribou. Has anyone had experiences with Golden Eagle Outfitters? How is the Wulik River area usually as I would like to catch some char. Right now I think the best would be to do a special drop for the fishing. Seems like this Kotzebue area had a lot of hunting pressure.

Golden Eagle has a good rep on this forum from what I have read. The operator in Kotz has been on Flying Wild Alaska, so he must be good, right?
    Kotz area is not as crowded as 10 years ago. Problems around there have diminished. Wulik can be good bou hunting, but bou are travellors. Here today, gone tomorrow. Your transporter should know where bou are when you get there. ADF&G will also know........tho they may not easily tell.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I was up there in 1989, Buck Maxson took us up. I thought it was very uncrowded back then. Two of us shot 2 moose and 2 caribou. I don't want to work that hard again. I heard the ADF&G is going to start up a website as to the caribou migration is on a map this fall. If anyone gets it publish the website on the forum. I kind of like to help with chosing where to fly. So far from my findings about Golden Eagle sounds reliable.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantman View Post
    I was up there in 1989, Buck Maxson took us up. I thought it was very uncrowded back then. Two of us shot 2 moose and 2 caribou. I don't want to work that hard again. I heard the ADF&G is going to start up a website as to the caribou migration is on a map this fall. If anyone gets it publish the website on the forum. I kind of like to help with chosing where to fly. So far from my findings about Golden Eagle sounds reliable.
    I wouldn't put much stock in a "caribou migration website"...at least I wouldn't expect accurate or timely information. Even if there was a webmaster to keep it operating, where would the information come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I wouldn't put much stock in a "caribou migration website"...at least I wouldn't expect accurate or timely information. Even if there was a webmaster to keep it operating, where would the information come from?
    The collared caribou. There's a website for them now. But I agree, keepingit updated is another thing. Plus I'm not sure F&G would really want to publish it. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=caribou.wah

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    The collared caribou. There's a website for them now. But I agree, keepingit updated is another thing. Plus I'm not sure F&G would really want to publish it. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=caribou.wah
    That's my point, updating the location of nine individual caribou every 10 days doesn't give you very good information to use in planning a hunt...unless you want to hunt one of those nine critters I guess. This internet thinggy is pretty useful sometimes, but some stuff is still better done "old school".

The data as to "Where the Caribou are" is pretty much different minute to minute

In May all those dots will be North again, and the site ignored untill next October, when the Herds return.

Actually I have found that the Radio collerd ones are among herds in those areas as the Seward Pennesula and South anna bit East too, 375,000 Caribou and all that hunt them. Theres definitly alotta Caribou back there, right now, and my oldest son lives on the Southern side of the Kotzebue Sound reports catching quite a few fat Females these last few days , rideing about with little snow cover and easy eatings for the Caribou.

Them's my Winter Caribou /Fur grounds on the Northern side, just an Hour from this here delta on my 600
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

There are actually alot more than 9 collared bou. Try a couple hundred or more. Some are radio collars, some are GPS collars. F&G spends your sportsman dollars every year to collar more...............as some die each year also.
    There already is a website but it is supposed to be for the Seward Pen Reindeer herders, so they can make an effort to keep their deer away from the bou. The info on the site is purposely kept 2 weeks old. The dots on the maps that represent each bou are also a little large and only locate that animal in a 2 or 3 mile dia. circle.
    A current map of bou locations isn't all the useful. However, F&G has YEARS of data from these collared animals. What you can find is trends. Places bou commonly travel at a particular time of year. The Dept sometimes presents maps like these at AC meetings. They show the most heavily used travel corridors for the WACH.
    There are also collared bou in the Central Arctic herd and the Porky herd. The Canadians have a Porcupine herd website I believe.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I believe Golden Eagle is relatively new to the area in comparison to some of the other transporters there. I would look into Ram Aviation at www.huntandfishalaska.net they are definitely one of the most successful and safest outfits in unit 23, plus they know where to catch the big char on the Wulik.
    fishing-main2.jpg

I second what fssks17 said! I'm bias though since I've gone with them on a number of hunts. We fished the Wulik as well but never caught a Char like that one!!!! I guess no one has since it's the largest Char ever taken in Alaska. We caught a lot of fish from 7 lbs to 17 lbs which was amazing. When we flew in we flew over the river and Mike showed us the fish swimming from bank to bank and it was amazing to see wall to wall fish. After we touched down Mike had us unload the plane and he walked over to the water with a telescoping fishing pole with a red and white dare devil spoon and before we had the plane unloaded he came back with two char that were probably 15 lbs, he put them in a plastic back and put them in the belly pod of the airplane and said "good, Matt can blacken fry these up for dinner tonight". he kicked the rest of the stuff out of the plane, saluted us and was gone!! Best 2 days of fishing I have ever had in my life! Mike's friend was there with his PA-12, Ken I think his name was and Ken said "Boys, the fishing is so hot that you have to bait the hook in your pocket just to keep them off of it!" Great trip and great guys they run with.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    I second what fssks17 said! I'm bias though since I've gone with them on a number of hunts. We fished the Wulik as well but never caught a Char like that one!!!! I guess no one has since it's the largest Char ever taken in Alaska. We caught a lot of fish from 7 lbs to 17 lbs which was amazing. When we flew in we flew over the river and Mike showed us the fish swimming from bank to bank and it was amazing to see wall to wall fish. After we touched down Mike had us unload the plane and he walked over to the water with a telescoping fishing pole with a red and white dare devil spoon and before we had the plane unloaded he came back with two char that were probably 15 lbs, he put them in a plastic back and put them in the belly pod of the airplane and said "good, Matt can blacken fry these up for dinner tonight". he kicked the rest of the stuff out of the plane, saluted us and was gone!! Best 2 days of fishing I have ever had in my life! Mike's friend was there with his PA-12, Ken I think his name was and Ken said "Boys, the fishing is so hot that you have to bait the hook in your pocket just to keep them off of it!" Great trip and great guys they run with.
    The Matt in this story is Matty Owen, he runs Northern Air Trophy www.northernairtrophy.com which is another great option for any activity in unit 23.