Thread: Hunting the Wulik River or Anisak River unit23

Default Hunting the Wulik River or Anisak River unit23

Three of us are planning on hunting caribou early Sept.. Has anyone floated or hunted any of these rivers. Has anyone hunted with Golden Eagle Outfitters. I seem to have a hard time getting any references from any operaters. On a couple of hunt reports some hunters sure had bad experiences with certain air taxi drop camps. I really want to fish the Wulik while up there for those char. I have floated the Nimiutuk to the Kelly River.

I hunted the Anisak in mid-Sept 2010, had a great time. We did not use Golden Eagle Outfitters so I can't comment on them. The Anisak has char in the lower reaches. Don't know much about the Wulik other than what I've heard of it's char fishing. I believe, but am not positive, the Wulik is closer to Kotzebue, so it may be a cheaper river to hunt if that's a concern. Our drop location on the Anisak was 110 air miles from Kotzebue. I'll be up in that area again this year.

If your going hunting out of Kotz. yes I would use Golden Eagle Outfitters. I think they're great and have done a great job for me every time I use them. Middle of Sept. is a good time to go also. You better book early or soon.

Never hunted the Wulik river but I have flown to the area and fished the Char and they are like catching silvers they are huge in that river and once you find them they are about every cast. As far as Golden eagle I would use them, they have really good pilots and we use them a lot in the fall while hunting up there. We hunt about 80 miles east of the Wulik every year, never any problems with them and good people to deal with.

the fishing on the wulik in early-mid sept is great. nice big dollies (they're not char) char are slightly different. If you haven't booked by now for early sept with one of the transporters up here you may be SOL. they book up pretty quick. as far as moose hunting i can honestly say i've not seen very many moose as we've flown over the wulik headed out fishing that time of year. I can say i've heard nothing but good things about golden eagle and jared if you can book with him thats who i would go with. good luck.

The dropoff is roughly the same distance for both rivers, but the Wulik's mouth is in Kivalina Lagoon, and insted of a charter to get out, you could catch a commercial daily outta Kivilina and onto Kotzebue.

Fishing on both rivers is good in Fall.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Golden Eagle does a great job. I send out lots of my clients out with Jared. He is flying 2x 206 aircraft and charges by the hour. Stuff that plain with 800+ pounds of you and your gear for about $700 an hour.

The real question on the 2 rivers is what are you hunting? We sent groups out the the Wulik for Dolly fishing and moose as the Wulik does not see the main stem of the migration and caribou hunting is hit and miss. The Anisac is one of the best for early season Bou and sees lots of animals thus is a good choice for Bou and Bears.

The Wulik is less than an hour flight and cheaper to reach. The Anisac is about 1.25 hours out and is a bit more spendy but you will see fewer hunters out that way. We have some other gems we use if your interested so shoot me a PM and we can talk. Both rivers are much better as a float hunt than a drop hunt.

Good luck and let me know if you need any questions answered.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

If there is any rain in the NW I wouldnt recommend a float for hunting on the Wulik the gravel bars disappear ! I think you may want to think about a larger river unless you have a cub or something that can land and take off short. The Char fishing anywhere in the area can be great or it can be poor. It depends on the run and conditions like any fishing. We fish it every once and a while but flexability is the key because its hit and miss.
    Pick A Spot

Thanks for the info. We did book with Golden Eagle for Sept 4 thru the 14th. Hopefully hunt the Anisak for caribou and if lucky early fly to Wulik for fishing. Air charter costs not the issue as long as we have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    the fishing on the wulik in early-mid sept is great. nice big dollies (they're not char) char are slightly different. If you haven't booked by now for early sept with one of the transporters up here you may be SOL. they book up pretty quick. as far as moose hunting i can honestly say i've not seen very many moose as we've flown over the wulik headed out fishing that time of year. I can say i've heard nothing but good things about golden eagle and jared if you can book with him thats who i would go with. good luck.

Agreed. I have spent 30 combined days on the Kelly, Kug, and Wulik and never saw a moose. All trips were late August and into mid Sept. The fishing is good on many sections of these rivers, but it is very poor on some as well. While I have not used Jared yet, I too have a favorable opinion based on talking with him and feedback from folks that have flown with him. Erik Sieh taking the other job and Buck retiring (if he really retired this time) have left a big gap in local pilots. Jared is a welcome addition to Kotz by all accounts I have heard. I will be on the Kelly and the Wulik fly fishing for dollies for two weeks in Aug/Sept. Jim Kincaid is flying us. Great float trips for dollies and just getting away from it all. If seeking out moose, I would look elsewhere. If bou is the goal, being more flexible on river/drop off is of course a better bet. I would go where the animals are, then get dropped off for a day or two of fishing afterwards myself. Committing yourself to one river, no matter what, for a cast and blast is very risky in my opinion.

-Dan

Hi Dan:

When is the next time you're coming back up? After a 3 year lay off I am back up in Kotz but just for hunting season. Drop me a line next time you're coming up.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals

Last 4 days of August and first 10 days of Sept. Maybe we can break some bread at Bayside.

-Dan

Might happen!

I tried to stay out of Kotz after I moved in 2008 but there were dozens of hunters who contacted me about the void that I left. I met some really great guys over the years and decide to re-take the plunge. We are doing limited packages, Drops and Float hunts and no ala-cart stuff any more.

Are you hitting the Wulik for Dollies?

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

Walt,
    I am happy you have returned. I always appreciated your posts and insight into the area. I have moved from Juneau to Homer and will be hunting in Kotz in 2013 (every odd year). I fly out with Jim Kincaid and will use him again. I have been hunting the Anisak the last couple of trips and love the area. I would like to discuss with you some float options. I have alot of time, so I am in no hurry. Let me know when a good time to call you wold be.

I've floated the Wulik a couple times, only once to hunt it though. We spent 12 days in Aug/Sept. of '03. Hunting and fishing. We saw a few moose, several grizzly's, and a lot of caribou. Caught some very nice char and grayling. Beautiful country up there for sure.

my moose.jpgmy bear.jpg