Thread: DB291 East Afognak Brown Bear, would appreciate some info

Default DB291 East Afognak Brown Bear, would appreciate some info

I have PM'd a few guys on here, trying not to repost the same thing over and over again. But I haven't found much info on the DB291 draw tag (East Afognak Island).. Has anyone hunted this before? I have never been to Kodiak or the surrounding area and would greatly appreciate any information that could be given in terms of the terrain and the bear patterns I could expect during the spring.

I was originally considering making the hunt from 1-15 MAY, however I would really like to get a bear with no rubs so he would make a great rug. Does the 1-15MAY dates sound right for this, or should I make my trip earlier?

Also, for those that have hunted this area, what size bear can I expect to see on average? Like anyone else, I would love to get a large bear, but I am not sure what would be considered a large bear for this area...

I greatly appreciate any information that can be given about this area. I am trying to do as much research on it as possible, however I am currently in Afghanistan and it can be rather rare on how often I can get more than 30 minutes behind a computer with internet access. The time I do get here, I try to devote to the wife as much as possible.

Well, thank you very much for any information.

Oh, and I do have one other question.. I currently own a 300mag, but am looking at getting a 375H&H or 375 Ruger for this hunt.. Any suggestions between those rifles? Do you think the 300mag will do the job?

Thanks,
    Frank
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

Frank

Get in contact with Larry Van Daele, the wildlife biologist on Kodiak. He will have some information for you pertaining to your hunt. I know he helped make mine a successful hunt a couple of years ago.

Size of the bear you harvest is going to depend on you and your standards/ethics. There are some monsters on there..and youngsters...There are many variables that come into play when it comes to hunting bears or any animal. Do you ever plan on hunting them again, is this a once in a lifetime hunt for you, if an 8ft shows up with an awesome hide..are you going to shoot him or hold out on that 9fter? You are going to have to look at the big picture on this and do some soul searching regarding what you want to do and not what someone else might try and get you to do. Is this going to be a guided hunt or solo hunt?

I would stick with the 300...flat shooting and plenty of gun for browns. Your dates are not bad either... I went on the 21st of April and should have arrived a week later in my mind.. It changes every year and the movement of the bears does as well...by the 1st of May they all should be out and you will be fine. Others might have more to say....on this. I know there are some locals on this forum that live on Kodiak and might be able to help you with the weather patterns and give you more information. Sounds like youíre on a good start for planning.

Get a good packing list, good gear, contact Larry on Kodiak, get some good optics(as 14hrs of your day will be behind them) coordinate your travel plans early with one of the air taxi's and go for it...enjoy the scenery and the time spent there..hunt hard and never give up...if you get a nice bear, consider it a bonus!

Good luck.
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

DH01,

Thanks for all the information. I plan on this being a DIY hunt with my father. I will need to look into a better set of optics for sure, I have already started checking out spotting scopes, but I am not coming to the conclusion that I will need better binos as well. I have tried to e-mail Larry, but no reply as of yet. And being out where I am right now, I cannot make a phone call to him. But at least, with your information, I know I am looking in the right direction.

Also, I do consider this a once in a lifetime hunt, although I am a resident of AK, I do not plan on doing a hunt like this, especially with my father, again. I was thinking that I would like to take a 9'+ bear with a nice hide, however, I just wanted to see if that goal was obtainable in that area.

Do you think the hides will still be ok for the last 2 weeks of the season? That was my primary reason for thinking about going earlier in the season.

Again, thanks for the help.
    Frank

Outdoor Guy, Thank you for your service to our country. I wish you the best of luck on this hunt. I drew DB292 (north/east of your area) and am also having the fun that you are doing my planning.
    If you haven't yet nailed down transport or shelter options you might contact Bob at www.whalepasslodge.com. He has a private cabin in your area and could also transport you to/from cabin and quite possibly different hunting areas.

On this map http://www.nativesofkodiak.com/forms...mit_policy.pdf you'll see that much of the area is native owned. Contact www.afognak.com for land use permits(kinda pricey but quite possibly well worth it)

About 2/3 of the way down this page is a good video on field judging http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ultimedia.main

And just for your entertainment here's what you're looking forward to:

You will be fine with the hides..they either will be rubbed or not..it again will be your choice. I took mine on day 10 of a 14 day hunt...saw one on day 3 and just could not close the deal. I too, was on a hunt of a lifetime and to me I wanted one bad, had dreamed of this my whole life it seamed. I didnít want one rubbed out bad as most hunters donít. I got real lucky with my 8.5fter. even though his back was evenly rubbed a little the 9in mane hair and full black socks made him worth it. It looks great and brings back some awesome memories spent on Kodiak. I cant wait to go out in May to chase another one. (different area due to regs).

Stick with good quality binos..you will spend more time behind them then the spotter. When that 8fters walks out and has a beautiful hide.. I have a funny feeling that trigger is going to get pulled...lol...good luck and enjoy the time spent with the ol'man...that is awesome you two are doing this. enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorGuy View Post
    DH01,

Thanks for all the information. I plan on this being a DIY hunt with my father. I will need to look into a better set of optics for sure, I have already started checking out spotting scopes, but I am not coming to the conclusion that I will need better binos as well. I have tried to e-mail Larry, but no reply as of yet. And being out where I am right now, I cannot make a phone call to him. But at least, with your information, I know I am looking in the right direction.

Also, I do consider this a once in a lifetime hunt, although I am a resident of AK, I do not plan on doing a hunt like this, especially with my father, again. I was thinking that I would like to take a 9'+ bear with a nice hide, however, I just wanted to see if that goal was obtainable in that area.

Do you think the hides will still be ok for the last 2 weeks of the season? That was my primary reason for thinking about going earlier in the season.

Again, thanks for the help.
    Frank
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

DH01 - haha yes, you are right about the trigger being pulled on a 8fter with a good hide. I know I would take him if the hide looked good.

akiceman25 - thank for the info! good luck to you on your hunt as well! we should keep in contact and share info that could help each other out, not like we are in the exact same location anyways

Post db 292 hunt

Thanks for the great thread guys. I picked up a db 292 tag for this spring and have done most of the planning already except where exactly i want to hunt. Mr Crye at the Kodiak AKF&G recommended a few like Marka and Paramanoff. Any experience with 292 or suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidmanderson View Post
    Thanks for the great thread guys. I picked up a db 292 tag for this spring and have done most of the planning already except where exactly i want to hunt. Mr Crye at the Kodiak AKF&G recommended a few like Marka and Paramanoff. Any experience with 292 or suggestions? Thanks a lot.
    Kidmanderson, Welcome to the forum! I'll be making a call to Mr. Crye soon also and will be going with his suggestions, I'm sure. Are you tenting it? or making shelter in a cabin? Feel free to post a hunt report w/pic incl if possible after your hunt.... we all LOVE reading others experiences 'round here!

Outdoorguy... sounds good! I've also been in contact with a gentleman who drew a DB293(east Afognak) and am sharing info with him. Any good stuff I'll make sure to pass along.

Fellas, WE GOIN' HUNTIN! (yes, i'm slightly stoked) <GRIN>

We hunted Paramanof Bay 3 years ago in the fall. Lots of deadfall to trip you up in the timber harvest areas. My mistake, to spot an animal (3 elk, 1 deer, 1 bear) and then take your eyes off. I would range the entire area. See an animal, shoot an animal. Do not look down, do not move, chamber your rifle and shoot the first legal animal you see.
    By the way, much of the land is owned by Natives, and the trespass fee is steep.
    3 of us saw 5 legal animals in 8 days. Probably not what you wanted to hear.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Just a little excited akiceman?? Oh come on now! You and I both know we are stoked!! haha

Anyways, a few more questions..

1 - After some extensive reading into some older thread, has anyone tried calling for brown bear? If so, how did it would out and would you suggest it?

2 - My wife is finally getting interesting in hunting and I was thinking about taking her blacktail hunting this fall after I return to AK. I was considering the possibility of going to my spring bear area on Afognak to do some scouting while deer hunting there. Anyone ever deer hunted this area before? Are there a lot of deer there? Also, due to this past winter, is deer hunting there advisable or no?

Thanks again for everyone's info.

@MKay,

thanks for the info on paramanoff. I'm actually leaning towards Marka Bay right now. Mr Crye (907)486-1880 was saying that its more wild than most spots on Afognak due to less logging in the area. Its also got the advantage of being relatively close to Kodiak so the flight is cheaper. Andrews airways is giving me a $505 dollar quote for one way to Marka. I also scheduled a zodiak with motor from Kodiak Kamps in order to get around while i'm out there. The last thing i want to see is a bear across the river that i can't get to. I'm willing to pay the native land use permit as well to get to some higher percentage spots.

I'm definitely of the opinion that you don't pass up a beautiful 8' bear for the chance at a bigger one unless he's standing right next to him. Mr Joe Want from fairbanks was saying that a good tip on finding boars in the spring is to get on the trail of a sow or a sow with cubs and wait. Apparently, there's a good chance there's gonna be a boar following quickly to get some lovin or try to pick off a cub.

I have done this successfully many times with Blacks and seen it done on browns.

Foxpro or just your little wabbit call works great..but be ware...once they lock the position down..they will come with a HUGE appetite. my buddy shot a black bear at 9 yards coming to the call. We shot him at the first time we could see him..never knew we were there. But if he would have,, I have not doubt it would of been exciting.

Be careful doing this and good luck

Just a little excited akiceman?? Oh come on now! You and I both know we are stoked!! haha

Anyways, a few more questions..

1 - After some extensive reading into some older thread, has anyone tried calling for brown bear? If so, how did it would out and would you suggest it?

2 - My wife is finally getting interesting in hunting and I was thinking about taking her blacktail hunting this fall after I return to AK. I was considering the possibility of going to my spring bear area on Afognak to do some scouting while deer hunting there. Anyone ever deer hunted this area before? Are there a lot of deer there? Also, due to this past winter, is deer hunting there advisable or no?

Thanks again for everyone's info.

First of all, I would like to say thanks to everyone for the replies to this thread. Your information and inputs have been invaluable to my research for this hunt. I am looking forward to posting my success story along with pictures here

I think I have pretty much all my plans ironed out, except... I am not sure whether I should concentrate my efforts on the Tonki Bay are or the Izhut Bay area.. Any suggestions? I have heard suggestions for both, but not much explanation after that.. Keep in mind I will have a zodiak for trans. if needed. With the zodiak in mind, I was thinking the Izhut Bay area, however I was also trying not to run into too many hunters and it seems the Izhut Bay is where a lot of hunting pressure is focused every year.. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

First of all, I would like to say thanks to everyone for the replies to this thread. Your information and inputs have been invaluable to my research for this hunt. I am looking forward to posting my success story along with pictures here

I think I have pretty much all my plans ironed out, except... I am not sure whether I should concentrate my efforts on the Tonki Bay are or the Izhut Bay area.. Any suggestions? I have heard suggestions for both, but not much explanation after that.. Keep in mind I will have a zodiak for trans. if needed. With the zodiak in mind, I was thinking the Izhut Bay area, however I was also trying not to run into too many hunters and it seems the Izhut Bay is where a lot of hunting pressure is focused every year.. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
    The only two air taxis I've heard of are Andrews and Seahawk so you might contact Andrews to see if they are dropping anyone in those bays. Or even contacting the guides on Afognak to see if they plan to hunt there.

While typing this I pulled up Google earth to look at those bays. It appears that Tonki bay has fairly steep mountains(if you will) dropping into it. Whereas Izhut has areas of land that gradually declines to sea level along with many little nooks and crannys to explore. As a guessing man, I'd say the possibility of any tidal flats and other accessible areas would be greater in Izhut Bay.

Just like the other Afognak tags, your area alots 17 tags but on average only half of those actually hunt. That leaves a mere 7-10 hunters in the entire area. Thats about 1 hunter per 40-48 sq miles. Optimism my friend!

The zodiac should prove to be invaluable in your hunt. If you do find hunters, you can zoom right outta there!

Can't wait to read your hunt report...
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Look up Island Air in Kodiak. Talk to Bob Stanford (the owner). Also, look up Afognak Wilderness Lodge,call them, ask for Luke Randall (Owner). His family built their lodge in Seal Bay in 1968. luke is born and raised in the area and is one of the most knowledgable guides for Afognak & Raspberry Island IMO. I grew up in Kodiak (1987-1996) and know both of these gentlemen well. Tell them Schwemley sent you. Good Luck. Prepare to get wet (kodiak isn't known for its sunshine).

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Thats about 1 hunter per 40-48 sq miles. Optimism my friend!
    Great way to look at it!

Thank you both for the suggestions, I will look into those 3 fly in companies.