Thread: Final trapline check...pics and dog butts <Grin>

Default Final trapline check...pics and dog butts <Grin>

Been pulling lines, some pics from the downriver line the other day. Caught the two nicest chocolate brown marten I think I've caught all year.

Wanted to show a more full pic of the above marten set, I posted a pic of a similar birch tree on hunting forum a couple years ago, it's along some beaver ponds a bit off the river, where the 2010 August flood did this:

All that brown stuff is moss and other debris from the flood, still hard to believe it got that far up the trees in this area.

The last day's catch:

Lori snapped that when I got back, camera lens was all frosted.

What would a post be without some dog butts <grin>!

So...end of season here too, thanks to all who've posted their trapline activities this winter! Heading to town and I'll make sure and drink a brewski for ya'll <grin>.

Man, looks like some tough work for those dogs to pull your butt through that snow. Good stuff, though! As always, thanks for sharing. I might have to bend your ear over the next year on your marten sets. I've got some ideas percolating.

Lynx! Where there is one, should be more.
    I think it would be educational for the uninformed to hear what sort of numbers you catch. How does the catch vary from year to year. How many traps are out.
    No wolverine this year? Didn't you get 2 last year? Seems like there is always a couple wolverine around where ever I have been/trapped.
    Hope the fur buyers treat you well.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Great Pic's and story Mark! Always enjoyable and congrats on another successful trapping season for you. You'll be pleased to know that we are going to the dogs next season. Several mushers have offered to set my son up with everything he needs, so we'll probably start out with 3 to 4 dogs and running the trapline with that. Question.. how do you keep the dogs out of the traps for your ground sets?

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Man, nice looking marten for sure! I suspect by the looks of things that your country doesn't hold alot of criitters. Alot like my area. But the few there are, they sure are nice and healthy. Congrats Mark!

Claude, you really do have to be careful with ground sets when running dogs. I don't do any trail sets, but have some ground sets under marten traps that are pretty close to the trail, I set the hook before those and walk up and turn the trap on its side, then reset after we are by.

It's mostly an issue when you have something caught, the dogs are curious, took a long while to teach them not to bite hanging marten as we go by <grin>. Forget about it if you have something alive, they pretty much want to get it unless it's a wolf.

Main thing is the cardinal rule, don't lose your team, don't ever let go of the rig. I've had it happen, luckily they never ended up in a trail snare or ground set. Cool you guys are getting into dogs next season, our kids sure loved it.

No wolverine this year Mike. Didn't see any wolf sign to speak of either. Will see Wivoda in town to sell fur, he always treats me good.

Thanks for all the great posts this year Mark! Always look forward to seeing them. Do you get out in the spring and chase beaver? Are there many rats in your area? I love the fact you still use dogs. Look forward to seeing a few posts of yours this spring and summer around your cabin.

Chris

Very cool pics Mark - thx!
    Curious, if you catch a wolf does the rest of the pack hang around trying to help it or do they just leave it?
    I am also very curious as to what kind of fur numbers does a trapper catch in AK on average?
    When I trapped here in IL if you didn't take 500 - 1000 m'rats and 300 - 500 coon you were not trying. Never broke a 100 fox year but got to 96 once in 1974.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Marten are up this year and nice darks like that should be worth good coin! Nice work all around!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Great pics as usual Mark! Those pics showing the flood debris always amaze me when I think of how little water you normally have around you.