Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mudd Buddy vs Go Devil?

Default Mudd Buddy vs Go Devil?

Im thinking about purchasing one of these boat and motor set ups in the next year. I have seen the Mudd Buddy in action out by Palmer and was impressed; however, Ihave also seen the Go Devils in aciton and they seem just as capable. If anyone has any pros and cons about the two I would greatly appreciate to hear what you have to say? I was looking at the surface drives over the longtails on a 16 to 18 foot mud boat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckup View Post
    Im thinking about purchasing one of these boat and motor set ups in the next year. I have seen the Mudd Buddy in action out by Palmer and was impressed; however, Ihave also seen the Go Devils in aciton and they seem just as capable. If anyone has any pros and cons about the two I would greatly appreciate to hear what you have to say? I was looking at the surface drives over the longtails on a 16 to 18 foot mud boat.

Thanks
    Go here:http://www.mudmotortalk.com

Right from the boat builders and riggers you can get all of your answers. The search feature will save you much time.

Thanks Slabhunter That is an awesome site just what I was looking for.

Ruckup, there are some converts up here that run mud motors in Alaska. If you're from Alaska, these guys may provide better info. There are at least six forum members that run mud motors, and the duck hunting forum may have more. Don't forget about the Copperhead Mud Motors. I've pushed 1,800 lbs with a copperhead 12 hp on the Yukon. I will be testing the Copperhead 18 hp this summer on the Yukon. Check out the canoeing forum for info on both the copperheads, and the mud buddy minis.

Ruckup i have one of the surface drives from mudbuddy and can attest to it.I have not been involved with go devil at all.I have also ran one of the long tails i was not impressed with them .Running in tite quarters the prop had a habit of getting were you did not want it to be .Through the slough's that surface drive will get you grinning from ear o ear when you look behind you and all can see is green water raising 6-8 ft up in the air.It does take some getting used to .Always carry a good pushpole or two.And most of all go and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckup View Post
    Thanks Slabhunter That is an awesome site just what I was looking for.
    You're most welcome!

And as you see, the Alaskans who are using them are finding this thread so much practical application advice from those who use them everyday is the best of all.

hey Ruckup ...

Check out the canoeing forum on here. We've been discussing Surface-Drives for at least the last 3 years .... The archives offer many threads. We've been using them on large freighter canoes, although they work splendidly on other types of boats. In the Fairbanks area, there are at least 4 MudBuddy MiniHDs - 1 18hp and 3 23hp on Scott Hudson Bay freighters (21', 2000# capacity). They've proven to be efficient, economical and Alaska proven tough.

There are many brands of mud motors other than MudBuddy or Go-Devil ... those I know of are Orion Outboards, Bog Hog Mud Motors, Pro-Drive, Gator-Tail Outboards and a newer firm called Copperhead. Take your pick. There are probably others I haven't come across yet. Motors can be had from 6 hp to over 50+ hp, depending on your needs. Check them out.

PS ... I am selling nothing. My post is simply for information.

Likewise,

There are a number of 6.5 hp, 12 hp, and 18 hp copperheads being run up here in Alaska. For my uses, I prefer the lightest weight possible, and I get that with the Copperheads. The customer service is excellent, and I have no problem helping out too since I've put a good 125 hrs. on mine. The 12 hp with 1800 lbs (people, gas, gear, supplies) will burn 3 gallons of gas going 100 miles down the Yukon. With about 1,200-1,400 lbs, you'll burn 10 gallons of gas for every 100 miles going UP the Yukon in a freighter canoe. I'll be testing fuel figures with the 18 hp Copperhead this spring. So far, I've used mine for fly fishing, dipnetting on the Kenai, pulling boats out of the mud, hauling supplies, moose/bear hunting, caribou hunting, run class lll whitewater and wildlife photography. Folks seem to be very happy with the Mudbuddy minis too.

The 12 hp copperhead will perform like a 15 hp outboard, but with the torque of a 20 hp outboard. I get about equal fuel mileage as a fourstroke tohatsu 9.8 that I used to have on a smaller square sterned canoe that I ran on the Yukon River.

Here is a video that copperhead put out of the 18:

Mainer I have not heard about them before but thier motors look good. Thanks for the info on the other forums also.

Ducks
    I seen the local Mudbuddy dealer from the Anchorage last fall at a pond by Wasilla and even though I didnt ride in his boat I was pretty impressed with how it ran and also with talking with him about the motors. Your right the mud,grass and muck roster tail did look pretty cool!!

Rick Thanks for the info. I have seen most of the mud motor dealers on line, except copperhead, it just seemed like mud muddy and go devils were some of the more popular motors here in AK. At least from what i have seen so far. Im real interested about how they work with the larger canoe's. I will be checking out the forum next. Thanks again

Hey Ruckup ...

The canoeing section of the AOD forum has the most extensive discussions of S-D motors/canoes to be found anywhere. By users with actual experience. I assume you'e in the Anch. area. Should be some of most brands down there.

If you get to the Fairbanks area after breakup, give a call. A friend with a Hudson Bay/MBMini23 took me for a ride in his rig last June. I'd already ordered my HB, but hadn't decided on a motor. That 3 hour trip convinced me that my HB deserved a S-D.

Happy huntin'.

Rick
    I live in Eagle River but I do get up to FB a few times through out the summer and I would hit you up, however all this summer i will be out of the country. After my research Iam pretty sold on the S-Ds I just have to settle on a boat. I have never been in HB but they do seem pretty appealing considering how much wieght you can carry. I have not reviewed the specs or price yet but I definately will not take them off the list.

Thanks

I bought a Mudbuddy BD 4500 from Mark last spring. I'm completely satisfied with its performance and am impressed with its abilities. I have not had this much fun driving boats in a long time. It has sort of become my go to boat now, and it leaves the bigger IB river boat parked more than it used to. Plenty of power and burns around 2.5 gph. Sometimes less. Its biggest limitation is shallow gravel or hard bottomed water. Ok if you are on step and can skip through, but if you shut down in this, your gonna be pushing until you have a bit of water underneath you to get going again. Other than that, its a truley versatile boat for Alaska.

Hey Dallen, What size boat do you have & which motor size & style did you get.

I have a 16 foot Alumaweld, 6 foot beam.

I am switching over from a Merc 85 jet to a Godevil but looking for as much info as I can before ordering the motor.

Thanks for this post.
    RJ Simington

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post

I am switching over from a Merc 85 jet to a Godevil but looking for as much info as I can before ordering the motor.

Thanks for this post.
    RJ Simington
    Might wanna post on the MudmotorTalk.com board for advice as there is no Go-Devil made that will come close to equalling that Jet's performance. And remember, Go-Devil does NOT have Neutral or Reverse!

The longtails have their place to be sure but the Copperhead line of medium HP engines are superior to the GD. So long as you stay OUT of the rocks, these engines will get'er done.

There are rock guards available for the skegs on S-Ds that do well protecting the prop.

Further, the next generation of S-D technology ... the MudBuddy SportV and SportH motors have been announced, and will be available for sale in August this year. They use large block Vanguard power heads ... gear driven, no belts, cast steel lower ends, and other advances including neutral and reverse. I've long thought that S-D technology will soon mature and move into the mainline outboard market. The new motors involve a number of patented design features that will begin the demise of the small mom & pop makers. Interesting to watch S-D technology advance.

PS ... I am selling nothing. This is for information only.

Slab,

Most of us converted to a Surface Drive Because of rocks, gravel and other shallows. I know I've hit hundreds of rocks thus far. What I've seen on the Yukon Region is a pitch fork with home made bracket bolted under the SD motors. I've seen this method used all over the Yukon. A few folks up there run these motors due to fuel economy. They run skinny john boats with surface drives. I have a pitch fork modified and welded to a bracket. It was given to me by a close friend, but I'm not sure I'll run it. The pitch forks are very flexible steel, which is why folks use em to deflect the energy of hitting rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Slab,

Most of us converted to a Surface Drive Because of rocks, gravel and other shallows. I know I've hit hundreds of rocks thus far. What I've seen on the Yukon Region is a pitch fork with home made bracket bolted under the SD motors. I've seen this method used all over the Yukon. A few folks up there run these motors due to fuel economy. They run skinny john boats with surface drives. I have a pitch fork modified and welded to a bracket. It was given to me by a close friend, but I'm not sure I'll run it. The pitch forks are very flexible steel, which is why folks use em to deflect the energy of hitting rocks.
    I've seen those and one of those Yukoners was on a fishing board recently disussion his experimenting. Great thing about the motors is the are in almost every instance field repairable save for catastrophic failure or damage. A regular tool kit, basic mechanical sense and the wide availability of easy to carry along parts is very hard to beat for applications far away from everybody.

There was talk about GD debuting a new engine and such but I've not yet seen it. The MB folks are not waiting on anybody though and the guys up the Northern Mississippi & Missouri Rivers are buying up faster than they can make them.

A family friend just bought a locally produced mm & boat and hopefully when all returns to normal I'll travel South and go for a ride in the backwaters of the Oconee River.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post

Thanks for this post.
    RJ Simington
    I have an excel 1851, with a blackdeath 4500. Love it. Great boat, turns nice and is very well built.

Jets have their place, so do mm's. I think a mm is a bit more versatile than a jet as it eats weeds, grass, dirt, mud etc....like it was made to. I have both, use the mm far more than any other I own.

I have a rock guard on my skag, which keeps the prop out of the rocks for the most part. Also help in sand as it keeps the prop from getting ate too quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast