I am going to be very limited in what I can take with me into the field (caribou then fly into a new spot for moose solo). I have a lot of high qualty lightweight gear but I am still having to wrestle with some choices so I wanted some input on the following iffy/heavy items. Unit 20a
1. I really want a spotting scope, and a tripod for it, particularly for glassing caribou before I make long hikes for small bulls. Also for getting close looks at moose to judge size/brown tines. However the lowest I can get is 5 pounds, and right now that is not going to cut it since I have a total limit of 70 pounds. Your thoughts? My binos are Nikon monarch 8x42
2. backpack, badlads 4500, sure would like a better option at 5 pounds vs 6.5 pounds for 4500.
3. Ax, roughly 1.5 pounds, never used one on elk, would like to have one but I think this will have to get cut off my final list.
4. Can anyone guess what a remington 700 .270 mnt rifle weighs with scope, synthetic stock and some ammo? I am guessing 8 pounds (I do not have a accurate scale that goes over 5 pounds).
5. Bipod for rifle (0.7 pounds - stoney point bipod) and trekking poles (0.8 pounds for two). I might drop bipod and use trekking poles lashed together if needed for a rest (I do not think I need a rest for moose but maybe caribou). I might take bipod for caribou the swap it for trekking poles when I move for moose.
6. Game bags, how many and what size tags bags for a whole boned moose? I will take 2 contractor trash bags and might take one less tags bag and use a contractor bag instead (saves about 0.3 pounds).
7. Boots, issues here. Most will be surprised but I have used a hiking shoes (Vasque) for almost every hunt - in almost every weather. I have carried heavy loads over brutally rough terrain, stayed warm in 25 degree weather, and they are comfy and light. However moose may involve water/marsh etc. Caribou should be high so I do not anticipate wet areas (do you agree)?
8. What does a sat phone weigh? I have a VHF radio and cell phone but I think I will have to rent a sat phone to best communicate as needed, worth it to not have to sit and wait after tagging a caribou and wanting to move.