Thread: hunting boot question

Question hunting boot question

I know there are a lot of these but I knida have a unique question that I couldn't answer using the search.

I drew a goat tag for this fall and figured I might need something other then my extra tuffs that are a size too big so I need a pair of good hunting boots but I have two feet conditions 1) I wear size 4EE wide shoes (this is why my tuffs are bigger) and 2) my feet pronate, I runined a pair of hiking shoes I had because of this. So my question is are most hunting boots built for people who pronate or are there some special boots for me out there?

thanks for the help

I don't know about pronating, but the only extra wide boots I can find are Lowas. All the others are too narrow for my feet.

Many of the quality boot makers (Meindl, Lowa, Kenetrek) make wides, but 4EE may be harder to come by. If your really serious about getting some boots to fit you feet you may consider Hanwag sold through Lathrop and Sons. I say serious because they cost a pretty penny. In the end though you'd have a boot custom made/modified to fit your feet. If you have a local boot repair shop that can modify or stretch boots you may talk to them about how they could help fit some boots to your feet.

As far as boots for pronated feet, I don't know that any of the manufacturers design a boot specifically for pronation. I think most people deal with this through insoles designed for pronation.

Lathrop and Sons have excellent boots and they are podiatrists......check with em!
    They fitted me up very well.

Cabela's Perfekt Hunter (10") comes in an EE and is naturally wider. I love them. I have used them on a goat hunt as well.

how about leather hunting boots???

Quote Originally Posted by IglooBoy88 View Post
    how about leather hunting boots???
    If you're talking about just plain ones like Danners and such, not a good idea for the rocks. You need a boot with real good ankle support.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you're talking about just plain ones like Danners and such, not a good idea for the rocks. You need a boot with real good ankle support.
    i was looking at cabelas website, the cabelas iron ridge boot is what i am eyeing on..would it be ok?

Take this advice for what you paid for it,,, but, as one that about lost his life on a goat hunt, I will just say this.

Goats live in some of the most dangerous terrain there is, many hunters die each year chasing them, they are a heavy animal and you will have a lot of weight on your back coming down and the need for a boot designed for mountain backpacking can not be stressed enough.

Also I will never hunt them again without some type of traction device.

Be safe

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Take this advice for what you paid for it,,, but, as one that about lost his life on a goat hunt, I will just say this.

Goats live in some of the most dangerous terrain there is, many hunters die each year chasing them, they are a heavy animal and you will have a lot of weight on your back coming down and the need for a boot designed for mountain backpacking can not be stressed enough.

Also I will never hunt them again without some type of traction device.

Be safe

Steve
    Thank you for the advice Steve, i'll be looking into other boots, this fall will be my third attempt for goat; the last time i was on the stalk but the fog rolled in very thick and i followed my gps trail down the mountain very slowly, it was nerve wrecking not being able to see

Quote Originally Posted by IglooBoy88 View Post
    i was looking at cabelas website, the cabelas iron ridge boot is what i am eyeing on..would it be ok?
    In my opinion.....no. You want a boot with VERY stiff ankle support. Meaning that you will almost break your leg before you roll an ankle. This is why many go with plastics. Personally I have used Cabella' Miendel type boots and have done well with them. Of course the last ones I bought (which I still have) cost me $379. too. They ain't cheap, but the old dogs take a beatin' up there. May as well protect them, as well as your body (per stid) when you're up there gettin' after em'.