Thread: Update Willow SNOW!!!!!

Wink Update Willow SNOW!!!!!

Over 1.5 ft of snow todays
    Deep stuff on over a 3 ft base.
    Somebody get out here and pack this chit down.
    We got Iditarod in a week. The dogs wil lbe swiming to Nome.
    Whatch for overflow with this deep dump on all the lakes!
    Had to go dig 2 out today
    Have fun and pack the trails for me.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I have been riding sleds for over 25 years...mostly trail riding and open country riding in the lower 48....The whole overflow thing has me asking questions?...I rode today and the lake i was cruising had a LOT of overflow...I have always believed "when in doubt power out"....but what are you experienced ladies and gents doing when you encounter a wet area on a foot of fresh snow...

Under what circumstances are folks getting stuck in the overflow and what is the best way to avoid the unseen until in it?

You got it - throttle up and DON'T STOP until your out of it.

As for avoiding it, following your buddy wouldn't be much fun . Overflow is somewhat unpredictable. You will have good solid ice one day and a few days later wet soggy overflow in the same spot. Sometimes overflow extends well up into the willows on the gravel bars far from where you would expect to find any water or wet conditions - beware.

Snowmachines with shorter tracks, smaller lugs, and smaller engines, often lack the flotation, traction, and power to escape the beast. Wide tracks and powerful deep powder machines can generally just power through, that is if you haven't already sunk up to your running boards and are going at a slow rate of speed before you realize your in trouble. Speed, momentum, power, and traction are your friend.

Might be a good idea to carry an extra pair of socks in the event you get mired in the crap.

Happy riding

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Thanks...I appreciate the advice...Yup...riding a summit...with lots of power...it seems the faster you go the less susceptible you are to sinking in it...but I can for sure feel the soft spots when I hit them...

There is considerably more snow on the lower SU and Yentna than what fell in Willow. Still snowing according to a neighbor. A legitimate 36" PLUS on the level since Saturday afternoon when it started. And yes, the overflow is showing up even in places where we usually don't see it. Iditarod weekend is going to be interesting. There's more snow in the forecast.

I think there is considerably more than 36" out on the rivers now. Some friends of ours on widetracks couldnt make it to their cabin and had to turn around at Luce's and it took them quite a while just to get there. This will be an awesome weekend for the longtracks for sure be careful and have fun!

Figures I'm going out this weekend on my fusion with a 121" track...I'll be following bearcats at least

Just returned from the river last night. I broke trail for miles on Sunday going in in a whiteout, got stuck a few times. Riding a Tundra LT pulling a sled.
    Came out yesterday following a track made by a superwide that came out to visit. If it were not for his packing down the trail I might have been stuck for a few days. The Tundra LT just runs out of energy after about 20' off the trail when it's 4' deep or better.
    Looks like the only guys that are getting around with ease were the superwides. Even the wide bearcat and scandic I met up with were turning around as they couldn't break trail in frsh powder without sticking them.
    It should be settling nicely with these sunny days and packing perfectly for the weekend.
    The overflow was everywhere and often, but thats to be expected after a heavy snow. Once the trail is run over a few times a cold night will freeze it right up.
    Be careful!
    BK

It's prime play time for off-trail powder busting but you'd better have your cowl vents screened or expect your cowls and airboxes to be plugged. My cowl was packed full within a half mile on Sunday afternoon. Wet clutches and no air to the carbs will stop you cold. Stopping in the fluff is not recommended! :-)

Petersville area saw a lot of snow too. I recently put frogzskin on the vents on my M8 and they certainly helped Sunday breaking trail back to the parking lot. Very little snow got inside the cowling. However, so much snow was piling up on the outside of the cowling that you could feel the engine struggle for breath sometimes. Going fast to stay on top was almost impossible for long before you were so covered you couldn't see anything!

Quote Originally Posted by polebender jr View Post
    I think there is considerably more than 36" out on the rivers now. Some friends of ours on widetracks couldnt make it to their cabin and had to turn around at Luce's and it took them quite a while just to get there. This will be an awesome weekend for the longtracks for sure be careful and have fun!
    hmmmm, longtrack [√] Free time this weekend [√] having fun [ ] <---- insert √ here on Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Just returned from the river last night. I broke trail for miles on Sunday going in in a whiteout, got stuck a few times. Riding a Tundra LT pulling a sled.
    Came out yesterday following a track made by a superwide that came out to visit. If it were not for his packing down the trail I might have been stuck for a few days. The Tundra LT just runs out of energy after about 20' off the trail when it's 4' deep or better.
    Looks like the only guys that are getting around with ease were the superwides. Even the wide bearcat and scandic I met up with were turning around as they couldn't break trail in frsh powder without sticking them.
    It should be settling nicely with these sunny days and packing perfectly for the weekend.
    The overflow was everywhere and often, but thats to be expected after a heavy snow. Once the trail is run over a few times a cold night will freeze it right up.
    Be careful!
    BK
    Got me a Super wide 4 stroke! No stopping me!

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Glad you enjoyed the packed trail coming out BK. I know I was glad to be able to follow your earlier morning track in to visit you. One thing's for sure, we weren't going to miss you, that trail led right to the back of your little Tundra. I tried to get off the trail a couple of times going back with the SWT and didn't get stuck, but it wasn't any fun wallowing around in all the wet, heavy stuff. After about 30 feet the snow would be piled up around my feet and coming up into my lap and I was standing up.

I've been reading about the Iditarod Invitational guys on the fat tired bikes, snowshoes and skis and they have really been challenged. Anyway I hope to back out for the weekend playing around in it.