Thread: 375 jrs ???

Default 375 jrs ???

Me and the misses were looking the used gun rack over at a gun shop this weekend, and there was a 375 JRS built on a Rem 700 action, Pacific Research stock, and shilen barrel. I have not heard of this cartridge, what do you guys know about it. Any information would be appreciated.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Me and the misses were looking the used gun rack over at a gun shop this weekend, and there was a 375 JRS built on a Rem 700 action, Pacific Research stock, and shilen barrel. I have not heard of this cartridge, what do you guys know about it. Any information would be appreciated.
    John R. Sundra (JRS) necked an 8mm Remington Magnum to 375 caliber. Its performance is indistinguishable from the .375 H&H AI or 375 Weatherby. Winchester cataloged the cartridge from their custom shop for several years (maybe most of the nineties) and I've seen a couple of their rifles chambered for it and a few "customized" rifles in the vein of the 700 you mention. It should be a great cartridge, though its lack of popularity is no surprise.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

May be the initials of Jon R Sundra - used to be well known gun rag writer. Jon should be in his mid seventies now - not sure if he is still alive as I have not seen him the last few SCI conventions that I have attended. I would not be surprised if it is one OF THE MANY improved 375's that have been developed over the years. That is a bit surprising as Jon's favorite caliber is the 7mm. If you find out I am right I may still have some contact info.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

He was alive as of Nov 2011...

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a good cartridge. Sounds like he was a neat person, also.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!