Thread: Leica Rangefinders ?

Default Leica Rangefinders ?

What is the difference between the LRF and CRF? Any real world advantage of the 1200 over the 900? Instead of asking Doug at Cameraland directly I thought he (or anyone else) would answer here for the benefit of others.

EDIT: Oh, and what is the Safari?

Default LRF vs CRF

Here you go bud. I researched these extensively in the fall. The CRF is the PERFECT package IMHO. There are some fine points here if you want to have a look. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...a+Rangefinders

Thanks, I had read that thread but still don't know what the actual difference is between the two. Did I miss something?

Forum Sponsor

The optics and laser in the LRF's and CRF's are the same. The differences in those models is the physical size (CRF much smaller) and the CRF is waterproof to the LRF which is water resistant. The Safari and Black LRF's are identical, just a color difference.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Default hmmm...

Snyd, I won't detest Dougís explanation, as he is the expert. I will tell you that I still believe they are not the same unit. I used each one in the field side-by-side and the LRF did not compare. The optics seemed more crisp to me, but they may have the same glass. The distinct difference I found was in the laser. I have a hard time believing they have the same image capturing ability. Maybe the unit I used was malfunctioning, but I can tell you that the CRF I used picked up and held the slightest difference in distance, where the LRF had a difficult time even picking up the target. I had heard that the LRF models were not at all waterproof. I came across reviews that said a heavy fog made the unit malfunction. I spoke with the Leica rep about this and he confirmed the stories and it was his recommendation that the LRF only be used on sunny days on the golf course. And beyond all of that, the CRF fits in the palm of your hand and is a breeze to use!

Thatís my story and Iím stickin too itÖuntil someone proves me otherwise, that is.

Forum Sponsor

Was the one you were using the original LRF 1200 or a LRF 1200 Scan?
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. Sounds like the crf is the unit. Looks like a may be doing some guiding for elk for three weeks in Colorado this october so will need one and a new spotter too! I'll be in touch Doug. I've been wanting a Pentax 65-ED-A (don't want anything any larger and heavier) and the CRF. Been waiting for the right time to buy the Pentax. Sold my Burris a few months ago. Nice scope just not much eye releif.

LRF Scan? Oh boy, more questions.... what's the difference?

I have an LRF800, the original Leica rangefinder. If I was in the market today I'd buy a CRF because I find the shape easier to hold and activate. Aside from that I find the original design offers excellent acquistition and ranging so I continue to use it.

Red face Doug

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug View Post
    Was the one you were using the original LRF 1200 or a LRF 1200 Scan?
    I wish I could answer that honestly I was using whatever unit was modeled after the "Pinmaster". The rep said that it was the same unit, they just took the name "pinmaster" off of it to try and market it to hunters. And he said it's been a recreation ever since they had so many problems with the waterproof problem. Maybe I need to stand corrected on my information...Please enlighten me!

Snyd

I got a CRF 1200 from Doug right before they released the CRF 900. Probably would have gone with the 900 but needless to say I am tickled pink with the CRF 1200. I have ranged targets well past 1200 yards with it. It gives you your reading immediately. As you know I had turrets installed on my VX-III for the Kimber and believe it doesn't get any better with the complete combo. This year all critters better look out.

By the way, my LRF 800 has survived light rain, fog, sweat, and everything else I've exposed it to. Every range finder I've tried has worked like dung in anything more than light rain so the waterproof issue isn't very important to me. For what it's worth.