Thread: Devil's Pass cabin, Resurrection Pass

Default Devil's Pass cabin, Resurrection Pass

I planned a trip for this summer over Resurrection Pass but the reservUSA website that facilitates cabin booking indicated that Devil's Pass cabin is closed for maintenance, so we had to book the next cabin down, making that day a long one (18 miles). Now I'm getting moaning and groaning from my group about the 18 miles part so my question is, does anyone know when that cabin is set to open again? And what is the number I would call to find out?

Thanks a lot- Garnet

Not sure of the number to call, but, 18 miles in one day on the resurection trail is easily done, no worries. I've hiked the trail from begining to end 9 times. Once we did the entire trip in 3 days! Excellent hike, you'll have fun.

Default Devil's Pass Cabin

I don't get it. On the new http://www.recreation.gov/welcome.do?topTabIndex=Home

it shows it available. It was rebuilt last summer, so was shut down then. We have it booked for the traverse in June. We have Fox, Devil's, & Juneau Lake Cabins.

I've done the Rez trail a number of times & prefer to keep it to 13 mile days max. But 18 is certainly doable!

Hmm. That link suggests it's booked all except the 6th/7th of june, so I assume all the other days are taken? My trip isn't till two weeks after that. I did attempt to book 6 months in advance of the trip, as people suggest, but at that time it showed Devils Pass cabin as being closed. ****, that's annoying. Yeah, I'm sure we can handle one day of 18 miles...

Thanks

Default Resurrection

Possibly you were ahead of the 180 days & they were still showing the Devil's Pass Cabin as not rentable since it was being rebuilt last summer.

Are you starting from Hope?

You could perhaps still book Caribou Creek, Fox Creek or East Creek to shorten your hike .

Or if you are starting at Cooper Landing end you could maybe still reserve Trout Lake?

Or perhaps you could bivy a night?

It's what I consider an easy trail.

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Possibly you were ahead of the 180 days & they were still showing the Devil's Pass Cabin as not rentable since it was being rebuilt last summer.

Are you starting from Hope?

You could perhaps still book Caribou Creek, Fox Creek or East Creek to shorten your hike .

Or if you are starting at Cooper Landing end you could maybe still reserve Trout Lake?

Or perhaps you could bivy a night?

It's what I consider an easy trail.

yeah, we're starting from Hope and ending at Cooper Landing. For the first night I booked whatever cabin comes first, at about 7.5 miles... I figured with the drive out from Anch and the shuffling of cars, no sense hurrying. Then the second night at Swan Lake, and third night planning to hit the second vehicle by end of the day and just car camp. I suppose we could see about swapping cabins on the first night making that first day a little longer... but it's probably reserved by now. I'm not concerned at all about 18 miles, but my sister is scared. She's also never seen a bear in real life and she's terrified from all she's heard about "bears in Alaska"...

The cabins make it so safe! Be sure to look for black bears up on the hills across from your first cabin, Caribou Creek.

I hike the Resurrection every summer & have only seen one brown bear there. Most of the brown bears are down in the Russian River June & July combat fishing right along with the fishermen! Lots of brown bear sign though along the trail.

The place to be careful & make a lot of noise is Juneau Falls, about 6 miles from the Copper Landing TH. The falls are noisy so we make a lot of noise & I've seen some salmon come up there.

If you are fishermen, you may want to catch some salmon in the Russian River run when you get off the trail. You'll be right next to one of the best red salmon rivers in the world!! You can fish at Russian River Ferry or in Russian River Campground area. Yum!

Be aware there are mountain bikers, especially on Sunday.

If you are hardy hikers/backpackers you will probably consider Rez Trail a stroll. And since you are cabining it you don't need tents. There are even wood stoves & bunks. Pretty plush!

Thank you. Fishing is something I need to research. I love fishing but haven't been since I was a kid, although I do own a rod. It's only been used for Alberta lake trout so I doubt it'll stand up to salmon.

Wink Resurrection Pass Trail

Hi,

We came to Alaska and hiked the Resurrestion Pass Trail in the August of 2002. We had an absolutely fantastic time and I'd love to come back again. We didn't use the cabins, but backpacked with a small tent. The first night we camped at Caribou Creek, and on the second night at Devil's Pass. This meant that our second day involved a hike of 17 miles. Not the sort of distance we normally do in one day, but I agree that it was very doable - even carrying tent, stove, etc.

Third night was spent at Shaft Creek. Saw loads of bear prints on the trail, and it looked like a grizzly had spent the night sleeping very close to our tent at Devil's Pass. We used bear canisters for storing our food.

On the day before we finished the trail, a couple a day in front of us was attacked by a grizzly and ended up hospitalized, but I understand they hadn't been making any noise, and didn't have pepper spray to hand. They apparently disturbed it on rounding a bend.

Don't let this put you off - it didn't put us off, and I'd come back and do it again tomorrow if I could! Just be sensible and make sure you make enough noise to let anything in front know you're coming.

Chrisse,
    England