Thread: ruger conversion

Default ruger conversion

I have a couple of blackhawks and a couple vaqueros and I have been thinking of converting one of them to bisley frame. Questions are how easy is it for a novice to do and how expensive is it to have gunsmith do it for me. How much do the conversion kits cost and are they still available? Where to buy them. Any other comments, concerns. Thanks for the advice. Red

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I think Brownells carries aftermarket grip frames still for the Rugers. I changed out a standard Vaquero to Birds Head Grip Frame years ago (about a year before Ruger offered it) and it was not difficult, but it was rather spendy. I seem to remember the stainless grip frame running around $150 or so... probably more now days. Problem is, once your that far in, then you might as well add the hammer, free spin pawl, a different ejector rod, and of course a belt mountain pin, some wolf spings, and maybe some really cool grips.... yeah... no limit to how crazy you can go or how much you can spend!

In all honesty, your probably money ahead to just go out and buy a bisley... Ha!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I'll need a bank loan, maybe two to do all that. But thanks, I think, hope the wife don't find out.

Like Alangaq said, easier and more cost effective just to buy one that is the way you want it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

If you really want a bisley, you also need to change the trigger and hammer. Rugers are polished with the grip frame assembled to the frame, so to do the job properly you really need to repolish and refinish the gun for the grip to match the frame.

You'll be far far ahead $ wise to sell your sbh and buy a bisley.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.