Thread: SS Question

Default SS Question

So I have a Tika T-3 SS and last fall while I was breaking brush up a mountain after a balck bear, the rifle was slung across the back, muzzle down, and the barrel took a beating. It looks like the finish is rubbed off in some areas or is this even possible? Is there something I can do to bring the finish back to it's original "shine"?

Thanks

SS can be beadblasted to make it look new again. Lots of choices as to blast media depending on the look that is desired. SS can also be polished so that it will shine like a mirror, but I don't think I've seen a factory Tikka "shine" like that. Beadblasting is easy enough to do on your own or you can have it done by a gunsmith. I think the last beadblasting I had done was about 40$, but it's been a couple of years and my memory is not what it used to be...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Have you tried to wash it? Try Brake Clean. I bet what you are seeing is the same plant juices that put brush "scratches" on your wheeler or truck. They usually aren't scratches, but deposits of plant matter.

Turtle Wax Chrome Polish/Cleaner in the can. Get it in the auto Dept of most stores. I use it on a Model 700 I bought in the early 90's, first year they came out. I use a terry cloth wash rag.

The brake cleaner suggestion gave me an idea so I tried WD-40. Worked great. Thanks for all the tips.

just be aware that WD-40 ATTRACTS water and will deaden primers faster than a chicken on a june bug

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    just be aware that WD-40 ATTRACTS water and will deaden primers faster than a chicken on a june bug

Chicken? June Bugs? Oh, back country, now I understand.

WD-40 generally should not be used on firearms as it leaves a hard, laquer type film after it dries. This will build up after repeated applications and can cause function issues. Plus it can be the dickens to remove.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Point taken regarding the use of WD-40. I will make sure and not use it to clean the "insides" of the rifle. Also I will say that in this case it was used only on the exterior of the barrel and was wiped dry and REM oil applied thereafter.