Thread: Question about ptarmigan

Default Question about ptarmigan

I'm heading to Kodiak this October for a deer hunt and was considering bringing my shotgun to try and get a couple of ptarmigan. I was wondering if the birds are on the island in good numbers and are they scattered all over or are they concentrated mainly in one location or another on the island? Thanks TH

I've seen them 2 times on 4 trips to the SW side of the island. One time saw a flock of about 30-40, another time saw 2 or 3 birds.

Dusk or dawn, look along the sand/gravle bars, the rest of the day, look inthe willows or along high spots in the terrain, they like to see all they can around them.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Hunted Kiliuda Bay this past Oct/Nov. We saw a three or four flocks of 15+ per flock over a two week period. We hunted from the salt and they were mostly up high. We spent mostly everyday busting brush up to the high country and I could not imagine having carried along a shotgun along with the rifle to hunt them. But the thought is very intriguing. If/when I go back and if I camp up high, I would probably bring it along for the off chance to have time to chase them. However, waterfowl was a plenty!