Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: only enough for one rifle

Default only enough for one rifle

I am moving to Valdez in July. I currently live and only hunt in Wisconsin. I have a Win. Model 70 30-06 which is great for anything this state has to offer. The budget is tight but my wife and I agree I will need a bigger round for hunt bears and moose. So the million dollar question what is a good all around rifle caliber for the great state of Alaska? What do you used to drop a bear or moose? Whats the most popular?

30-06 is plenty popular and for good reasons all around....every other bullets performance is compared to it, because its the 'Best' and all that stand before it Die.

Just buy more ammo and get more practise shooting at all kinds of range and putting that bullet where you want it........your 30-06 is plenty good , if in doubt, up your bullets weight.

Buy a .22 rifle or 12 gauge shotgun for other animals, or a nice pistol for your pocket or hers, its legal to carry conceled all over the state, no license required.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I agree with Stranger. The 30-06 that you are comfortable with will be an excellent rifle for you.

When I moved up from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan 3 years ago, I also was convinced that I needed something bigger - so I bought a .338. I then proceeded to shoot all of my big game animals so far with my bow. A lot of good that did me!

The 30-06 allows good loads with 100gr-220gr bullets. That provides a wide array possibilities. With good bullets and plenty of practice, you should feel more than confident with the weapon you already own.

Its easy to doubt the 30-06 because of its Plain Jaine reputation in the Mid-West. Don't fall into that trap! Lead through the lungs kills.

My daughter has fired 3 shots and killed 3 moose with her model 70 30-06 seems plenty big for them.

30-06 is a great round, but if you think you need bigger, get a .338 or .375, you can use light loads in the 06 for the smaller game up here (deer, sheep, caribou) and use your bigger rifle for the bruisers. If money is that tight, keep the 06 and use your money for other gear
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Thiick View Post
    1. So the million dollar question what is a good all around rifle caliber for the great state of Alaska?
    2. What do you used to drop a bear or moose?
    3. Whats the most popular?
    1. 30/06
    2. 30/06
    3. 30/06

Save your money for boots and optics and boat gas and airplane charter and rain gear and................................

but............don't miss the chance of getting another rifle since the wife already approved the purchase.

I agree with what everyone here is saying. Being from Iowa and having lived out west (reluctantly moved back from Idaho) with much larger game than just whitetails I picked up a 7mm Mag and found that was plenty big enough, so at the risk of being quite redundant your .30-06 will be perfectly fine, and as Spartan stated, you have a W I D E range of bullet weights to chose from, save the money to use on other equipment you'll want to explore for the change in terrain from the good ol' midwest i.e. pack, boots, binos ect...

I found a 175gr AB worked extremely well on Elk & Bear in Idaho and suspect they will do just as well on those and anything else you will have in that hunters haven they call Alaska.

Have to say I am a bit jealous or it could be just withdrawl symptoms missing the mountains...

Happy Hunting!

You have close to the perfect rifle. For less than $30.00, you can glass-bed the action and first few inches of barrel, free-float the rest of the barrel, and seal the stock interior with spar varnish. Or you could drop it in a aftermarket synthetic stock. These are easy-to-do projects at home. Choose a single, top-shelf commercial hunting load (my choice: 180 gr. Barnes TSX), and use it for everything. If your scope is not a Leupold, spend your money on one in 2-7X. You are ready. If money burns a hole in your pocket after a couple of years, get a stainless 338WM or similar. I wish I would have done this myself 26 years ago. It has taken me a long time and lots of money to arrive at this opinion. I did all this with what has become my "old-reliable", except mine is a 7MM RM, though I wish it were a 30/06.

As has been mentioned here and numerous other places, the .30-06 is plenty of gun for all but 1-2 hunts up here (large coastal brown bears and maybe Bison). I prefer the .300 win mag, but I don't think you can go wrong with your gun.

As everyone else has said- your '06 is fine and you'll find all kinds of other things you'll need worse than a different rifle if you have a little disposable income. A good set of binos, a spotter and really good boots and raingear come immediately to mind.

You'll also find a lot of things different about hunting here- access is somewhat harder, roads are more limited, air/water charters are expensive. If you knock around a bit and then decide on an additional rifle- the sky is the limit on those choices.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Nothing wrong with the.30-06' by any means, popular choice for ammo is 180grain Partitions.

If you want more info see here; http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-rifle-caliber. It will keep you occupied for a fair while .

Both moose I've killed have been with 30 caliber. My great uncle used a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06 for decades guiding for brown bear. The state was young back then, still a territory, so ammo availability was a major limitation. 40 years of guiding for brown bear and sheep and his go to calibers were 270 and 30-06. Lot of Kodiak bears were killed in years past with 220 grain bullets out of a 30-06. I'd invest in finding a solid hunting partner rather than a bigger caliber at this point.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

The 30-06 does a lot of things well but doesnt excell at any one thing.
    But if can, buy another rifle in 9.3x62. Both Ruger and CZ make them and the 9.3x62 is about as close as you can get to 375 as you can get. Helps to reload for this round.

If you pass on the 9.3 I would look at the 338 WM.

pretty much agree with everyone in saying that a 30-06 is a great gun and you'll probably never need anything else up here. However, if your wife has apprived the purchase of a new gun then its probably not adaquate and you will most certainly need something else. Most shooting up here (in my opinion) is extremely varible but generally is not going to be at extremely long ranges except maybe sheep hunting and your gun will be great especially if your comfortable with it. you certeinly don't need a 12lb land cannon to lug around for a 100yrd shot on moose. i think by far the .300 win mag is prob the most popular caliber (i've shot everything from coyotes to moose with mine) but maybe you want a nice light weight gun for sheep or goats? Or you could use rifle allotment and buy some gear more specifically suited to hunging in alaska the gear that helps you out most up here cost more than the guns. good luck

The round is good but is the rifle stainless? Our weather is a little humid over here. 16" of snow just last night and over 372" for the year. I have seen it rain for 44 days straight. You are also probably going to get a chance to hunt deer and black bear in the Sound. Stainless would be the best finish to have on the rifle.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    But if can, buy another rifle in 9.3x62. Both Ruger and CZ make them and the 9.3x62 is about as close as you can get to 375 as you can get.
    Why not just buy a 375 h&h? Ammo is way more common and the h&h packs a little more punch.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Agreed with Dave that stainless is the way to go, particularly living in Valdez.

But...I also strongly agree with hodgeman that gear might be where you want to spend your money. Your 30-06 is a great round. I started with one, added a .338 and a 7mag to my collection because I thought I needed them, and now I almost always reach for my 30-06. The gear that you own, though, is most likely not all up to par for Alaskan conditions. Quality boots are very expensive but sore feet will ruin your trip, quality raingear will save your life, and a quality tent will as well. On that note, I would avoid looking through the Cabela's catalog and buying something because of a good write-up that includes the word Alaska. Read through all of the gear reports on here (in the gear forum) and buy stuff that people have successfully and consistently used in Alaska.

I know your question wasn't pertaining to gear, but that is likely going to be money better spent than a different caliber rifle. Maybe sell your current rifle, pay whatever difference you need to to get a stainless 30-06, and spend the rest of the budget on quality gear. That's what I would do.

i have shot 2 caribou with an 06. had 220gr in the chamber in case of brownies, 100 yd. both shot in the open tundra, on the trot. hit them both in the middle of the neck. they were basically be-headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I've seen this phrase a few times, and really don't understand it. If a gun drops a moose or bear in its tracks with one shot, that seems pretty excellent to me, and that's been my experience with the '06. The only reason to buy a bigger rifle would be to increase your range, in my mind.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast