Thread: Am I Crazy

Default Am I Crazy

I've got a bad shoulder. While I'm 99% a shotgun shooter I find that too heavy of a load will impact my shooting.

I'm returning to Alaska this summer for a month of backbacking in the North Fork of the Chandalar ( Brooks R) where I worked ( as a kid)for the late Master Guide Red Adney. Being 64 ( great shape for an old fart) I have to travel light. I'm not there to hunt but I do have a very bad allergy to being chewed on.

I was thinking about buying a 450 marlin and putting a muzzle brake on it but frankly don't think I could handle the recoil just to sight it in and practice with let alone use. Therefore, I'm thinking of carrying just a 30/30 that I know I can handle.

In 1967 this Eskimo that worked for Red claimed to have killed over 30 grizzlies ( why is beyond me) with his 30/30. While I was there another Eskimo from Anatuvkic Pass (spell) was charged by a sow w 2 cubs. He killed the bear w his 30/30. ( Red was really pissed - said he didn't give the bear a chance to back off )

Anyway, maybe I'm nuts but it seems if you have a bad shoulder and would only shoot as a last resort that a 30/30 in the head should stop a 500 pound bear at very close range.

Of course the oddes of having to use it are slim. Your experienced comments would be appreciated. Thanks

I know it is not out yet, should be any day, but maybe you should look into the new Marlin 308 Express. I is putting a 160 grain 30 cal. bullet out at around 2700fps. Might just fit the bill. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dotson View Post
    I've got a bad shoulder. While I'm 99% a shotgun shooter I find that too heavy of a load will impact my shooting.

I'm returning to Alaska this summer for a month of backbacking in the North Fork of the Chandalar ( Brooks R) where I worked ( as a kid)for the late Master Guide Red Adney. Being 64 ( great shape for an old fart) I have to travel light. I'm not there to hunt but I do have a very bad allergy to being chewed on.

I was thinking about buying a 450 marlin and putting a muzzle brake on it but frankly don't think I could handle the recoil just to sight it in and practice with let alone use. Therefore, I'm thinking of carrying just a 30/30 that I know I can handle.

In 1967 this Eskimo that worked for Red claimed to have killed over 30 grizzlies ( why is beyond me) with his 30/30. While I was there another Eskimo from Anatuvkic Pass (spell) was charged by a sow w 2 cubs. He killed the bear w his 30/30. ( Red was really pissed - said he didn't give the bear a chance to back off )

Anyway, maybe I'm nuts but it seems if you have a bad shoulder and would only shoot as a last resort that a 30/30 in the head should stop a 500 pound bear at very close range.

Of course the oddes of having to use it are slim. Your experienced comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Well, 30/30 is a little on the light side, but the most important thing to keep in mind is accuracy. If you have something that you physically can shoot, shoot it well, and are comfortable with, even if it's on the lighter side, I think it's probably the better option for you. If you are not comfortable handling a particular firearm at the range, you probably won't be comfortable handling it in the field.

Just fill it with the hottest loads you can find and go with it. My .02.

Default Lever Gun

It seems you are interested in a lever gun. Marlin offers a rifle in .35 REM that would be in the middle between the 30-30 and 45-70. It might be a good compramise. ENJOY ALASKA...!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Mike,

Have you ever gave thought to switching from right to left or Left to right handed. I know alot of right handed shooter that are left eye dominate and switch to shooting left handed. Maybe it is time for you to switch also, since you have a bumb shoulder. You also have the choice of using a pistol instead of a rifle. Just my two cents.

I think a 30/30 in the shoulder would put a bear down then a shot in the head would put it out of its misery
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Lever Gun

I agree with bravo1. The 35 Rem would be a very good compromise. I doubt there would be significantly more felt recoil with the 35 Rem, than the 30-30.

Take your shotgun with reduced velocity slugs. A 1 ounce slug (430grn) @ 1200fps is better than anything a 30-30 can sling. It kicks about the same but I'd much rather have over 400grns of stopping power. I think the remington version is called "Managed-Recoil" ammunition.

Make lots of noise and the bears probably won't be an issue.

I agree with beer 30, the bigger the rock you throw at it the better and I've read some good feedback about remingtons "Managed-Recoil" loads. Experiment a little with them and maybe you could use a rifle in a larger caliber with managed recoil ammunition. They make this, to my knowledge, up to a .300 Win. Magnum in remington. Federal Power-Shok Low Recoil ammunition is available up to .30-06