Thread: Sheep Fever and Spouses

Default Sheep Fever and Spouses

How do the members of this forum that have really bad sheep fever get their spouses/signficant others/better halves, etc to understand the passion, emotional roller coaster and addiction of sheep/mountain hunting? My spouse has been super supportive in the past and most of the time in present, but she doesn't get this sheep fever thing at all. The problem lies with time away from home...I guess its not so bad that she wants to have me around!

What are the tricks of the trade so that you use so you can sneak away every august or get the newest, lightweight piece of kit, or that its not acceptable to use the lastest copy of Ovis/GrandSlam as a coaster for your glass of water?

Lots of hunting knowlege on this board, so hopefully this will be and enlightening discussion! How do you handle the fever?

For me the wife really wanted to move back to AK after 8 years down south with the mil. I told her straight up that hunting was going to be my biggest priority if I was going to deal with all that cold and dark again. I was deployed when she got out moved back up them I separated upon my return and followed her. One of our first outings when i made it up was to the gun store where she bought me a browning Abolt 325. She likes me going sheep hunting, I stay more fit and come back from the hills in a zen like state. By the next season I am so wound up and stressed with life she is looking forward to sending me off again for a mental reboot.

I take Her Everywhere.

Doing so make her part and one with the experiance and she will buy You equipment

See? works for Lujon too

If she wont go, get another Woman.....or what ever.......~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Generally my wife is just as excited as me about going sheep hunting. However, this year she is no doubt more jacked about it and already going over the gear lists over the phone with me while I act interested.....role reversal what?!?!?! I sure it has nothing to do with her drawing TMA this year at all

Within the last two years I became a hunter in SE, learning the subsistence ways of AK. My wife understood the importance of having "my time" but also to bring home to premium food for the table.
    Since we moved to SE Georgia (military ) my only real "me time " is when I get to fork over some change to fly multiple time zones to spend time in the field with old friends. I wouldn't have it any other way. As we all know, there's something special about getting away, isolating yourself in the mountains, and getting back to primal ways of hunting. it simplifies things, gives you a goal, and you get to narrow your focus. This year I'm lucky enough to explore the Chugach with and old friend chasing the mighty Ram.

It's difficult for her to let me go, weeks at a time but she understands it's important to me and a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things. Plus bringing home sheep and caribou meat last year was a huge bonus. Let's hope it holds true for this year as well... this may be the last year of AK hunting till my current assignment is up, due to an expanding family At least until we move back.
    There is two parts to this as well. When i get home to the fam, wife and 18 month son, it's truly special to realize what I've got. Plus the memories I've just created.
    2015 here we come!

Well...things have been pretty tough for me the last few years with young kids in the house now. Pretty tough for both of us to get out at the same time for trips like this. One thing we're planning on is to go on "scouting" trips together in June/July and then I'll head out for the hunt while she stays at home with the kids. She's pretty excited about that. The other thing that works well is to "trade" with her. So maybe there is something she'd like to do on her own. Hang out with her girlfriends, a trip, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jab7275 View Post
    How do the members of this forum that have really bad sheep fever get their spouses/signficant others/better halves, etc to understand the passion, emotional roller coaster and addiction of sheep/mountain hunting? My spouse has been super supportive in the past and most of the time in present, but she doesn't get this sheep fever thing at all. The problem lies with time away from home...I guess its not so bad that she wants to have me around!

What are the tricks of the trade so that you use so you can sneak away every august or get the newest, lightweight piece of kit, or that its not acceptable to use the lastest copy of Ovis/GrandSlam as a coaster for your glass of water?

Lots of hunting knowlege on this board, so hopefully this will be and enlightening discussion! How do you handle the fever?
    Pretty simple, take her with you.

My wife is not enthusiastic at all about going into the field herself, or the time I spend researching and preparing ahead of time (lets not even talk about money spent). However, when the time to leave comes, she usuaully hugs me tight, kisses me, and whispers something sentimental like "You're not allowed to come back until you've gotten something." She loves game meat now and fully supports having a freezer full of it. Haven't sheep hunted yet, so we'll see when it comes to that. I might have to lie and tell her its a moose hunt...in the mountains.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    Exactly. I know that not all women are interested, so it doesn't work for everyone...but I got my wife to understand by taking her. Now I basically can't go into the sheep mountains without her. She hasn't taken one of her own yet, but we're going to try our best this coming fall. After climbing those mountains, watching those sheep through a spotting scope, and sipping on a cup of wine at 4,000', well...she was hooked.

(And yes, I know I've shown this picture before...but it's one of my favorites. )

It's one of my favorites too. Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    Yep, 6 weeks pregnant at the time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't been able to inject my wife with sheep fever but she does head to the field with me pretty regularly. Hiking, fishing and hunting are all great experiences with your spouse. Mine got her first moose a few years ago on a snowy late season hunt that was a blast. She even jumped right in on the butchering.

It's easy I go sheep hunting, she goes on vacation...

I unknowingly have created a monster... Pretty sure she dreams of sheep hunting as much as I do, so much we have the next two years 'booked'.

She hadn't hunted until she met me, and in the last 3 years has taken a whitetail, mule deer, griz, moose and a sheep. She still has more fishing gear than me though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is an absolutely awesome picture, Bambistew! Man...there is just nothing better than a wife who hunts, especially if she loves sheep. Congratulations!

So I've got a little different quandry on this. My wife is of canadian decent, and has first nations hunting rights. Her canadian tribe has incredible sheep country, and very few tribal members hunt it. I've been trying to infect her with sheep fever, we are almost there. My boys all have the right to hunt it as well and they are just about the age to go.

I dream of virgin sheep country!! I'm not bragging.................yeah, I guess I am
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by jab7275 View Post
    Jewelry....
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today