Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Sport Jon would you buy.

Default Which Sport Jon would you buy.

Ok in the light of the load Challenge. I was thinking what sport would you buy. If you were buying your first one Or upgrading to a new boat. Would it be
    1. Phamton ( only putting this one first so Mel can't cry saying it wasn't fare)
    2. Jet craft
    3. Sjx
    4. sea ark
    5. Wool ridge

If I left sum feel free to add them. Be nice remember at end we all love the same thing running the rivers. We all ran our boats together none will out perform each other only the nut job behind the gas will. Myself I own a sea ark predator 200sj. First sport jon. I love it and the places it will take me is the best. From fishing to moose hunting she's a great boat. I looked at other boats and rode in them all. w
    Wool ridge will be my next boat.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I haVE a sjx and very happy with it but if WB had a sport jon boat when I got the SJX I would have went with a Wb SJX sits lower in the water than the WB boat. But Im very happy the the boat I have it does everything I want and then some
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

If I had to downgrade it would be a custom built Wooldridge!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I would have to rule out any that are sold by dealers that spend most their time talking smack about the competition rather than providing good service on a excellent product. That would make a guy only have to pick between two..

Iíve run both a SJX and the Jetcraft Extreme Shallow for work and I own a Phantom. I think all three are outstanding boats.

Personally I think the only real difference between the Phantom and SJX is marketing. The SJX has some new bells and whistles, but performance wise I canít tell any difference.

Between the SJX and Extreme Shallow the main difference is thickness of the hull material. The Extreme Shallow uses heaver gauge aluminum for its hull, so empty it weighs more. The negative side is empty itís a little slower getting on step. The positive side is rocks wonít ding the hull as easily. But who runs an empty boat? When both boats are loaded, I donít see much difference.

If I had to choose between a between Phantom/SJX or Extreme Shallow I would buy the one with the best price. Oh, and if I were buying anything with a Mercury Optimax Jet Iíd be REAL particular about the condition of the engine. I like the Optimax for weight/horse power ratio, but I think they are a sensitive engine that require proper break-in, the use of a good quality DFI oil, warming up before use, proper storage for winter, etc. If thatís not done it could end up costing big bucks!

Just my 2 cents.

Kelvin

I own a TJ Denali and has been a solid boat. Here in the mid-west you don't see a lot of inboard shallow running sleds and I get a lot of strange looks every where we go. I had a Tracker bass boat before the TJ but it wasn't fun unless I was catching fish...I came across one of TJM's videos back in 2008 ( Extreme Shallow I think ) and thought to myself " Holy c**p that looks like fun!" so I drove out west and bought a sport jon. My family and I have had a blast with the boat and recommend anyone who hasn't been in a sport jon to take a ride. It took me a while to learn how to " drive it like you stole it!" and after e few missed turns / groundings / collisions with trees I figured out not to let off the throttle when things got tight! But after the learning curve was over I have taken my boat places I didn't think possible. Having a sport jon opens up a lot of possibilities of where to go here in the mid-west...we have plenty of small rivers and creeks and we are trying to run as many as possible. I don't miss the long waits at a boat ramp of the larger lakes...or competing for fishing space once you get in with 100 other boats. With our sport jon we go places where no one has ever seen from a boat. Many thanks to TJM for putting out his videos way back. We're glad to be sport jon owners.

Don't forget boats by Outlaw, bratt jet, firefish, jbm, Riddle, ect. Lots of great boats out there, something for everyone

I'm actually in the market for this type of boat. My intention is to sell the current boat this year and to have a new one next season. I have a few issues. First I'm not completely sold on the SportJet motor. I'd really rather have more traditional Inboard Engine/Jet combo (which is what I currently have). Having said that, the Optimax does save on weight and that seems very important in this style of boat. Anyway so I keep looking but currently I'm eyeing 4 boats

Riddle Marine Cargo Jet
    Alaskan XL (Sportjet)
    Super Sport Drifter (inboard)
    SeaArk Predator

Tough choices but I really like the Riddle, I'd make it a bit wider, and I like the idea of an Aluminum engine, AT SD203 Jet Drive. Not sure if Wooldridge would put a more traditional engine in the Alaskan XL, I think they want you to jump to the Sport Drifter for that. The SeaArk seems to be the lowest cost "Sport Jon" style boat. You don't hear much about them and I wonder how they hold up.

I have heard sea ark owners refer to their boats as river tanks. The ones I have looked at seem to fit the term very well. The seem like cold war era Russian style boats, delete all the glam items and produce a very strong basic utilitarian boat. They seem to do what is asked of them very well and pass a significant savings on to the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_import View Post
    I'm actually in the market for this type of boat. My intention is to sell the current boat this year and to have a new one next season. I have a few issues. First I'm not completely sold on the SportJet motor. I'd really rather have more traditional Inboard Engine/Jet combo (which is what I currently have). Having said that, the Optimax does save on weight and that seems very important in this style of boat. Anyway so I keep looking but currently I'm eyeing 4 boats

Riddle Marine Cargo Jet
    Alaskan XL (Sportjet)
    Super Sport Drifter (inboard)
    SeaArk Predator

Tough choices but I really like the Riddle, I'd make it a bit wider, and I like the idea of an Aluminum engine, AT SD203 Jet Drive. Not sure if Wooldridge would put a more traditional engine in the Alaskan XL, I think they want you to jump to the Sport Drifter for that. The SeaArk seems to be the lowest cost "Sport Jon" style boat. You don't hear much about them and I wonder how they hold up.
    Personally I don't think you would go wrong with any of those choices. Having said that, if I were looking into this type of boat, and $ was no object, hands down it would be the Riddle, LS motor and Scott pump. That IMO is one smokin' ride.

Put me down as wanting a Wooldridge. I started dreaming of a Phantom around $27K and now I'm up to a $50K Wooldridge. The kind folks on this site were nice enough to let me ride in several of the boats in question last year at the spring gathering. I was most impressed with TJM's boat. Most of the boats there would get the job done, but each had it's points. I'd mix a lot of the parts from many of the boats there to get the "the best" boat for my family. The Wooldridge seems like the best starting point.

I'm still kicking tires and paying attention to what people are saying about and doing with their boats. Learn something new every time I get on this site.

My canoe is paid for. The future boat is not!

True you don't hear must from sea ark owners maybe there humble... Here's a little video of my following the wooly of tjm. I dont talk like Im badass in the boat but. I can keep up with him and ride his ass all day long. He fun to run with. Can learn a lot from just watch him. And its paid for....

Lujon. Far from a tank. I love boat cleaning it easy bleach and pressure wash looks. Scratches no worries got can of spay paint under my seat... Best buy for your money hands down. Everyone sells the boat short other than ones who own the boat. Ask my friend Derek who owns a Phamton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vtR7...e_gdata_player
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Akmike30, I rememeber that run. That was my first major run on the Big Su hanging with the big boys... ha, ha... It was also the second time I put my boat on the beach unintentionaly (stuck it high on dry on that first nasty righthand corner coming back off the lake). Thanx again Brian and his buddy for helping the newby (me) get my boat back into the water. That was an awsesome day ..."fishon"

QUOTE=akmike30;1087392]True you don't hear must from sea ark owners maybe there humble... Here's a little video of my following the wooly of tjm. I dont talk like Im badass in the boat but. I can keep up with him and ride his ass all day long. He fun to run with. Can learn a lot from just watch him. And its paid for....

Lujon. Far from a tank. I love boat cleaning it easy bleach and pressure wash looks. Scratches no worries got can of spay paint under my seat... Best buy for your money hands down. Everyone sells the boat short other than ones who own the boat. Ask my friend Derek who owns a Phamton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vtR7...e_gdata_player[/QUOTE]
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Akmike,
    My "tank" comment wasn't meant to be derisive but rather complimentary. Perhaps a better correlation would be to compare the sea ark to the Tupolev. A near mirror image of the Concord and maintaining all its capabilities but with more utilitarian accoutrements.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    True you don't hear must from sea ark owners maybe there humble... Here's a little video of my following the wooly of tjm. I dont talk like Im badass in the boat but. I can keep up with him and ride his ass all day long. He fun to run with. Can learn a lot from just watch him. And its paid for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vtR7...e_gdata_player

Where was this video taken at?

I can't get enough of my Predator. I'm on my second one, and plan to hold on to this one for a while. Got about 5 more payments before she's officially all mine. To add to my carnivores, I just picked up a new Raptor to tow my Predator... can't wait for spring!!!

Jerod I ordered a raptor on 1/4/2012. No build date or vin yet. Tux. Black scab. Fullly loaded 1500 over invoice.

I guess great minds think alike Mike! I picked up a 2011 in Fairbanks that was on the lot. It's a blast to drive and a heck of a lot more comfortable than my last F150. Never been a blue truck guy, but the fire blue color looks really good, so I picked it up. They had a silver one as well, and there are a few black ones in town already, so the blue will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I guess great minds think alike Mike! I picked up a 2011 in Fairbanks that was on the lot. It's a blast to drive and a heck of a lot more comfortable than my last F150. Never been a blue truck guy, but the fire blue color looks really good, so I picked it up. They had a silver one as well, and there are a few black ones in town already, so the blue will do just fine.

Sweet Ride! Does it float?

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Sweet Ride! Does it float?
    I didn't get that option. It's built for the rough stuff though, can't wait to get it off road and play around a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast