Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS138 Chugach State Park Hunt

Default DS138 Chugach State Park Hunt

I drew this sheep hunt for the Chugach State Park for this fall. Has anyone done this hunt? Is it worth trying for sheep in this area or is it a waste of time. I was thinking of hunting the Ship Lake area or around Grizzly Bear Lake. Any help would be much appreciated!!

I don't think so many people(me)would put in for it if it was a waste of time.Seen some monster pics of rams taken bye ship lake,hunt it hard and you might be the next net pic I see.

Is it worth trying for sheep in this area?! To put it simply, there is a reason that this tag has a 2% draw rate. Yes, it is worth it.

Though the number of legal rams in this area is lower than it was in the past (according to reports I have read), it is still a great area with great potential. Put some miles in this summer scouting the area out. You've got a gem of a tag - give it your best shot and you might strike gold.

By the way, in my opinion there is no such thing as "a waste of time" when it comes to sheep hunting, success or not.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonr View Post
    I drew this sheep hunt for the Chugach State Park for this fall. Has anyone done this hunt? Is it worth trying for sheep in this area or is it a waste of time. I was thinking of hunting the Ship Lake area or around Grizzly Bear Lake. Any help would be much appreciated!!
    This is a park hunt these tags are very hard to come by. There have been some exceptional rams that came out of the park I have seen them first hand.The numbers may be down but dont be fooled there are big sheep still in there.I would take that tag in a second.Good luck on your hunt

If you don't want it, I will take it for you
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I hope that I don't come off ungrateful for drawing the tag. I was basing that off of the hunt statistics for that tag during the 2010 season. It is the latest tag for the season and there were no sheep taken for that draw. That is why I was a little worried. Thanks for making me feel better about that area though!

It's certainly no guarantee. You'll likely have to hunt it hard, but there will be legal rams in that area during the late season - no question about it. I joined someone on this very tag about 10 years ago and we took one on September 16th. We only had to walk 8 miles, as we stumbled into a legal ram above where we were making our first day's camp. We were ready to go much farther, though. For such a coveted area, the further reaches of this area receive remarkably little pressure. Watch the hills on your way in, but prepared to get into the nastier parts of this unit and you'll have a good chance of finding what you're looking for.

With apologies to Horace Greely...Go east young man!

Get topo maps of the Park and study those areas within your hunt boundary around the glaciers at the park's eastern side. Old rams, wherever they're found like the margins of glaciers and surrounding peaks. Get in top physical shape and get really good gear.

Do not be put off by low success rates. ALL sheep hunting is hard. CSP is big, vertical, hellishly brushy in it's lower reaches and split up by burning cold, raging torrents (called creeks on the maps), but as the saying goes...There's gold in them tha'r hills!

Golden horns, that is (well, there's actual gold too but that's neither here nor there. Go get you a ram)
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    With apologies to Horace Greely...Go east young man!

Get topo maps of the Park and study those areas within your hunt boundary around the glaciers at the park's eastern side. Old rams, wherever they're found like the margins of glaciers and surrounding peaks. Get in top physical shape and get really good gear.

Do not be put off by low success rates. ALL sheep hunting is hard. CSP is big, vertical, hellishly brushy in it's lower reaches and split up by burning cold, raging torrents (called creeks on the maps), but as the saying goes...There's gold in them tha'r hills!

Golden horns, that is (well, there's actual gold too but that's neither here nor there. Go get you a ram)
    Hint hint hint^^^^^^ used to hunt in the park

One of the advantages of this hunt is that you can go on a weekend hiking trip and do your scouting. If you're blown out by the weather there is also the option of going back.

OK, Ok, ok....I'll try to be positive.......

Hamiltonr,
    You have secured one of the finest sheep tags available. And you asked..."Is it worth trying for sheep in this area or is it a waste of time".
    Yes, gee, I really do believe you have secured a sheep permit for one of the finest ram areas available, even though the sheep population has decreased in recent years.
    If you live in south-central AK then, as previously suggested, you can start your preseason scouting soon. I live adjacent to Chugach State Park, and I already have my own names for some of the rams in there. By the time your season starts I would think that you would have your own personal names for every sheep in the area. If I ever obtain a permit for that area I will not be doing any rafting or fishing during the summer. Besides the fact that I'm basically a poor and inefficient fisherman, I would devote the entire summer to learning and re-learning the approaches, game trails through the alders, and routes up through the rocks. If you can devote the summer to climbing in that area I believe that you can score a fantastic ram. Note that 13 of my rams have come out of ONE area that I have learned EVERYTHING about. So by becoming very familiar with the area I believe you greatly enhance your chances at killing a fine, tight curl, parallel horned ram like that area is famous for. Also, through multiple trips into the area you will develop the mental conditioning, the emotional toughness required to hunt through bad weather conditions and physical discomforts associated with sheep hunting.

And another point to ponder is that some of the largest rams to come out of that area in the past, were killed after heavy weather scared other hunters out of the mountains. So when the heavy weather comes, and it will, while them other guys are home watching pre-season football games, you can be killing sheep that had previously been unobtainable up in the highest rocks and snowfields. Those smart old rams do come down with heavy weather.

One forum member suggested going east within the unit to find targets. I suggest going near the highest mountains in the center of the DS138 hunt area. You have probably only one chance to hunt Chugach State Park rams in your life. You have the permit that many of us have tried to obtain for over 20 years. Have a great hunt!

Wow...now theres two on here with tags for that area, Armyscout has the mid-season (DS137) so you should tag along with him, and it will give you some good info. for your late season hunt....Good luck

This used to be one of our best areas to do combo sheep and moose horseback hunts in Sept. It used to be a lot easier to draw sheep tags before it got popular but as rugged of area as this is I can't help but think there are still good spots to hold a good ram or two. go prepared and take a good partner. 'Grizzly' tag? Lots of bears in there.
    just an idea. Good luck. Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by shanksmare View Post
    This used to be one of our best areas to do combo sheep and moose horseback hunts in Sept. It used to be a lot easier to draw sheep tags before it got popular but as rugged of area as this is I can't help but think there are still good spots to hold a good ram or two. go prepared and take a good partner. 'Grizzly' tag? Lots of bears in there.
    just an idea. Good luck. Ron.
    brown bears are a drawing tag, but there are blackies in there also

The arguement could be made that this is THE premier tag in the state. Better than TOK, Delta, etc. Barring a substantial injury, job move, deployment, having a baby (you get the idea) you should be in this area ALL spring summer fall leading up to your hunt. I had a park permit in 2007 for the same time frame but different unit. Same story with low ram numbers. But I was in there all summer, found, photographed and kept tabs on rams, got friendly with all the guides who had clients in the area, mended fences for a landowner so I could cross his private property, explored every possible entry and exit into the unit. Then when the hunt came the weather was the worst I've ever sheep hunted in, but I ground it out and ended up killing a ram in a nasty, remote part of the unit. It took me multiple days to pack him out but in the end I was the only non-guided hunter to kill a ram in that unit that year. I believe the reason was I worked harder than everyone else. Too many residents draw these park tags and think because it's right behind Anchorage that it is an easy weekend hunt. This tag is the real deal. You will get what you put into it. And in the end, even if you don't tag out, you'll have made a huge leap in your sheep experience that will continue to pay off down the road. Hunt this tag. Hunt it hard and well. Suck up every bit of joy you can from it.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonr View Post
    hamiltonr, I hunted it last fall, pm me if you want to know options of where to hunt. There will be plenty of sheep if winter kill isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    hamiltonr, I hunted it last fall, pm me if you want to know options of where to hunt. There will be plenty of sheep if winter kill isn't bad.
    I'm not too concerned about the winter kill up high. I was up on a ridgeline near the hunt area this past Sunday and there is a lot of barren ground and exposed feed up there. We've had a lot of snow, but we've also had a lot of wind that has been scouring the high elevations. I think the sheep will be fine for the most part.

Was your 2010 hunt successful?

Default Raven Creek

I was looking at the hunt map for DS138 and wondering why the Raven Creek drainage was closed to hunting. Must be the foot traffic on the Crow Pass trail?

T Storm, I'll try to get in touch with you in a little bit. I've been talking to a guy that knows you and your hunt. He said He could give me some good info too. I appreciate your willingness to help me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast