Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3% Draw Chance Story

Default 3% Draw Chance Story

As you can see I don’t post much on here but after reading 4merGuide’s post I figured I would share a story about my family’s draw success this year and the power of a little girl’s prayer. Some background information is needed to paint a full and accurate picture first. I have been hunting in AK for the last 7 years and have never considered myself a “Big Game Hunter” but more of a harvester of resources to sustain my family. I focus my draw selections on Cow Moose but I still do my part and contribute my $60 to F&G for what I call the little to no chance tags. You know the ones that I am talking about, TMA Sheep, Delta Bison and so on…. So back in December I was filling out my draw application and my 11 year old daughter asked me where we were going to hunt this year. It kind of caught me off guard because at the time I was day dreaming of chasing sheep in TOK. This automatically brought me back to reality but also sparked the light bulb over my head. “Youth Hunt”. I asked her what kind of game she would like to hunt and her response was; “well we are almost out of moose meat” so it was settled. We would put in for DM792 the Delta Bison range Youth Moose hunt. We have been down around that area plenty of times and have seen numerous moose every time. Unfortunately this tag is one of those true lottery (little to no chance) tags with a 3% draw chance. My daughter is smart enough to know that 3% is not very good odds but her mother said if you pray for it every night that God has a funny way of answering prayers. So every night from December 1st when she was saying her prayers she would end with “and God please let me help Daddy feed the family this year by letting me draw a moose tag, Amen”. Fast Forward, Feb 17th. The draw results come out. The family is gathered around the computer waiting for the PDF to download. I ask my daughter if she thinks she drew her tag. Without any hesitation she says of course I did and once we see my name on that list you have to buy me a new gun. I agree because what the heck, anything for a new gun, right? Open up the PDF and fire up the search function, hit enter. My name is on there for FMA cow archery. Cool! Hit next and sure enough there is my daughter’s name amongst one of the ten for DM792. I tell you that it was one of the most exciting days of my life seeing her light up like that. I have drawn a number of tags in my lifetime, in Alaska and in other states, but nothing will ever compare to seeing my child get so excited about wanting to hunt and drawing that first tag! To quote 4merGuide, “Over a week and I am still Jacked”. Good luck to everyone this year and to the other 9 people hunting the Bison Range I hope your draw experience was as good as mine.

BTW- I am going to start praying for that TMA tag right now for next year

Hutch

Thats great - good for her and good for you! I too am still jacked about DE-321. First time applying for anything. Have not been that excited searching an excel file since college stats class ha.

Go get em!

What a great story!

I hope you guys have a great time out there. Congratulations!

What kind of gun would your daughter like?

Thanks hunterhutch that is a wonderful story and you have a great daughter. Congratulations.

"So every night from December 1st when she was saying her prayers she would end with “and God please let me help Daddy feed the family this year by letting me draw a moose tag"

A great story Hutch! I too am blessed with a daughter who loves to hunt with Dad. What I enjoy the most about hunting with her is she thinks success is just being outdoors enjoying the entire experience. We are flying into the same mountain range her brother and Dad harvested sheep minutes apart. She is talking about it non-stop...way cool. Good luck and enjoy every minute of it. Her brother is now 16 1/2 and is too busy with football, hockey, etc and never hunts with Dad anymore.

Again, have fun, enjoy the hunt, they grow up too fast.

very nice Hutch,amazing story wish you and your little girl the best of luck

Very, very cool. That hunt is definitely a dream tag. My nephew wants that one badly, and I dream of taking my young sons on that hunt one day as well. In the meantime, it sounds like that tag couldn't have gone to a more deserving young lady. Good luck to your daughter. Savor that experience, and when it's over make sure you come back here to share pictures and a story.

(On a side note, if you don't have a rifle in mind yet, consider taking a very hard look at the 7mm-08. We have two of them - both Remington Youth models - one for my 5' tall wife and one for my nephews, niece, and my sons. That round shoots like a dream with very, very little recoil. You can get her started on the reduced recoil rounds, but even the full strength 7mm-08 rounds are very mild.)

Good job and great story. Congrats to the little lady. Pray is powerful indeed.

Good story. Enjoyed it. Is she praying now for which gun Dad is going to buy her? Haha!
    She needs and AR in 6.8 spc.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Congrats to you and your daughter, I hope you two have the best of luck. And now I know the secret to possibly drawing that bison tag, I am starting my prayers tonight!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Like some of you have recommended on here we have decided to go with the 7MM-08 youth, Vangaurd model made by Weatherby. I really like the fact that the rifle can “Grow” with her. I was torn between that rifle and the Howa youth model. I liked the Howa because it came with 2 lower assemblies, one youth and one full size so that I could use it if I wanted. My wife had to remind me that it was not my rifle though and should be my daughter’s choice. She decided on the Weatherby, and so it was settled. Going to order one next week after I square up with the Federal Government on taxes.
    Thanks for everyone’s well wishes and although I rarely come on here to share my experiences I promise I will have no problems bragging on my daughter.

Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by HunterHutch View Post
    Thanks for everyone’s well wishes and although I rarely come on here to share my experiences I promise I will have no problems bragging on my daughter.

Hutch
    Well wishes to you and your daughter too my friend. And I'm am honored that a few of my simple words helped to inspire a great post like that...!!!

Have a wonderful hunt...!!!

thats great!! i wish you guys the best of luck!! maybe next year she can put in a good word for me.

Default That's awesome.

Hutch,
    Good job, sounds like you have an awesome little hunting partner! Good choice on the 7mm/08, my wife loves her rem model 7.

Thanks for sharing a great story HunterHutch! I sure miss the days when my kid used to love to hunt with me. (He was fortunate enough to get drawn for and harvest a trophy delta bison bull, so prayer does work. I think God hears the earnest prayers of a child, helping to grown their faith!) Anyhow, I wish the best of success to you and your daughter while spending time afield with her!

Prayer for your daughter and you to have a safe and successful hunt. Way to go, Dad.

Mike

HH, that is truly a great story! I hope the hunt is even more exciting for her than drawing that tag! I would love to be a fly on the wall during that trip to see her face and watch it unfold! Good luck to both of you!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thats a cute story with a wonderful ending.. COngrats..

Hoytguy

It is a dream hunt for kids. My daughter drew that hunt last year. She got the oppertunity to see alot of moose, bulls and cows. We watched several young bulls spar and saw to many cows to count. She ended up shooting a 2 X 3 fork on the third day. We did not see any 50 inch or better bulls. But we had what I believe to be an older bull about 100 yards out in front of us in the thick spruce making alot of noise. We were watching a couple of younger bulls with cows when he started acting up. Those younger bulls were not moving or making a sound during his noisy rantings. I never could get him to show his face. We were hunting the last weekend of the hunt. My daughter used a 7mm-08 ruger with the federal triple shocks. 2 of the three of the bullets were identical. The other was a pass thru.They folded back in 4 sections perfectly. Sold me on the triple shocks for sure. She shot him 1800m from the truck. I had a cabelas deer cart with me and it was a life saver. I got him out in 2 trips. If you hunt the pan. field a bicycle would also be a great tool. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them. All of the people we met while hunting on the fields were very polite and friendly. Deffinitely the highlight of all my hunts with my daughter getting her first moose. Good luck and enjoy it. It doesnt get any better for the kids.

The lord works in mysterious ways sometimes. Congrats to you both! Thanks for sharing the first part of the story and I can wait to see the rest.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast