Thread: Shooting and Hunting wearing eyeglasses?

Default Shooting and Hunting wearing eyeglasses?

I don't shoot nearly as much as I'd like to. And I just realized that I don't remember if I've shot (other than pistol) at an animal with a scoped rifle since I started wearing glasses. I was just looking at a rifle I haven't even shot a box of shells through yet. I was looking through the scope with glasses on and it was a pain, but blurry with out them. So I thought I would adjust the eyepiece lens and see what happens. To my surprise, with the lens adjusted almost all the way out it's clear as a bell.

So that got me thinking, what do most of you guys do....do you bench shoot with or without your glasses? And though I know it would be different while hunting, but if you knew you wouldn't have to make a quick shot, I guess a guy could set up, take off his glasses, and shoot at an animal as well?

I'm guessing most guys shoot with glasses on, but do all of you?

Just curious. Thanks.....

Edit: Well I figured out that I have indeed killed a caribou when I had already started wearing glasses. But it was with a different rifle and I don't recall if I left my glasses on to shoot, or if my eyes were still good enough back then to shoot without them?

Glasses on. My sunglasses are a bit different than my eye glasses and I sometimes I have to adjust the scope at the range to make it perfect with a high powered scope. I even use the binoculars with glasses on. The spotting scope is a PIA with glasses on, and I usually take them off for that, but not always.

Yeah, I was wondering about the spotting scope too as I'll be using it a lot this year. I really don't like using the binos with glasses on but I do it.

I always wear my glasses when shooting. I have an xtra pair just for shooting that are distance only as I can't shoot very well with my no-line bifocals...
    Spotting scopes I have to remove them....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I always wear glasses while at the range but not when I'm hunting. I understand the rifle could malfunction but I will take my chances. What concerns me more is richochet. That doesnt happen when your hunting near as much as at the range. I have a scar to prove that. I can't see with glasses through a spotting scope either

I wear my eyeglasses for hunting and shooting, but take them off for spotting scopes and binoculars.

I kinda wish I could use the binos with my eyeglasses on, but it just doens't feel right.

I generally just look over my single vision eyeglasses to take a shot with a scoped rifle. Of course my distance vision is still pretty good and I wear small glasses. Strangely I usually take my specs off if I'm hunting with a peep sighted rifle, it is more comfortable for me that way, and the range is generally shorter. I guess the bottom line is no, I don't normally shoot at game through my glasses. I do at the range though, and having tried both ways, I shoot better with them on. But for me my shooting doesn't suffer enough for me to have to put up with wearing them while hunting.

I shoot with specs on. Field & range. I don't need to look over or around the glasses, either. They're what I look through - whatever I'm looking at.

Although, while I'm resigned to the inevitability of bifocals, I don't need them yet.
    Last edited by 8x57 Mauser; 02-26-2012 at 06:33. Reason: more to say

for years I never wore safety glasses while at the range which I know is REALLY stupid, so now I'm training myself to do so (but it's difficult) I used to have an astigmitism so my distance vision was awful and glasses were constantly fogged up so I had RK surgery and took care of the "need" for glasses when hunting but now my OLD eyes are in need of reading glasses so badly that if I "had" to discern headstamps on ammo I would be in trouble - Back to the bench shooting, it only takes one mishap to ruin eyes so I am forcing myself to wear safety glasses at all times when at the range or shotgunning (I've had hot powder residue float back into my eyes several times before and it stings smartly)