Thread: Anyone using the MSR hyperflow?

Default Anyone using the MSR hyperflow?

I'm looking at replacing my water treatment setup for this MSR hyperflow. Just curious if anyone here has been using one and what your thoughts might be on it. Pumps 3 liters per minute and weighs just 7.4 ounces.

My old water filter (not sure of the exact model) was an MSR. Got it about 10-15 years ago. Always worked, but it pumped water VERY slowly. Then about 2 years ago, I got the Hyperflow for xmas! What a blast pumping water is now. About half the weight of the old one and much, much faster. I think it is a great filter. I'll probably look into that gravity filter/attachment at some point for hunts where I stay in one spot for a while and weight isn't as much of an issue.

I've had one for a few years, it works great. The MSR bladders are great as well. My buddy has a few of the black HD ones. I use one of the red Dromlite bags sheep hunting. 6L, weighs nothing and sure is nice for getting "camp" water to have at the tent.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have used the MSR Hyperflow on a few different hunts and it has been awesome thus far. Pumps fast and it is very light weight; you can't even tell you are carrying it. I do plan on following Snyd's setup with the Dromlite bag for camp water, but I will never leave camp without the Hyperflow in my pack.

Thanks for the replies. I've been using the Katadyn hiker for a long time now with little complaints, but I'm going to switch to this MSR hyperflow for my upcoming sheep hunt. I really like how light it is and how little amount of space it will take up in the backpack. And two Nalgene bottles is all I take with me in the field, and with the hyperflow being compatible with those, it seems like a win-win.

It comes with a lid that fits the Nalgene bottle and you can also purchase a second one for around $10-$15 bucks so the pump adaptor fits your spare bottle without having to swap lids. Not a big deal, but convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger15 View Post
    ..... but I will never leave camp without the Hyperflow in my pack.
    Ditto, I never do. I always have it and my 3L Kelty bladder. The MSR screws right on to it as well.

On another note. I stopped carrying nalgene or any other bottles a few years back when I went with the 6L Dromlite bag and the 3L Kelty bladder. I know some guys like to be able fill a nalgene with hot water and take it to bed but I've never felt the need to on a sheep hunt. The dromlite bag weighs less than one nalgene 1L and holds 6L. To me it's a no brainer, has held up well and so far I haven't missed having a bottle.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I used one on my last sheep hunt and up north. This thing is great. Very fast too. I just hold it over my bottle or platy bag opening and pump it. Couple things to note.

I needed to back flush it on the sheep hunt do to dirty water. I did not have the instructions with me so had to make an expensive satphone call for someone to search the internet for them.

Another is that the water is not filtered for taste like with a ceramic filter. We had to pump some pretty dirty water one day and man did it taste like $#!t! It was bacteria free though!

Great tool to add to your kit!

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    ...I needed to back flush it on the sheep hunt do to dirty water. I did not have the instructions with me so had to make an expensive satphone call for someone to search the internet for them...
    Doesn't yours have the instruction sewn into to bag like mine does?

My instructions are also sewn into the bag. Maybe it has not always been this way, but very handy indeed!

I have been using one for a few years and have been very happy with it. I stopped using Nalgene bottles and have been using disposable water bottles. I take 2 20oz ones with the flip lid, the Hyperflow spout fits tight inside the bottle and also inside the Platypus bladders. The disposable bottles are a fraction of the weight of a Nalgene and I have never had one fail.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Those look pretty slick. Probably cheap too huh?... as my old huntin buddy Tony used to say "cheap but effective"

Mr. Steve,

Where do you get your Platypus blatters from, Beaver Sp?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger15 View Post
    Mr. Steve,

Where do you get your Platypus blatters from, Beaver Sp?
    Yes Sir.......
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks! I was planning a trip a there tomorrow, so I will check them out!

I use the MSR hydration bags (the red ones). Super light and they don't take up any space when empty. Also the water filter connects directly to them. I will also carry a 16-20 oz water bottle (like when you buy a bottle of water at the gas station). Much lighter than anything more durable. This I keep at camp for drinking water at night.

For water while I'm hunting, I carry an MSR hydromedary bladder (like a camelback). Really nice to be able to sip water without having to deal with a water bottle or getting it in and out of a pouch.