Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barney Yukon/Pinnacle Rain Cover ???

Default Barney Yukon/Pinnacle Rain Cover ???

I am looking for a rain cover to fit my Barney's Pinnacle/Yukon Pack (can't remember). Any suggestions out there? Sorry I intended on positing in the gear section and cannot figure out how to move the post....

Barney's has some rain covers in the store. I don't recall what brand it is. I am certain you could order one online if you pay attention to sizes.

I think Barneys sells one specifically for thier packs. Have you checked with them yet? I plan on going down there next week, I can check into it for you.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Thanks, that would be great, let me know what you find out. When I was there last I think they had only one (OR?) that I was told was a little small. I think OR is coming out with a new light weight rain fly that may fit better and I heard that Barney's is making their own but it is heavier but, of course it has the proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I think Barneys sells one specifically for thier packs. Have you checked with them yet? I plan on going down there next week, I can check into it for you.
    You are correct they do or at least did(havent checked lately) sell covers for their packs and they are really nice,they sinch down nicely for packin in the rain and keep your pack dry at night,i dont think they will work too well if you tie a bunch of stuff on the out side though but I put my sleeping pad on top of my pack and sinch it down with the big flap and I can still get my cover over it..
    Seem to recall that they were a little spendy,..

They cost between $60 and $80, but well worth it... sometimes they are on sale for a little off at the sportsmans show.

I bought a cover this winter for my Yukon. I think it was around 70 bucks. It's well made, thick, camo, and very large.

I have a pinnacle and dealt with this a few years ago. The cover I bought originally was wasted money. In the end I got the rain cover that Barney's sells. That's my recommendation.

I have the Yukon pack and use an Outdoor Research rain cover and it works great! Only $30 on backcountry.com. I have the XL and is is plenty big for a full pack!

Thanks when I was checking out the OR I noticed the Sea to Summit. Has anyone tried the Sea To Summit Ultra-light Siliconized Pack Cover it too is around $35, it shaves off a few ounces?

I went to Barney's Friday, they have a rain cover made to fit their packs. He has a bunch in stock for 69.95. They come in cammo, Orange, and one other color, I can't remember what the last color was, but I think it was green.

Duckslayer,
    did you end up getting a pack? I ordered mine a week ago and can't wait for it to come in so I can get it fitted and ready for use. I think it will be a great investment.

I have had mine for a few months. It's an awesome pack. I had a cabelas pack before that I used on the Dalton Highway death march. After the second load of meat the meat shelf colapsed, so I had to stop every 50 feet to restrap the load. Then I moved up to the Jim Shockey pack, I used that twice for caribou, and had no problems. The only thing I ran into was, I am a bigger guy and the pack wouldn't fit me very well. I then moved to the Barney's, I haven't had a chance to use it on a hunt yet, but I have been using if for sheep training. The straps are the most comfortable I have ever used, and the meat shelf has had no problems with 60 pound loads. It's a very solid pack, very comfortable, and has a lot of room. I don't think I will ever go with anything else for an external framed pack.

Yeah I'm a big guy too, 6'5" Finding stuff to fit is tough. Which bag did you end up getting? I went as big as I could and got the yukon. Would you recommend getting the rain cover? I am thinking I will buy one when I pick up my pack/frame.

Personally i think the covers are worth it in most cases. The nice thing with the cover is that you can have it on while hiking.The other nice thing is when the pack is left outside all night as in most situations it stays dry,the heavy duty bags at barneys can hold a lot of water(added unwanted weight) in the fabric and be difficult to dry out in the field...

I went with the hunter. I like the meat shelf option. I am definetly getting the rain cover, I plan on using my pack for hunting the mountains, so if the pack doesn't fit in the tent I want to make sure it's dry sitting outside. I have also checked into using dry bags for the inside of the pack which is another option.

Ducks I use both the cover and dry bags inside. I like the OR bags they have a great warranty on their gear. I recently sent in two old dry bags that were tore and my gaiters that were trashed from shale and they sent me all brand new stuff no charge.....

I will check into it. Do they carry them at Barney's, REI, or do you have to go online? I was looking at some Mountain Hardware gaiters, but sounds like OR has a really great warranty.

Nevermind, found them on REI website

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Nevermind, found them on REI website
    yea just some of the stores you named dont like to tell you about the warranty....

on a side note are you gettin pretty anxious to get on that hunt...lol
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast