Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afognak Island Elk

Default Afognak Island Elk

I drew a tag (DE711) for a bull elk on Afognak Island. I've been researching some options to do this hunt and am finding limited information. I understand this is not an easy hunt due to terrain, bears, etc. and have hunted Kodiak 4 times in the past so understand the weather implications too. Depending on my ability to get one of my hunting partners to go, may even be willing to book this as a guided hunt to increase success rate. I've looked at both bringing the camping gear and also found Raspberry Island lodge offers lodging and daily transport. So, I'm just looking to see if anyone has specific info about this hunt to shorten my steep learning curve and save some time.

Though I've killed elk before in the lower 48, I don't know anything about killing them up here except from what I've heard.....

Whenever I hear about somebody hunting elk up here I always think of a story. A few friends of mine always go to Kodiak to hunt deer. One year they brought along a guy that had an elk tag. This guy managed to kill one the first day. Needless to say in very short order the rest of the guys were cussin' him bad as it was taking up all their deer hunting time packing the **** thing out.

Good Luck...

Will be interested in what info you get here. Where did you get the info on the lodge on Raspberry lodge?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Hello irondave, I drew the DE717 tag and dont know very much about it. I also found the Raspberry Lodge website but my hunting partner (also drew the tag as we applied together) and I would like to make it a diy hunt. I have contacted the ADF&G office in Kodiak because I couldnt find a lot of info. If you like I will share any info I find with you if you would like to do the same let me know in a pm. The main info we are looking for now is a transporter either air or boat depending on how the hunt works. Good luck with your research and your hunting.

Hey Irondave, I drew a tag a couple years ago and hunter the east side. I was unsuccessful, ha! I didn't even see one! We saw plenty of bears though. My suggestion would be to fly over a couple days ahead of your hunt. Find out generally where they are because there can be a lot of space in between herds. One guy told me he saw 120 head of elk on the side of Duck mountain which means that there can be potentially a few miles to the next herd. Hope this helps

Thought I would jump in on this thread. My son drew a DE717. I have hunted the same tag before unsuccessfully. We saw elk but were unable to harvest one. Saw one bear and very few deer. This was about 4 years ago though so not very current. Used Andrews Airways on kodiak to fly to Afognak. Excellent service on more then one occassion! Can't say anything about the other services, never used them.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Blue Tunder,
    Just type in hunt raspberryisland and you will come up with the lodge.
    Dan

I hunted this tag two years ago. We landed and camped on Upper Millia Lake. Saw the herd from the air but it took us two days to hike to em. By the time we got there, they were gone and we never saw them again(7days total). We did manage to get couple of deer on our last day. Not many around.
    Only saw two bears. I still have my maps of the area and would be happy to help anyone interested.

Haha I told everyone that we were deer hunting with a Elk tag.

PM me with questions. I know I got a lot of help on here and I would like to return the favor.

Any advice or input for DE721?
    Have researched as much as I can and for some reason..there is little on here in regards to hunting this tab on Afognak.

Thanks..PM me or post here..either way thanks.
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Wingshooter:
    I'll be on Afognak deer hunting from the state parks' Pillar Lake cabin at the end of Oct. Do you know anything about that area? Any chance at elk/goats in that area? Also, do you know anything about caribou (feral reindeer) that's mentioned in the hunting regs for Unit 8 (Kodiak)?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smada View Post
    Wingshooter:
    I'll be on Afognak deer hunting from the state parks' Pillar Lake cabin at the end of Oct. Do you know anything about that area? Any chance at elk/goats in that area? Also, do you know anything about caribou (feral reindeer) that's mentioned in the hunting regs for Unit 8 (Kodiak)?
    Thanks.
    There are no caribou or goats on Afognak despite what the regs say.

There are registration hunts for elk on Afognak but you need to check the regs on that.

Sorry no I don't have any information on that area. We were on the most South Eastern Part of Afognak. As far a the deer that we did get into, they were at the very tops of the mountains. We just found a high spot and glassed for a long time. Sometimes they are laying down and are hard to spot. We came from below on a group of 5 or 6 and they didn't seem to pay much attention to us. We actually shot a buck about 150yrd away then had 3 does stand up 30yrds from us after the shot. They wern't the least bit scared of us.
    Good luck!

Wingshooter:
    Thanks.

Wingshooter:
    Thanks.

SMADA,
    There are no goats on Afognak, only Kodiak, and the caribou are only on Kodiak Island, down near Karluk, Halibut Cove. I had some friends hunt out of the Piller Lake cabin about four years ago. They were able to get their deer; however, they did see several bears in the area of the cabin. I remember them telling me to read the log book at the cabin as one side is easier to hunt then the other, they found out the hard way. The elk move around allot, could be near the cabin one day and gone the next. I hope this helps.

Good luck. I hope you can find them.

How did your hunt turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by irondave View Post
    I drew a tag (DE711) for a bull elk on Afognak Island. I've been researching some options to do this hunt and am finding limited information. I understand this is not an easy hunt due to terrain, bears, etc. and have hunted Kodiak 4 times in the past so understand the weather implications too. Depending on my ability to get one of my hunting partners to go, may even be willing to book this as a guided hunt to increase success rate. I've looked at both bringing the camping gear and also found Raspberry Island lodge offers lodging and daily transport. So, I'm just looking to see if anyone has specific info about this hunt to shorten my steep learning curve and save some time.
    how did your hunt turn out?

Wingshooter:
    Thanks.
    Smada, tried to PM you with info, but you don't have enough posts yet to get PMs.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I'll be hunting Elk from Pillar Lake this October with DE723. How did your hunt go Smada? See any Elk? Ill be going in with my buddy, who also has a tag, and both of our dads, so we have plenty of strong backs to do what we need to. Any advise would be appreciated!

Any follow up on the Pillar lake hunts mentioned in this thread?

Anybody that hunted Elk from the Pillar Lake area care to comment about their experience?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast