Thread: Koyukuk river miles

Default Koyukuk river miles

I just thought I would post the various mile waypoints for folks making the trip this year. This has come in handy for me. The document got a little screwed up while I was trying to figure out how to load it on here, but I think it still makes sense.

iphone 014.jpg

Thanks, I'll probably never get up there but I've always wondered how far it was.

I'll save that list. Thanks Troutbum.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I just thought I would post the various mile waypoints for folks making the trip this year. This has come in handy for me. The document got a little screwed up while I was trying to figure out how to load it on here, but I think it still makes sense.

iphone 014.jpg
    Thx, I just PM you on some insight, and didn't see this post.

Does it save any distance to put in at Manley Hot springs?

Looks like it would save about 60 river miles to put in at manley, is there a good/convient way to get any gas from any of the towns or villages? I really would like to do a long haul on my boat and this sounds like a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    Looks like it would save about 60 river miles to put in at manley, is there a good/convient way to get any gas from any of the towns or villages? I really would like to do a long haul on my boat and this sounds like a good one.
    You can get fuel usually at every village if you're there before 4 or 5 each day. Just need to do your homework. If I recall, Tanana closes at 6, Ruby is 4 or 5 and Galena is 7. Prices vary and below Tanana (goes up), and cash is king?
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    That's almost exactly what you save by going to Manley. The 90 mile gravel road to Manley leaves a lot to be desired. I think from now on I'll just take the extra river miles and put in at the bridge. By the time I got to Manley, all the bolts/screws had fallen out of 3 of my 5 doors/lids in my boat, one trailer light lens fell off and was lost, then on the way out, I had a blow out on the rear tire of the truck. The tire had about 75% tread on it. It's a pretty rough road.

I believe it is only 15 miles farther by road to Manley than it is the bridge and the road can be worse than the haul road. The total trade is 30 miles more of a rougher road along with a river that can be tougher to run (Tanana) or 120 miles more on the Yukon. While I have done both I prefer the Manley route simply for the fuel savings.

How do these miles compare if you were to go from Nenana or FBKS?? ALso, where is Kateel and Ellas Cabin relative to Huslia?

We opted for safety first with heavy loads going up river and falling water levels. The road to manley and the questionable navigation on the Tanana was all it really took for us to put in at the bridge instead and do the nice big easy Yukon. A nice dreamy ride, if that is what you are looking for. Unless of course the weather goes bad, but when does that happen?

We really enjoyed the adventure of it all and the long boat ride was fun. It takes all year to save up for it though. It is a LONG haul for sure. Gas logistics are a huge concern followed by being prepared mechanically followed by wether you take beer or liquor to save weight instead of both.

Quote Originally Posted by redneck doctor View Post
    How do these miles compare if you were to go from Nenana or FBKS?? ALso, where is Kateel and Ellas Cabin relative to Huslia?
    From Nenana to Tananna is 163 according to my GPS odom this fall. I believe it's 120 from the Yukon Bridge. They were still running a barge on the Tananna late September so I'm sure you could still run a prop. We ran the shallows in a jet to increase speeds as much as 5mph when possible. Bumped bottom a number of times but never stuck it. As long as you read the river correct and pay close attention, the Tananna was/is an easy run. The launch at Manely appeared pretty sketchy. Very steep. Not sure if it's like that always but it could use a little TLC.