Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moved to Alaska to hunt

Default Moved to Alaska to hunt

I've been posting on this board for a long time and contributing. You've seen what kinda adventures I've had.

In these uncertain times of finacial strife, increasing costs, real estate uncertainty we're all making adjustments.

I just wanted to see how many people on this bulletin board are like me. I moved to Alaska to pursue hunting and fishing. I rented out a nice house in Bellingham, Washington after unsuccesfully being able to sell. I'm an accidental landlord.
    I've moved away from my immediate family which is hard with three young children. I work hard and contribute to AK's economy and structure. My dear wife does too.

So each and every privlege I get from F&G is cherished knowing I've moved and sacrificed leaving behind the lower 48 and setting roots in AK with me and mine.

How many others on here have moved and sacrificed just to enjoy the privlege of hunting, fishing, and roaming Alaska?

I did....for that reason, mainly to hunt sheep..........my wife still wonders about it, but she's going to realize hopefully come August when she endures the pain and agony of the most fullfilling experience of a lifetime chasing the crown jewel.....

Well, I kinda moved up for the same reason. Lucky me, I bagged a wife first and foremost and the hunting, fishing and trapping followed. After 25 yrs. she lets me play just about as much as I want in the great outdoors!

I moved here in 91 to start over and for the hunting and fishing. Growing up hunting and fishing in Western MT Alaska always held the magical quality of the ultimate place for the outdoorsman. Alaska has been good to me. I met my current wife here 18 years ago who was born and raised in Fairbanks. I've been able to hunt and shoot moose, sheep, caribou and griz. Got to go into DCUA twice. Catch salmon, halibut, grayling, etc. Alaska still has more to offer that I have not been able to do. But, if it were all over tomorrow I'm still blessed to have been able to experience what I have.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have been trying to get up here since I was 8 years old. I remember reading about Alaska in the Outdoor Life and Field & Stream magazines. I was always fascinated with the monster kings, and schools of fish so big it looked like you could walk across the river and not get your feet wet. I remember seeing the big game pics in those mags and being fascinated with them.

Waterfowl has always been my passion in life. The hunting up here is awesome, it's just too bad it so short. Now I am becoming obsessed with sheep hunting. I want to get a ram from every range since I will probably never be able to afford a grand slam.

Now I am trying to find a way to stay up here. The military is going to ship me out in 2013. This is the place I am going to retire. Even if I can't get back during my military career, I will be back as soon as that is over.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post

Now I am trying to find a way to stay up here. The military is going to ship me out in 2013. This is the place I am going to retire. Even if I can't get back during my military career, I will be back as soon as that is over.

Have you looked into active duty National Guard (AGR)? It's how I stayed in Alaska and kept an active duty career. I'm not a recruiter, just sayin'.
    PC gag in place.

I moved up here 20 years ago at the age of 23 just for the fishing. I had traveled around the lower 48 for 4 years prior to coming up here and of all the states that I lived in (10) in the lower 48, every place I live I was there strictly to fish. I worked odd jobs just enough to support my fishing habit. I considered myself a true trout bum. Came up here and found the place where I belonged. Came for the fishing, stayed for the hunting.

Yes I have, and I plan on talking to the recruiter soon.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Never thought of active guard. Might consider that myself where the stationed at in ak

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.705385,-77.144102

I grew up reading stories about Alaska and then I when I joined the Army my recruiter said no worries you will get stationed in AK. I tried everything to get AK. I got sent to Belgium, Hi, VA beach, GA etc and then I finally got to AK. Now I don't want to leave. Eventually I'll retire and be a fishing or hunting guide.

I moved up in 94 to feed my hunting addiction. My wife was the girlfriend @ the time. We knew no one in AK & still have no close family in the state. My grandfather came up the yr before and the pictures he took & stories he told was enough. I scrapped up the $1000 bucks I needed to cross into canada & never looked back. Times are tough fuel prices are up, but I still make it happen by what ever means I can. Seen & done some awesome things & hope for lots more!

Alaska is a great state! The things you can do up here verus other states... But, When one retires you still have to work... I'm looking towards Idaho these days, due to how far a military retiremnet check will get you down there. I have good friends retired down there. But I have alot of **** good friends up here. If I can talk my wife into it I would sell the house here in Wasilla and move to a place like Glennallen and live a quite life, my wife beign a government employee might have a hard time getting a job up there. This of course would happen after I retire. Me I would just egg Mod_Elan house everyday to keep myself active.

As a child I was pretty much raised on venison, ducks, geese and pheasants provided by dear old Dad. So after my engagement fell through, I pretty much followed him up here back in 83'. A school buddy was already living here and the first thing he said was "Get your ass down here the Kings are runnin' hot". Of course at least a few of you guys know what King fishing was like on the Kenai back then. That's all it took.......I was in love. Next I found myself killing moose and sheep pretty much in my back yard. Then back in the early 90's I became a BG guide. I'm so glad I did as I really did it to see more of AK. Even at that I've barely scratched the surface. Wish the seasons would have been longer because it was good money doing what you love. Just couldn't do it year round.

Raised 4 kids up here (two of my own) and they are all out on their own now, but my two are still in AK. Loved raising them here in a great school. Though it's not much, the house and 3 acres is paid for. I have to wonder if I could have done that in the lower 48...???

My first King pretty much sealed the deal for me in AK...

my family moved here to hunt............................about 10,000 years ago I think.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    my family moved here to hunt............................about 10,000 years ago I think.
    I don't think they had a choice.......lol

My wife and I were married in July 99. By September, we were in Fairbanks, AK. To be honest, fishing and hunting have always been my main focus in life. I guess that I can admit that openly on this forum.....Hi my name is Frank and I am a selfish ass%$^# about hunting and fishing. Anyway, Alaska has been very good for us. We have been blessed with two children born here. Each of our careers have been rewarding and successful, so far. It has been a sacrifice to live far away from other family members. On the other hand, us having to depend on each other up here has only strengthened our marriage. I feel that living in AK has given us a greater appreciation for things in life that really matter.
    I have been lucky to have lived in many different parts of the state. We spent a year out on the Bering Coast. I worked in Deadhorse for a winter. Fairbanks was our home for 7 years. I spent a couple years in Wrangell in the mid 90s. Now, we live in Metlakatla. Eventually, I hope to live in Valdez, McGrath, Nome, or Kodiak. It all depends on openings in the job market.
    I have been lucky to have caught more fish up here than I could have ever dreamed. I spend all winter dreaming up my next exciting hunt. It truly consumes me.
    There is one surprising and most cherished thing that has come out of our years in AK. We have met the most amazing people. We have close friends literally from every part of the country. Each year, more of them come and go. It is always sad for us to see friends leave but that's how AK is. Some of us stay and most leave. I love Alaska and am proud to call it my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post

So each and every privlege I get from F&G is cherished knowing I've moved and sacrificed leaving behind the lower 48 and setting roots in AK with me and mine.

How many others on here have moved and sacrificed just to enjoy the privlege of hunting, fishing, and roaming Alaska?
    I'm curious why you phrased the question as you did. Never really considered moving here a "sacrifice". Neither do I consider the use of natural resources, wildlife, a "privilege". Humans can only survive by using natural resources. All food we eat is natural, either grown or harvested. Our constitution requires the state govt to manage our wildlife for the benefit of the people, which includes hunting, fishing, and trapping. The consumptive use of natural resources is NOT a privilege. It is a requirement for life!
    I did move here for the outdoor activities. 1978. Was more interested in outdoor activities being a means of support, than a recreational privilege. Left parents and other relatives behind, but didn't look at that as a "sacrifice". Did spend a number of years supporting myself by consumptive use of wildlife.
    However, the parents are in their last years and I do make the sacrifice to leave Alaska to regularly spend time with them.
    Like 323 says, may have to leave Alaska to allow retirement dollars to go as far as possible.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Everyone responding here has been here for 10+ years. Moving in the 80's and 90's. So, I'll be the young guy . I moved here when I was 22 (in 2010). If you caught me 4 years ago, I would have no idea that I'd be lucky enough to live here. Faite brought me here. My sister worked in Denali for a summer in 2006 (teacher). In 2008 I was going to hike the appalachain trail while on summer break from college (Tennesse and I was going to stop in PA, my hometown). My sister said F that, see AK. So I went to Skagway for the summer, fell in LOVE. 2 years later, I applied for a job here and perfect timing landed me a great job. I get to see a lot of the state; Fairbanks, Sitka, Kotzebue, all along the pipeline for work. I meet the best people, because that's what Alaska has.

For the hunting and fishing, I'm a fool. I love every second of it. Just hiking around here is a blessing. I will be that guy in 30 years talking about moving here in my 20's. If anyone has the opportunity to move somewhere like this, they need to jump all over it. I have had the opportunity to hunt moose, caribou, black bear and sheep in 18 short months. I will continue with that this year and hunt brown bear and goats. Hopefully, I'll make more great, lifelong friends too!

MT....Good questions. It's all a matter of perspective I guess. How about the fact that I sacrifice access to choices relating to education and extracuricular activities for my children. I Sacrifice access to quick and competative automotive service. I really enjoy having a variety of restraunts to choose from, so for me its a sacrifice. In my case I'd say honestly that leaving my loving mother, father, brothers and sisters behind was a sacrifice. In the dead of winter, I also feel I've sacrificed daylight.

Dispite all that....I find a strong connections to this land and it's people. For me,hunting is a privlege too, every single time.

Looks like I'm in good company here and lot's of you have chosen AK too.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    In my case I'd say honestly that leaving my loving mother, father, brothers and sisters behind was a sacrifice. Looks like I'm in good company here and lot's of you have chosen AK too.
    I couldn't agree more with this statement. Everyday I realize the sacrifice I've made by moving here. My Family is one of the most important things in my life. I moved 4500 miles away to be able to hunt and fish here. It's extremely difficult on my conscious to be so far away. If I could get them to move here, I'd never leave the state!! ....Any ideas on getting them to move here??? Mom doesnt like cold or dark, hmmmmmm. I'm working on my Dad, bringing him up for a bear hunt...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast