Thread: peninsula brown bear hunting

Default peninsula brown bear hunting

does anyone know if you can legally hunt the pacific coast line from king cove going north towards sand point for brown bear? i noticed looking on the DNR website that most of the coast to inland about 5-10 miles is native corp land. i have spoken with a wildlife officer out of king salmon and also a DNR representative and neither one of them could give me a straight answer. in my research i have found several guides/outfitters that operate in the same coastal area that i am interested in hunting but am not sure if they have a deal cut with the owning native corp to be able to hunt there. if they do, is it possible i could pay a trust pay fee to hunt the same areas? i would prefer to hunt this coastline as there are mountains closer buy and i looks like better hunting. also, i feel that since it is not state land on the pacific side like the bearing sea side, there should be less pressure.

any information on this subject would be appreciated?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    does anyone know if you can legally hunt the pacific coast line from king cove going north towards sand point for brown bear? i noticed looking on the DNR website that most of the coast to inland about 5-10 miles is native corp land. i have spoken with a wildlife officer out of king salmon and also a DNR representative and neither one of them could give me a straight answer. in my research i have found several guides/outfitters that operate in the same coastal area that i am interested in hunting but am not sure if they have a deal cut with the owning native corp to be able to hunt there. if they do, is it possible i could pay a trust pay fee to hunt the same areas? i would prefer to hunt this coastline as there are mountains closer buy and i looks like better hunting. also, i feel that since it is not state land on the pacific side like the bearing sea side, there should be less pressure.

any information on this subject would be appreciated?

thanks
    not sure if I can completely answer but I would contact the native corp as it would be their land.Doesn't matter if guides are hunting it Native corp could be leasing it out to them some corps do let you pay a tresspass fee to hunt but in that area I would doubt it would be cheap,,hope that helps a little

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    not sure if I can completely answer but I would contact the native corp as it would be their land.Doesn't matter if guides are hunting it Native corp could be leasing it out to them some corps do let you pay a tresspass fee to hunt but in that area I would doubt it would be cheap,,hope that helps a little
    does anyone know how to contact the native corp or know a contact person that might know who to call? thanks.

when you were researching did you find out what corp owned the land..

good hunting for sure.......good advice, well worth paying a tresspass fee.......some of that coastline is amazing...

are you familiar with working with the king cove corp or the shumagin corp out of sand point ninefoot? can a resident hunter pay a trespass fee to hunt with them or are their lands locked up by outfitters? thanks.