Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut - Homer vs Ninlinchik

Default Halibut - Homer vs Ninlinchik

in Aug, would you recommend a Halibut charter out of Homer or Ninlichik ?

thanks.

Don't discount the Anchor Point option. Pretty sweet but I admit, I'm biased. -ha
    EMO

I like Homer, but heard good thing about Ninlichik.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Homer.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

so fishing out of homer would be better than out of ninilchik? any reasons why, i heard both fish the same waters - cook inlet. but ninilchik may have a shorter ride out to the the spots.

I've only done one in each, but the scenery in Homer was much better, fishing was about the same, but it was a shorter run to where I fished out of Ninilchik....but as far as overlap of the two ports....I dunno.

Then again, watching a skidsteer launch your boat on the beach in Ninilchik is pretty cool too.

each location has its benefits and drawbacks. homer is a farther drive, but better scenery. the boat ride is ~2 hours longer out of homer as well, which i'm not a big fan of. the average fish caught out of homer is slightly larger, but you can have big fish days at either spot. one thing i will tell you is not to get on a party boat (~50 footer) out of homer (they don't run them out of ninilchik). find a six pack charter instead (fishes ~6 people at a time). these smaller boats are more comfortable, faster, more personal, and less chaotic. if i were you, i'd fish out of anchor point, which is about halfway between ninilchik and homer. they fish the same grounds as the homer fleet, weather permitting, and then you can drive to homer for the sightseeing afterwards.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I would reccomend ninilchik or Anchor Point. Shorter run and most all of the opertors are first class. I went with Alaska saltwater adventures several times and they were great. A friend of mine has been going with with Catch a lot Charters and always comes back w/ big fish and has a great time.
    Good luck

hey boats out of seldovia fish the anchor point grounds, homer boats fish seldovia grounds, and I wouldn't be suprised in anchor point boats fish kachemak bay waters, its hard to go wrong with any of them. Myself I like flat island
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Charterboat Operator

Default august

by August many of the Ninilchick charters are running out of Anchor point
    typically during this time of year the majority of the halibut are tending to be moving towards a little deeper water, and south is the direction most skippers will take you. if you run from deep creek/Ninil, you may make as long of a run from there as you would from homer only to get where you could practically drive to. If/when you book from deep creek ask where they will be launching?
    that is also a great time of year to pick up silver salmon, many of which can be done all while halibut fishing.
    good luck!

thanks for the good info.. cant wait to get out there.

im staying in Homer mid-Aug with the wife (a rookie but wants to go out for halibut with me) so was hoping to find best charter possible for both of us.. i was considering ninilchik due to the shorter ride out to fishing grounds, but not sure if that would decrease catch, or should i just stick to homer.. tough call.

Default Homer

Homer in Mid August especially if the tides are greatert than 17 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
    Homer in Mid August especially if the tides are greatert than 17 feet.

Your right but it seems right about that time. Them not good dog fish show up
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by brakatak View Post
    thanks for the good info.. cant wait to get out there.

im staying in Homer mid-Aug with the wife (a rookie but wants to go out for halibut with me) so was hoping to find best charter possible for both of us.. i was considering ninilchik due to the shorter ride out to fishing grounds, but not sure if that would decrease catch, or should i just stick to homer.. tough call.
    Take her on a six pack boat and not a perty boat. This way she will get more attention if needed. To much going on with a party boat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm a fan of Ninilchik, but try to find a charter not doing doubles! Plus you get the added bonus of a skid steer launch and recovery! This one came from Ninilchik - so big we fillet it with a chainsaw

Default Ninilchik generally has a

rougher tide. My family has gone twice and at one time they 5# or more of lead on the lines. I have heard there are deep channels out there. Not sure who they went with but they went straight across the inlet pretty much. I would recommend Homer. That is where I fish, although closer to anchor point, about 12 miles south of there. so pretty much homer. All depends on the captain on where they are going to fish. They can catch monsters out of either location. But rougher tide is not fun. Gut buster just trying to hold on the rod let alone even a 15#chicken. Main thing is watch the tide table and pick a day around 9' difference. Good luck. Watch the sticky as i will hopefully post some spots this summer on my boat.

Nice pic Wyatt! (although I heard that one was kinda "woody" tasting... )

If you are looking for a good outfit out of the Ninilchik/Deep creek area, I'd go with Heavenly Sights. They have a nice campground where you can pitch a tent, park an RV, or rent a small cabin and the charter leaves right from their parking lot. We have stayed with them several times (fishing with our own boat) and the charter boat always comes back with a load of impressive fish.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

these are the Homer tides for the days i was hoping to book.. are these good ?
    thanks again for all the help.

8/11/20071:46 +18.4 H8:23 -2.0 L14:55 +17.6 H20:29 +3.1 L8/12/20072:34 +19.3 H9:02 -2.6 L15:31 +18.6 H21:11 +2.0

20 foot tides can be tough. You will be using quite a bit of weight to get down... I would much rather fish a tide half that size.

Default half & half

If possible stay away from the days with the negative tides. In other words the one with -2.0 & the -2.6. would be good ones to avoid.
    These are the days the tide pull will be the strongest meaning you will need more weight to keep you bait on the bottom & not be fishing Kodiak while your boat is anchored out of Homer
    Generally opinion will tell you the fishing is worse on these days although that is not always the case as more bait might be flowing through. However they are harder conditions to fish in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast