Thread: Interior Newbie

Default Interior Newbie

I realize that this is similar to another recent post, but I figured I'd still try.

Spent my youth ice fishing the Midwest and finally got gear to go up here, though I lack electronics and a snow machine. With that being said, and trying to stick to the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle to start, I think I should rule out heading to Harding to look for the beasts from the deep some of you all have been pullin up this year. Instead, I was thinking I shoud concentrate on Birch and Quartz. Sound reasonable?

Running the risk of becoming part of the meaning of the word, but, would I be correct in ASSUMING a good place to start to get a feel for everything and catch some fish (though not huge) would be in and around the state huts on both those lakes? Thanks as I try not to get zeros out fishing the first few times!

Cheers,

PK

Welcome to the interior! To my experience, you're bound to get zeros at Birch... Quartz has a decent population of sizeable fish but the bite seems to slow down anywhere past mid-winter.

I've always had good luck at the multitude of ponds/gravel pits/lakes right around town.

Here's a link that should help ya... http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...kedLakes07.pdf

Best of luck!

-akiceman25

lots of people catch fish out at birch, they are mainly little guys but you can catch a lot of them. Last time I was there they were hitting on orange shrimpo jigs and plain hooks tipped with shrimp or eggs. We caught a few rainbows, a little silver salmon, and a few char. We were out by hut d-18 which was doing better than what ever number the other hut was behind it, I think because it was in slightly deeper water. They usually bite best early and the rest of the day is kinda hit and miss, but we were there from about 11-4ish.

if u got 10inch auger ,heavy pole ,single hooks and a little patients go to harding ur only gonna learn by getten out there, you dont need electronics, fish are fish .put hook in the water,doesnt work try sumthing else . you got spoons,tubes, airplanes, clackers and what ever.try sum different set ups, dont just do what everyone else says works. remember little fish are fun for kids. go big or go home

Default Electronics a Must

If you are going to fish deep water lakes you need electronics. Every fish that we have caught was with the use of electronics. We have seen fish from 40ft all the way to 140ft. Without them you are totally fishing blind and if you caught something it would be pure luck. The pictues say it all.

A picture says it all; use the KISS method of fishing...

photo 2c.JPG
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Haha! Who needs electronics when you have the face paint?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Big Water = big gear

If you want to fish big water, meaning deep lakes, having the right gear will give you a better opportunity to hook into a nice fish. If you want to fish small water, meaning shallow lakes, then you most certainly do not need as much gear. If you are fishing in say 8 to 15 feet of water, chances are you can see the entire water column if you look down the hole. If you are fishing off the bottom and see a fish come through in the middle of the water column you can easily reel up to it or vice versa.

In big water like Harding lake, you can substantially increase your chance of hooking a nice fish if you have electronics. Electronics allow you to see the entire water column and you can instantly adjust the depth of your lure to where the fish are marked. Also allows you to see the baitfish and where they are in the water column. Where the baitfish are, the predators are not far away.

I would second the advice of akiceman25 in regard to the ponds and lakes around town. If you have your own ice auger, then that is the way to go for some action that is close. You will not catch anything real big but the action will be better than Birch or Quartz this time of year. Polaris lake on Eielson is also a good place to start.

Thanks for the information guys. While I agree that 'fishin is fishin', but having a bit of information (such as electronics provide) turns fishin into catchin', especially on big water. Needless to say I'll stick to the smaller guys for a bit. I'm glad you reminded me of the ponds around here, I tend to forget about them since I figured most of them freeze out over the winter...we shall see how things go this weekend.

I thought Birch and Quartz started to pick up in March as the temps warmed and we go more daylight?...

Cheers,

PK

We were out at Quartz last weekend and nobody was catching anything. Towards the end of the day I started wandering around with one of those little handheld sonars and pegged a couple of fish north of the rental shacks, but it was slow, slow, slow, and slow.