Thread: Alaska to North Dakota! HHmmmmmm

Default Alaska to North Dakota! HHmmmmmm

Well, it's finally I have to leave this great state for a while. Headed to the uh....great state of ND.:-0
    Will be working an ROTC position at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks.

I have been looking at the hunting regs and looks like archery deer will be going on when I get there in October.

Have any of you been around that area or done any hunting of any type there?

Would appreciate any insites into the world of ND if you have it.

Thanks for all

Jason

My Buddy is from North Dakota, and was just stationed there (Grand Forks)and now is here. There's some good sheep tags there if you can draw, good muley and whitetail.....if you get a chance buy some property, because that place is boomin"....

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Well, it's finally I have to leave this great state for a while. Headed to the uh....great state of ND.:-0
    Will be working an ROTC position at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks.

I have been looking at the hunting regs and looks like archery deer will be going on when I get there in October.

Have any of you been around that area or done any hunting of any type there?

Would appreciate any insites into the world of ND if you have it.

Thanks for all

Jason
    I'm from Western ND, Killdeer/Dickinson area. Still have all our family back there and looking forward to getting back myself in the next 4 yrs for good. We hunt Whitetail, Mulies, Elk (landowner tags or draw if your lucky), moose (draw) big horn sheep (draw), antelope has been postponed for the last year or so, varmits and all the waterfowl you can ask for. If you have any specifics or need a place to hunt PM me.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

Born and raised in Bismarck. would be more than welcome to answer any questions you have. Dont count on ELK, Moose, maybe an antelope, but lots of white tail and mule. probably more mule deer where you will be. Along the rivers youll find more whitetail. Not a whole lot of tree's so spot and stock is a great way to hunt. Alot of road hunting and then walk a mile or so to a tree row somewhere in a field or tall grass area that looks like a good bedding spot. Up and around Dickinson near Theodore Rosevelt National park is the best hunting in the state and beautiful badlands country. that is where youll find your Antelope, but get in line takes about five years to draw a tag. for bow hunitng its fifteen dollars I believe for a any deer tag and fifteen to buy more doe tags over the counter. A buck rifle tag in most units requires a drawing and somtimes tags are left over. Up neer the canadian boarder is where youll find your moose, but trust me its a once in a lifetime draw and I believe resident only. It is also very hard to get so get your Moose hunting out of the way. As for ELK never heard of a guy ever taking one, but I know it is also a once in a lifetime draw and unless you have ten years of points built up in putting in on these dont count on it. Sheep also falls in this catagory. One thing ND has for it is its giant mule deer and abundent pheaseant. A hunt there cost you the price of gas and bullets. have fun have any further questions let me know.

Well, I grew up in two small towns in central ND. I also graduated from UND and hunted all over the state. Grand Forks offers some great waterfall hunting especially 45 minutes west near Devils Lake. Probably some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation, period!

Buy a blind and some decoys and you will have a blast.

In ND, you can drive everywhere unlike up here but that means you will see other folks. I go back and hunt as a non-res almost every year. The deer population got hit really hard the last two years from wet springs to bad winters, the numbers are way down. The same goes for the upland bird hunting, hit extremely hard by mother nature!

The country is wide open with little trees except those in "shelterbelts" which are basically windrow/breaks near farmsteads or fields. The chances of drawing a ONCE IN A LIFETIME tag for sheep, moose or elk are very very slim! Also only open to residents, I believe.

There is good hunting around Grand Forks for deer and waterfowl, just head north or southwest and find management land or PLOTS land. Also, land owners are pretty good about giving permission if you stop by and ask.

There is a Cabelas store just across the river that I am sure you will visit, my brother used to work there.

The fishing is awesome as well for Walleyes (tied with halibut for my favorite fish to eat), perch, catfish, Nothern Pike. GF has good catfishing on the RedRiver.

Just do some research, make some local friends and you will be fine. ND has some of the nicest people you will meet, people still don't lock their doors in the smaller towns, great place to raise a family. When I retire, my family will be moving back for sure.

Any other questions let me know.

Concur with sert511 about the awesome waterfowl hunting in eastern ND, best I have seen anywhere, alot less hunter as well compared to SC Alaska. Archery deer goes for 4 months with very little hunting pressure within an hour of Grand Forks. Get to know the farmers, many welcome waterfowl and archery hunters to rid them of deer and snow geese that can take a toll on their crops. One can hunt the entire fall bow season and encounter few other hunters. During early archery season the mosquitoes can be brutal.

Enjoy

No pheasants in that part of ND, need to go far west and south.

With the new oil fields in that region coming up something like 25,000 people short of filling all the job openings in 2011, I'd expect that the massive influx of people is going to change much of the recreational pressures on everything, including hunting and fishing. Things could be quite crowded this year!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I did my graduate work in wildlife management at UND less than two years ago. I spent as much time chasing animals as I did researching them. PM for more details. The PLOTS recommendation was dynamite. I've got a "secret" pheasant spot near town if you follow up. It's been a dry winter so spring should be easy on deer and gamebird populations. The waterfowl production has been huge the last few years and if you go west and north or south you'll find great migratory bird hunting. Get a ground blind, some Canada goose shells and a few full body ducks and enjoy the show. I've either hunted or know someone that has hunted every tag in that state. You'll enjoy it and even though you have to leave town for the best spots it's minor compared to Alaska.
    Go Big Red!

I appreciate all of your responses and I will be in contact with each of you. Right now I am looking at the housing market and am not finding much. I plan to keep my place in AK so I can move back if that works itself out so will probably rent something in GF.

I am excited about the different hunting opportunities. I have never done water foul so will have to get into that.

What are the PLOTS?

I wont be worried about the moose, elk or sheep. Two sheep tags and 100 bucks to draw. hmm Not good odds! hahaha. I do plan to deer hunt this year with the longbow though!

I have a cousin with hound dogs in Williston so will try to put something together with him as well. He took a really nice, huge tom, 178lbs. Crawled into a cave with a flashlight and a pistol. Lots of B@$$s.

Thanks again and look forward to PM's being sent. I have been in AK for a while so if you need anything let me know

Jason

PLOTS land is Private Land Open To Sportsman, it a good program. You can pickup a PLOTS book in most places lic. are sold. He have some land listed in there as well. Ya them lifetime tags aint easy to draw. Elk is about all we have done in our family and thats with landowner/gratis tags. You really will enjoy all the opps available to you. Huntin mulies down in the breaks of the Badlands and Whitetails up on top is something you will never forget. Best of luck to ya and straight shootin.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

Some of the best waterfowl hunting anywhere. Great whitetail as well. Mulies are west of the Missouri. Don't forget spring/fall turkey. You could also hunt SD as nonresident for minimal money.

Did the UND gig a decade ago...shot trap and skeet for the uni-team. Lots of great waterfowling and fishing nearby...we also had a couple spots for upland nearby. Out west, it's hard to say what the oil industry will do with pressure. Like the slope, the folks show up and work for 2-3 weeks and then have time off to go home. They haven't built much infrastructure [yet] for the bulk of the employees to live out there permanently. That said, it will likely show little change to pressure across the state by GFK for a while. Sounds like PG13 did almost the identical things we did on a daily basis..."Secret Slough" "Secret Channel" "Secret Everything" for a while anyway. /cheers.

Well I dont head that way until October, but I just filled out my any deer archery application. I am getting pretty excited to start hunting another state!

When I was in the Air Force I was station at Grand Forks great whitetail hunting bird hunting doves,waterfowl grouse are all excellent. My brother retired out of the Air Force and now lives in Minot I go down and deer hunt with my bow every year.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Hey all,
    Another question for anyone that may have some insite.
    I own a Soar Pro Pioneer, will there be any need or use for this type of water craft down around that area? Or anywhere around there for that matter?
    Thanks
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    I own a Soar Pro Pioneer, will there be any need or use for this type of water craft down around that area? Or anywhere around there for that matter?
    That's a lot of boat for local/shorter trips than you would put in up here. Of course you could find uses for it but you really might be better off selling it up here to people that know it's value and picking up something more appropriate for that area. It would be a great boat for the Red Lake River just across the border in MN. http://redlakerivercorridor.org/ They have been working hard to make this scenic trip available for lots of folks though so if you're looking for solitude, elsewhere is probably a better choice. I was thinking it would be a good craft for waterfowling too but you would want to brush it out. There are some big wetland complexes in there that it might serve you well on. Lots of guys refuse to walk around the big wetlands and just like anywhere, the further off the road, the greater your chances are of finding game. The fall is tough though because it dries out so much that wetland connectivity might not be there and you're left hauling yourself AND the boat across dry land.

In summary, you could take it and you would still use it some but it's probably easier to just leave it behind and pick up a river boat for catching those big Red River catfish and walleyes or a lake boat and exploring the Devils Lake complex to the west.
    Go Big Red!

I live 14 miles NE of Devils Lake, roughly 70 miles west of Grand Forks. Been here for about 30 years. Whitetail and waterfowling is second to none, which is why I moved up here from Minn in the first place. My plan was to get to Alaska from here but it just never worked out. I can't complain too much, our house is full of great deer & speed goat trophies we've taken here over the years. I even drew a one in a lifetime moose tag in 91', got a big cow about 40 minutes north of my place, up in the Pembina Gorge which borders Canada.

Probably the most free/least regulated state in the union. Our hunting regs are little three fold pamphlets, not mini-novels like some states have. As another example, it is legal to carry a long gun uncased and loaded in the magazine in your vehicle. Saves time when a guy runs across a coyote on the way to town.

Lots of PLOTS (Public Land Open To Sportsmen), WPAs and WMAs to hunt. The Badlands is almost all public land. Getting permission to hunt private land is getting more difficult every year but if you are willing to knock on a few doors you'll find private land to hunt as well. Easiest to get on for waterfowl, harder for deer.

The fishing on Devils Lake is outstanding, if you're into fishing.

The Badlands are spectacular and are a great place to do some bowhunting for whitetail or mule bucks and goats (goats are currently closed as numbers are down). Some of the biggest whitetails I've ever seen have been out there. If you are used to whitetails, even a medium sized 4 point mule buck will get your heart thumping. When you see a big one, you won't believe it...

I take roughly 8 weeks off between Sept-Dec every year and hunt pretty much non-stop right around the farmstead. My two labs split several hundred retreives a season. We primarily hunt waterfowl in harvested fields with layout blinds. You haven't lived until you've had tornadoes of mallards fighting with the geese to get into your field spread and they land so close you can see their eyes blinking...

When you get settled in give me a call at the Devils Lake PD. Ask for Capt Barnett...

Living here in Anchorage I think nothing of driving 16 hours north on the Haul Road to go hunt caribou.
    So living in North Dakota, and driving less than 16 hours you can....

Hunt North Dakota.
    Hunt all of Montana for mule deer, whitetail deer, elk, pronghorn, and over-the-counter-tag for bighorn sheep.
    Wyoming for mule deer, whitetail deer, pronghorn, elk.
    South Dakota, Colorado, and Utah are also within that 16 hour driving radious (I think).
    ...and all that midwest whitetail hunting east and southeast of North Dakota.

I'm thinking that by living in North Dakato you will have more hunting opportunities available to you than you will have the time for.
    And of course, you can always stay connected to Alaska through the forums on this site! <wink>

Not to mention bird hunting.

Start looking through the regs for Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, etc. etc.

Good luck in your move and with your new position.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.