Thread: TMA versus DCUA? Which is better?

Default TMA versus DCUA? Which is better?

Lots of posts about TMA sheep. Not like any of us have a choice which tag we get, but are the sheep any bigger in TMA compared to the DCUA next door? It TMA the holy grail tag or is something else? It's all about winning the lottery, but are some lottery "winning tickets" more equal than others?

I'm biased as to having drawn TMA, but I do think it is just a tad cooler than the DCUA. One regret I have is not canceling one of my sheep trips in '08 and helping a good friend with his DCUA tag He was a great partner when I drew TMA and look forward to returning the favor. Hopefully in the near future How many 40+ rams came out of Delta this season? I know of a couple that came from TMA. All in all the sheep tag you get to hold in your hand is the true holy grail tag

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I'm biased as to having drawn TMA, but I do think it is just a tad cooler than the DCUA. One regret I have is not canceling one of my sheep trips in '08 and helping a good friend with his DCUA tag He was a great partner when I drew TMA and look forward to returning the favor. Hopefully in the near future How many 40+ rams came out of Delta this season? I know of a couple that came from TMA. All in all the sheep tag you get to hold in your hand is the true holy grail tag
    Ah I'm crying... huh is this same good "bud"that bailed on a moose hunt... . As far as the question goes that's easy the only place to hunt moose is in unit 13...

Who invited you? Don't you have homework to do? Besides this is a sheep thread. No moose hunters allowed

Which is better?

The one you were drawn for.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Who invited you? Don't you have homework to do? Besides this is a sheep thread. No moose hunters allowed
    Oh I got so emotional about your best sheep hunting buddy post I lost my focus. Yeah I need to go to bed and write my essay tomorrow. Yeah when all the sheep are shot out of Alaska you won't have to worry about these questions anymore.

The best sheep hunting is the Kenai everyone knows that boomers in every draw and easy hiking!

Look at the Past harvest reports....DCUA has produced more rams as far as numbers than TMA, either tag is a good tag, IMO I wouldn't say its the best tag......I never put in for it, I have other preferences.

The bottom line, to these two areas, along with another chugach area is that they are giving out TOO MANY TAGS for these areas. I know many say the area can sustain it, but really its not....I know I am no expert, but I have talked to bios that have done the sheep counts and writing is on the wall.

either one is a good tag....its how much time you have to burn in looking for that exceptional one.

Well, I drew DS204 in 2009 and DS103 in 2010 (both party tags). Had a great time on both hunts. We saw quite a few sheep and no other sheep hunters on either trip. Did see a few moose hunters on the Delta hunt, but they were at least 2 miles away and heading away from us.

I shot a 35" sheep on the Delta tag, and we had a great experience when we got to within about 10 feet of a group of 5 rams! Unfortunately, the largest of that group was about 7/8 curl.

My partner and I had an opportunity on two big sheep on the Tok hunt, but we just couldn't get to where they were. We were able to get to about 170 yards, but it was right above them. They were tucked into a cliff and didn't move for days, so we finally gave up and moved onto another group in a different valley. Got to within about 50 yards on a group of 4 rams, but again, the largest just wasn't quite there.

Having hunted both of them, I would say I would prefer the Tok hunt. But...the Delta hunt does offer quite a bit too. I think the guys up above that say the tag you have is the best one are spot on.

I haven't researched this or anything, but I would have to think that 100-150 tags for each area might be on the high side. But one thing that amazed me when researching this a few years ago is that a huge chunk of these tags go unused and only 1/2 of the guys that hunt it get a sheep.

Whichever of those two tags a person draws is the "best" tag, how can there even be a question about it ?

They have dropped the TMA tags to just 80, 40 apiece though so they may be moving in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Whichever of those two tags a person draws is the "best" tag, how can there even be a question about it ?
    Just splitting the needle, I guess. A man can dream anyway! I agree about the numbers. Seems kind of high putting out 150 tags, but maybe they figure on the lower participation rate.

I've hunted both, ether one is a good hunt, but I would take the TMA tag over the DCUA

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    They have dropped the TMA tags to just 80, 40 apiece though so they may be moving in the right direction.

Nice!..... anything to save our resources and bigger sheep, do you know if they're still giving out 150 tags for DCUA?

I know many are saying some tag holders don't even go or attempt, but fact is they are issuing that many.....hypothetically, what if they all went and all got a ram......it would take 4-5 years to rebound from it...........just My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Well, I drew DS204 in 2009 and DS103 in 2010 (both party tags). Had a great time on both hunts. We saw quite a few sheep and no other sheep hunters on either trip. Did see a few moose hunters on the Delta hunt, but they were at least 2 miles away and heading away from us.

I shot a 35" sheep on the Delta tag, and we had a great experience when we got to within about 10 feet of a group of 5 rams! Unfortunately, the largest of that group was about 7/8 curl.

My partner and I had an opportunity on two big sheep on the Tok hunt, but we just couldn't get to where they were. We were able to get to about 170 yards, but it was right above them. They were tucked into a cliff and didn't move for days, so we finally gave up and moved onto another group in a different valley. Got to within about 50 yards on a group of 4 rams, but again, the largest just wasn't quite there.

Having hunted both of them, I would say I would prefer the Tok hunt. But...the Delta hunt does offer quite a bit too. I think the guys up above that say the tag you have is the best one are spot on.

I haven't researched this or anything, but I would have to think that 100-150 tags for each area might be on the high side. But one thing that amazed me when researching this a few years ago is that a huge chunk of these tags go unused and only 1/2 of the guys that hunt it get a sheep.
    When I was doing my research on the DCUA, out of the 75 tags given out for each hunt (early and late season) over the last several years the average was about 50 tags/hunt used give or take. The thought of drawing one of these tags and then not using it kills me. Barring some catastrophic event in my life, I would never even consider letting one of these tags go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    But one thing that amazed me when researching this a few years ago is that a huge chunk of these tags go unused and only 1/2 of the guys that hunt it get a sheep.
    This wouldn't surprise me in the least. A lot of "sheep hunters" really don't have a clue as to how to hunt them. They seem to think that all they have to do is get up on top of a mountain and the sheep will be running around everywhere. I've seen it happen far too often. I killed a big ram on the 13th day of the season in a small area where the sheep really had nowhere to go. But there were guys all over the top of the mountain and never got him, or the other legal ram that my buddy shot. If guys knew how to hunt sheep, they would hunt a lot harder...

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I would never even consider letting one of these tags go to waste.
    That sure looks like a monster ram in your avatar my friend...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Nice!..... anything to save our resources and bigger sheep, do you know if they're still giving out 150 tags for DCUA?

I know many are saying some tag holders don't even go or attempt, but fact is they are issuing that many.....hypothetically, what if they all went and all got a ram......it would take 4-5 years to rebound from it...........just My opinion.
    The DCUA has been managed since 1971 and there's still great quality sheep in there, 40 years later. If you're equating 150 tags to 150 dead rams each year that's just not the case. When you draw a DCUA tag it comes with a letter explaining that the long term average harvest success is only about 25%. I hunted the DCUA in '09 '10 and '11 and all three times we pulled a dandy ram out, but that's highly unusual. I've talked with many people that have hunted the DCUA and hunted it hard and weren't successful. My opinion, having hunted DCUA multiple times recently, is that it is managed just fine the way it is. There's no reason to cut the number of tags just to try and grow a couple more inches of horn on a few old rams.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That sure looks like a monster ram in your avatar my friend...!!!
    Thanks...He's actually not all that big, that's just the advantage of being a little bitty person.

I've had the good fortune of hunting the DCUA walk-in hunt in 2010 (my buddy's tag), the TMA last year on my tag, and to draw the motorized DCUA tag for this coming fall (I realize how totally spoiled I am, but I don't feel bad in the least ). We pulled a 38.5" from the DCUA in 2010 and I got a 37" from Tok last year. Both areas have good populations of sheep, but Tok obviously has less hunting pressure. It's probably easier to get into a majority of the areas in the DCUA on foot, whereas Tok has some rivers that make foot/ATV access difficult or impossible. As others have said - you can't go wrong with either tag, so just take what you can get, get into great shape, and take advantage of the opportunity.