Thread: World Record with handgun?

Default World Record with handgun?

The brother of a guy I work with took a brown bear (in AK) with a handgun that scored 25 and 9/16, I have heard this is enough to beat the world record with a handgun, is this true?

I didnt know they had a record book just for handgun kills. What would the record system be called?
    Tennessee

A skull that measures a true net, offically scored, 25 9/16" is a large skull for an Alaskan Brown Bear, however by Boone & Crockett recording standards for "gun" (or other methods) taken animals it will not even qualify for the Awards (3-years) Records Book.

Boone & Crockett club, the oldest & most respected conservation organization, who also records antler, horn & skull sizes from North American animals, does not distinguish between "rifle", "pistol", "black powder"...or even "archery" for that matter.
    The minimum entry score for the 3-year awards books, Alaska Brown Bear, is 26", minimum entry score for the All-time records book is 28". The Pope & Young club, who record archery taken animals from North Amercia, has slightly lower minimum entry standards, the copy writed & patened scoring system is the same for both clubs. In other words both clubs use the same system, same methods, for scoring.

There may be some "hand gun" recording organization somewhere that could make claim of this 25 9/16" Br. Bear skull being some type of "record", but I've never heard of them.

For all practical purposes the skull size from the bear your buddy harvested, as reported, sounds like it came from a mature bear. However it is not even close to making the minimum entry score for B&C, therefore could not posibly be a "world record". For that matter, I have personally guided a hunter to a hundgun harvested Brown Bear that had a larger skull than 25 9/16".

SCI has handgun categories for their trophy records, but I don't know what the record brown bear is.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

SCI is what he mentioned and I have seen WR by weapon mentioed many times before, for example I hear my dall guide for 2011 holds the world record for dall with handgun. It takes some research to find out if you have the record but some has too.

Again I have heard all this second hand.

How do they classify a handgun? Does it require it to be a handgun caliber like 44mag, or 480 or whatever in a revlover or auto? It seems that a guy could use one of those single shot "handguns" with a scope that shoots rifle calibers and be pretty deadly out to 300 yds. Seems to me thats a sawed off rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    How do they classify a handgun? Does it require it to be a handgun caliber like 44mag, or 480 or whatever in a revlover or auto? It seems that a guy could use one of those single shot "handguns" with a scope that shoots rifle calibers and be pretty deadly out to 300 yds. Seems to me thats a sawed off rifle.

So with that thought process, I guess a kill with a compound bow shouldn't be in the same "bow" category as a kill with a longbow.........

SCI's handgun category includes all handguns.......single shot "wrist rifles" and unscoped wheel guns are in the same category.

Safari Club International, "SCI", is the largest [pro] hunting organization in the world. They offer a wide variety of club membership aspects to a wide variety of hunters from all over the globe. As with any large organization it is common to have different views & opinions from the different members and/or regional "chapters". No doubt SCI has accomlished many fine tasks in the field of wildlife conservation because of their large membership.

Its been my experince that the SCI recording system for member taken animals is somewhat ambiguous. Over the years there always seems to be a shadow surrounding many SCI scored "trophies" and the validity of these trophies. Reasons vary from animals bread & killed in fenced enclosures, to scoring manipulations, personal ego driven reasons, accuracy, the in-ability to duplicate a score & independently varify, and a variety of other factors that cloud/shadow the integrity of their value "scoring" system in which credit is given to the hunter, not the animal, and not "recorded" for historical conservation purposes of each speices.

Talking lol

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    lol...reminds me of Tread Barta....claims he does it the hard way(traditional) with a long bow....as he gets out of the deisel boat with a guide and a modern back up rifle and wearing gortex and all the latest nylon, tyvek, polyproplyene and other synthetic insulation materials.....wear a fig leaf and skins Tread then paddle your own sealskin kayak...lol....thats the hard way.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tread....he is so full of himself that he is comical. What he does is hard...just not as "PURE AND TRADITIONAL" as he makes it out to be in his fantasy.

I actually find myself rooting for him to succeed.

jedi

I really am not trying to start anything. I was just curious as to what they consider a "handgun" I guess if you hold it in your hand instead of against your shoulder it's a "handgun".