Thread: Over a Week and I'm Still Jacked...!!!

Default Over a Week and I'm Still Jacked...!!!

I don't know about you guys but ever since I drew this coveted DG334 goat tag last Friday I have been like an excited little kid...!!! It's been quite awhile since I've been this excited about a hunt. I guess part of it is that I've killed a number of AK. big game but a billy has eluded me. Been on 3? goat hunts...missed a big one time, couldn't hunt another time because of too much snow, and one time my buddy got one but not me. I guess also because I'm getting older, and really don't know how much longer I'll be able to go after these critters. So as you would imagine it is really something to look forward to.

I've never been one to win raffles, door prizes, or even cake walks for that matter. Last, and only tag I've ever drawn in all these years was a Kenai Mts. caribou. But they give out a lot of permits for that area. But this.......well, I guess I finally just got a glimpse of what it must be like to hit the lottery. I'M LOVIN' IT...!!!

last year I drew a caribou tag, the first "big" thing I have ever won, I was flipping out for about 3 or 4 weeks researching what I could about the hunt, and at night I would oil my gan and clean it just cause I was excited.....and when I actually got hunting, I don't know if it was cause I had been building houses and pushing a plow all summer or if it was the excitement of actually getting to hunt my favorite animal, but I never ran out of energy.....like, you hear those stories of people who get mauled by a bear and they run 5 miles to a road or what ever, well that was me for the whole week I was hunting, never saw much of anything, but the new country and being in the woods and the fact that in unit 13 there is always "1 more hill" to look over, even the walk home wasn't bad.

I hope you love using your goat tag as much as I loved using my 'bou tag, even though I didn't shoot anything, it was hands down my favorite hunt ever.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Good luck getting your goat. I had never been goat hunting prior to last year when I drew DG362. I was able to get a nice Billy and now I cant wait to draw another goat tag.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    last year I drew a caribou tag, the first "big" thing I have ever won, I was flipping out for about 3 or 4 weeks researching what I could about the hunt, and at night I would oil my gan and clean it just cause I was excited.....and when I actually got hunting, I don't know if it was cause I had been building houses and pushing a plow all summer or if it was the excitement of actually getting to hunt my favorite animal, but I never ran out of energy.....like, you hear those stories of people who get mauled by a bear and they run 5 miles to a road or what ever, well that was me for the whole week I was hunting, never saw much of anything, but the new country and being in the woods and the fact that in unit 13 there is always "1 more hill" to look over, even the walk home wasn't bad.

I hope you love using your goat tag as much as I loved using my 'bou tag, even though I didn't shoot anything, it was hands down my favorite hunt ever.
    I'll be 56 this April, so I'll need that kind on energy for sure. Sorry you didn't fill your tag, but like you said, and I'm sure a lot of us feel, just getting out and hunting means so much. Bring home an animal is just a bonus.....

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Good luck getting your goat. I had never been goat hunting prior to last year when I drew DG362. I was able to get a nice Billy and now I cant wait to draw another goat tag.
    Just checked out that area online. Where abouts did you hunt it? Was it a tuff one??? Congrats...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I don't know about you guys but ever since I drew this coveted DG334 goat tag last Friday I have been like an excited little kid...!!! It's been quite awhile since I've been this excited about a hunt. I guess part of it is that I've killed a number of AK. big game but a billy has eluded me. Been on 3? goat hunts...missed a big one time, couldn't hunt another time because of too much snow, and one time my buddy got one but not me. I guess also because I'm getting older, and really don't know how much longer I'll be able to go after these critters. So as you would imagine it is really something to look forward to.

I've never been one to win raffles, door prizes, or even cake walks for that matter. Last, and only tag I've ever drawn in all these years was a Kenai Mts. caribou. But they give out a lot of permits for that area. But this.......well, I guess I finally just got a glimpse of what it must be like to hit the lottery. I'M LOVIN' IT...!!!
    4merguide good luck on your hunt sounds like a blast going up in there

that is an easy day hunt.....just to say it......get up there from either the johnson pass trailhead at the trail lake hatchery, or bushwack it from the jerome lake parking lot.....goats all over up there......lots of bears too.....good luck

Release Lake Trout

Just checked out that area online. Where abouts did you hunt it? Was it a tuff one??? Congrats...!!!
    Flew into upper hazel lake, it didn't kill me, but it was tough, it could have been a lot tougher if it would have rained just a little more, we could barely cross the river every time it rained hard, hip boots would have been a luxury.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    that is an easy day hunt.....just to say it......get up there from either the johnson pass trailhead at the trail lake hatchery, or bushwack it from the jerome lake parking lot.....goats all over up there......lots of bears too.....good luck
    Thanks all you guys....Even today I'm still like a kid waiting on Christmas...!!!

Yeah....helped a buddy kill a goat in there many, MANY moons ago, so pretty much know where to go. BUT.....I'm going to fly it first once or twice to see if I can locate a Boonie, as I know there is probably one or two up there. I hope to spend a little time and see what I can come up with. Want to savor it a bit and not shoot the first billy I see. I'm sure you know what I mean.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    4merguide good luck on your hunt sounds like a blast going up in there
    Thanks Bear...!!!

If you're gonna swing it on a weekend and need a back-packer, PM me. I'll help you out, sounds like fun!

I don't know about you guys but ever since I drew this coveted DG334 goat tag last Friday I have been like an excited little kid...!!!
    I know how you feel. I drew my first goat tag this year and I have been dreaming goat ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I know how you feel. I drew my first goat tag this year and I have been dreaming goat ever since.
    and I'm dreaming of Afognak bear..... with 13 MONTHS to wait!!!

Know just how you feel. Drew a sweet Goat tag as well this year, haven't been able to stop thinking about the hunt that is still probably 7 months away for me. Seeing 40 of them out backcountry skiing yesterday did not help the fever.

My son also drew DG334. This will be his first goat hunt so he is excited! Maybe we will see you scouting this summer.

yeah I drew DG011 (first year its been available so that's really sweet) I think I've seen every you tube video of mountain goat there is! Good luck