Thread: Thats what up!

Default Thats what up!

Got drawn for a caribou tag I forgot I applied for.....I though I only applied for tags in unit 13 (me and pops always do the party tag application for the unit 13 'bou hunts), so when I went through the list of winners after I got back from galena, I didn't even think of looking for one one in 20 A that I applied for, well I didn't get anything, but I wasn't real bummed, and never gave it another thought..... well, Dad came home today and said that somebody at work said he saw my name in the winners, so I was looking at it and sure enough, there it was. DC 827. I wasn't even gonna apply for it but I just hated to see an empty slot on my application so I put it on as 3rd choice, I though I used all my luck last year YEAH BUDDY!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Supporting Member

Congratulations!

So, what's your plan for access?

New day, New luck.

Keep it good if ya can have fun Hunting.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    So, what's your plan for access?
    heck I don't know, I've only ever been there once during day light, and it was when we were driving to nenana a few weeks ago.

I figured I'd hike in somewheres, definatly not gonna get flown out. I talked with vince for just a second earlier and he said something about 4 wheelers. is the controlled use area closed to motor vehicles, I assume? (thats what controlled use, means, right?)
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I want to let it be known that I would rather hike 5-7 miles or why ever or take a wheeler, I heard there aren't very many points to hike in, but I reckon everybody knows that and not many folks will be hiking in, so we will be away from people. if any body has any info on this, that would be great!

Vince is going to be a good source of info. If you can get to the 'bou with a wheeler he will know the way.

I'm sure there are a few four wheeler trails in there...Ferry Trail MA...and the REX River is right there (there might be a trail by that name around the area). Great tag to have, congrats and good luck!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

another thing, Vince said I will go through some sheep territory too, from what little time I researched it that is a HT hunt, what would it take to harvest a sheep while we are up there? would that require a huge detour or is it common to see them?

Next step would be to pull out a map and start looking at your hunt area and checking mileage to get to where you want to be. THEN see if you're able to access areas with multiple species to hunt. The prudent thing to have done is check a map before applying but that's the way it goes. What kept you from applying for 3 of the unit 13 bou hunts?

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Next step would be to pull out a map and start looking at your hunt area and checking mileage to get to where you want to be. THEN see if you're able to access areas with multiple species to hunt. The prudent thing to have done is check a map before applying but that's the way it goes. What kept you from applying for 3 of the unit 13 bou hunts?
    I won one of them last year and dad only liked the area of 2 of the tags in 13, so I figured, heck I'l put 20a on there just for giggles.....I always get mad a folks for applying for tags they know nothing about....I reckon this is a lesson of the humbling kind.....

You will be doing one long walk to get to the caribou and a long walk back to your car with said caribou... Do a search on the hunthese forums you will see, don't know if vince told you but these caribou are up in sheep country.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I won one of them last year and dad only liked the area of 2 of the tags in 13, so I figured, heck I'l put 20a on there just for giggles.....I always get mad a folks for applying for tags they know nothing about....I reckon this is a lesson of the humbling kind.....
    Figured there was a good reason. It's good to be humbled from time to time. Make good on the tag and you will feel much better

Did you consider DC001 in your search for a third choice?

I hope to draw that tag again. Walking in is dependent on how far you want to pack one I think. This one was almost 2000 vertical and 7 miles from the truck...

Attachment 57498

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Figured there was a good reason. It's good to be humbled from time to time. Make good on the tag and you will feel much better

Did you consider DC001 in your search for a third choice?
    is that the one in kenai? i heard that was aircraft only, so that got ruled out real fast i saw the road went through 20A so I figured that would be an alright choice