Thread: Narrow Down my Gear Choice Help

Default Narrow Down my Gear Choice Help

Hi All

I am revamping a few components of my gear for a later summer back pack sheep hunt and I can't make up my mind of how to proceed on just a couple of items. Hoping I could get some advise.
    • Backpack - I'm going with a Barney external frame. I'm leaning towards the 7800 cu Pinnacle Bag as the 6000 cu Hunter bag seems a bit on the small side for a 10 day hunt. Can the Pinnacle bag be cinched down to make it smaller for shorter trips? How do you guys fly with this back pack (not bush planes but commerical flights)?

• I'm after a light synthetic sleeping bag for 3 seasons and small for backpacking. I don't want to use my down bag. I've narrowed it down to two options. From research on this board, it seems like the 20 F North Face Cat's Meow at 2lb, 12 oz is very popular. Does anybody have any experience with the Kifaru Slick bags? The 20 degree bag weighs 2lb 3 oz and the 0 degree bag weighs 2 lb, 14.5 oz. I would like to use either ones these bag down on Kodiak for goats eventually for late season hunts. I also tend to sleep pretty cold. I'm not really concerned about the cost difference between the two bags. Doesn't seem to be much info on the Slick bags and I don't know if that is a good thing or not here.

• What would you say is the average weight of your mountain rifle for back packing? Call me stupid, but mine is at 9.5 lbs, but I have great confidence with it and its treated me well on my hunting trips the past few years. I love it as if it were my baby! I think I would rather pack a few extra pounds with it just for the confidence factor. I'm sure my guide will look at me strange when I show up with a rifle with a 30 inch barrel and a 4-16 scope for a sheep hunt!
    Thanks for the help. This has to be the best source of mountain hunting on the internet. I thought I was a good hunter until I have read some of the stuff and experiences on this site. I have so much more to learn....

The Cats meow is a great bag. I have been through some nasty weather in mine.
    I never head up without it.

If you are confident with that gun and don't have a lighter option then I say it is fine, however, after a goat hunt this past season with a 9lb+ rifle, I purchased a lighter option. I now have a mountain rifle setup that is a over 2 pounds lighter. The bottom line is, a heavy gun will get the job done, and they are used, but IMO, if you have a lighter rifle, or can afford one, and you are confident with it, you will be glad you are packing 2 less pounds in the mountains.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Indeed....I too have lugged the "cannon" up the mountain, but for a long time that's all I had. And I killed 3 rams with it. But I now have a 6-3/4 lb. rifle that feels like I'm lugging 22 around. If you can afford it go light........you'll enjoy it more as long as you feel comfortable with it.......that's the main thing.

Oh and btw......you said you sleep cold. You do cover your head don't you? Makes all the difference in the world.

I have a heavy almost 10 lb ruger 7mm rem mag and lugged that around the mountains. I can't justify spending $1000+ for a rifle/scope combo just to save 2 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Indeed....I too have lugged the "cannon" up the mountain, but for a long time that's all I had. And I killed 3 rams with it. But I now have a 6-3/4 lb. rifle that feels like I'm lugging 22 around. If you can afford it go light........you'll enjoy it more as long as you feel comfortable with it.......that's the main thing.

Oh and btw......you said you sleep cold. You do cover your head don't you? Makes all the difference in the world.
    Yes, I sleep with a watchman's cap....it does help. I'm on the skinny side and always have a tendency to be cold...since day one.

Well, I do have a new 300 wby ultra lightweight in my safe. It shoots well, but i haven't hunted much with it. I could swap out the scope and put like a 40mm 10x max power scope on it and maybe get it down to say 8 lbs or just under? I think its 6 3/4 pounds without a scope. Maybe put on an MPI stock to take some more weight off. Those factory weatherby synthetic stocks are heavy. Ballistically, with 168 grain TTSX at about 3400 fps its about the same as my primary rifle. I just don't like how the barrel heats up so fast on it...

I thought my 30-378 wby at 9.5 lbs was doing well for weight, but admittingly I didn't build that up for back pack sheep hunting. D*mn sheep fever, should have never gone on my first sheep hunt as I'll probably end up being broke and divorced living on the street. I think I'm worse off then a heroin addict. D*mn sheep.

A 6000ci bag is too small....on my hunt last year I used a 6500ci bag and it was stuffed to the gills...air weighs nothing. Go big.

My experience with synthtics is they sleep "colder" than down...I have to go colder rated with synthetic to get the same sleeping warmth.

9.5 lbs and 30" barrel? Wow.... after a week humping that thing up and down the mountains you'll want a lighter one- that's a lot of gun to lug around for 1 shot. Take it if you want to and have confidence in it but not many would if they could help it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Take the gun you shoot best period....you may only get one shot ...so make sure it hits where you want it too. If you have a little concern over you bag you could always throw in a light weight bag liner..
    if you get the 6000cu pack once you start stuffing it you will wish for the 7800.

Quote Originally Posted by jab7275 View Post
    Well, I do have a new 300 wby ultra lightweight in my safe.
    Well it sounds to me like you already have the rifle you would enjoy more on a mountain hunt. UNLESS you're just looking for a "reason" to buy a new gun.......and most of us don't "need" a reason right?...lol If you are in doubt with the WBY, just take some time to shoot it a bit more THEN make your decision. If the barrel heats up too fast, just let it cool a bit before shots, as you sure won't have to worry about that while hunting. As we all know that wby is probably a great gun, and if it pokes a hole where you want it to then why bother getting another gun? Besides, unless you really go custom, (which relates to BIG $$$) how much lighter can you go? But if money is no option, then by all means get what you want....

Well, I do have a new 300 wby ultra lightweight in my safe..... I just don't like how the barrel heats up so fast on it...

D*mn sheep fever, should have never gone on my first sheep hunt as I'll probably end up being broke and divorced living on the street. I think I'm worse off then a heroin addict. D*mn sheep.
    The ULW .300Wby is one of the very best mountain rifles out there...I'd take that one. 6.75 and stick a Leupold fixed 6x (10oz) on it in Talley LWs (2 oz) and you're well under 8 lbs- more like 7.5ish. Compared to your 30-378 it'll feel like it floats. They heat up quick but that's a range issue...not a hunting one.

Yes...sheep fever is destructive. You know you have it when you find yourself explaining to your wife- "this one is 3oz lighter...I know its $300 more expensive but it's 3oz. lighter....no, I don't know why that is...but it's 3oz. lighter."
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hi All
    I'm sure my guide will look at me strange ....
    If this is a guided hunt, then the "Hunter" bag will be plenty big and handles the light loads slightly better. Especially if the guide has a packer. That said, there really isn't that much penalty in using a Pinnacle. I fly with packs all the time on commercial flights and it's no big deal. Just flew with my Pinnacle a couple of weeks ago... snap all the buckles, cinch down the should straps all the way and go.

A sleeping bag I've had good luck with is the Mountain Hardware UltraLamina 15 degree bag. It would be snug for a big guy, but I find it to be a really warm bag.

Yk

Very good point. The more I have been thinking about it, the more I want to take the ULW 300 wby. It shoots wells and I've used it a couple times hunting with success. I'll have to look at glass options for it. I've got S&B glass on it right now, so kind of hard to downgrade. Very nice glass, and rock solid/dependable, but they are built like tanks and not for humping up hills. It kind of defeats the purpose of having an ULW rifle though....

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The ULW .300Wby is one of the very best mountain rifles out there...I'd take that one. 6.75 and stick a Leupold fixed 6x (10oz) on it in Talley LWs (2 oz) and you're well under 8 lbs- more like 7.5ish. Compared to your 30-378 it'll feel like it floats. They heat up quick but that's a range issue...not a hunting one.

Yes...sheep fever is destructive. You know you have it when you find yourself explaining to your wife- "this one is 3oz lighter...I know its $300 more expensive but it's 3oz. lighter....no, I don't know why that is...but it's 3oz. lighter."

Without a doubt take the rifle you like and are confident in. That is a top priority IMO.

Also take along a sleeping bag liner, I LOVE IT. Adds a lot of warmth and helps keep away the clamy feeling and if it is not to cold and you need to unzip the bag it helps regulate the temperature a lot.

To keep it short, I think you made a good choice with the Barney's pack. Stick with a synthetic sleeping bag. I have a pretty light bag. It may not keep me super warm on cold nights, but putting on a few insulating layers helps a bunch, especially a small hat to wear to sleep. As for the gun, there are fairly inexpensive guns out there that are lighter than that. I have a Winchester Model 70 that weighs 7lbs off the rack. Add a scope and it's still under 8lbs. You can get into lighter "stock" guns that will be maybe around 7lbs with a scope...or go drop a few thousand for a really light custom gun. For my money, I'd rather haul and extra 1-2 lbs than fork over a few grand.