Thread: RS2477 Trail Identification

Default RS2477 Trail Identification

Having the pleasure of sitting here in Juneau at the Citizen's Advisory Commission on Federal Areas. (CACFA) Sadly the feds are and will vacate any trails we use to hunt and gather resources unless they are identified as RS2477 in the future. I know this isn't a boating issue per say but if you happen to access a historic trail via water in federal areas you may find it closed in the future especially if you use any motorized method. Pass the word to those who may have an interest if nothing else.

The State of Alaska Public Access Assertion and Defense needs your assistance to help preserve public access on Alaska roads and trails!

Do you have personal knowledge of historical use of any secondary or primitive road or trail in Alaska before 1968? If you have this knowledge, please share that information with us:

Please pass the word and visit this link for details. If the state can't prove historical use the feds could vacate the use of trail in the future.

I don't think the Feds would close some rinky dink trail that is not labled RS2477, most trails are 2477. And if they do they wont put any money into enforcing or building a barrier. And even if they do block it off, people will go around it.

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    I don't think the Feds would close some rinky dink trail that is not labled RS2477, most trails are 2477. And if they do they wont put any money into enforcing or building a barrier. And even if they do block it off, people will go around it.
    I'd suggest looking at what they have done in the Nebesna Area for an idea of what the feds will and are doing. Non-locals "Recreational ORV Users" are now required to stay on designated trails only. Subsistence ORV users, "locals" can travel were they want and are just encouraged to stay on designated trails. As someone from North Pole, you fall in the Recreational User" group. A permit is required by all to establish your user group.

Yes people will go around it until caught, fined, required to leave. It's best to prevent the closures now rather then allow them to close. The only chance you'll have of using any motorized trail in federal areas in the future will possibly be if it's designated as an RS2477 and even then they are closing them. Trails in Nebesna are a prime example.