Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite hoochies?

Default Favorite hoochies?

Howdy, what are some of your favorite hoochies for fishing king and silver salmon? I'm not asking "what works?", I am just curious what some people's favorites are. I've been having fun tying hoochies and getting ready for this summer, and I think it would be interesting to see what others are putting together thinking about spring.

For the Fall in Valdez, medium to darg green. If that doesn't work when I try blue and white of blue and silver.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Howdy, what are some of your favorite hoochies for fishing king and silver salmon? I'm not asking "what works?", I am just curious what some people's favorites are. I've been having fun tying hoochies and getting ready for this summer, and I think it would be interesting to see what others are putting together thinking about spring.
    Well there was this one girl I dated in high school....wait, you meant a different....nevermind

I'd have to say my favorite for silvers is a 4 inch chartruese/lime green

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Well there was this one girl I dated in high school....
    Two, it took two. Now I owe my wife $20!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Two, it took two. Now I owe my wife $20!
    Tell her she's welcome! Now honestly, what were you thinking?????

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Tell her she's welcome! Now honestly, what were you thinking?????
    I noticed nobody's posted pictures of their hoochies, but perhaps this isn't the best forum for that...

Got one of the ex wife but that might get me a restraining order

http://www.silverhorde.com/id156.html

This is a place you can view the colors. My favorites are 0053 0054 20060 and 3084. They are deadly on Coho and Kings as well. Tie them up with a double hook and put a chunk of herring on the front hook. You need to use them behind a flasher. Tie your double hook rig with 50lb mono so you have a stiffer line from the flasher to the hooks so you get some action imparted on the hoochie. Good luck! PM me if i can help

Purple haze!!

For kings in the shallows it black to which I add the silver inserts, down around 60' on bright days it's blue/silver (0095) and down deep its a candlefish pattern (8152 or 0190), all in 6" on this page. Silvers near the top it's green/white, down in the 40-60' depth range it's chartreuse glow (5355) on sunny days or glow orange (2755) on overcast. Both the standard 4 1/4". Deeper than that I usually get them incidental to kings on king gear.

I'm gonna order up some 8" and try those for kings this spring. Early in the season we have kings hit the biggest of whatever gear we have hanging in the water at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    For kings in the shallows it black to which I add the silver inserts, down around 60' on bright days it's blue/silver (0095) and down deep its a candlefish pattern (8152 or 0190), all in 6" on this page. Silvers near the top it's green/white, down in the 40-60' depth range it's chartreuse glow (5355) on sunny days or glow orange (2755) on overcast. Both the standard 4 1/4". Deeper than that I usually get them incidental to kings on king gear.

I'm gonna order up some 8" and try those for kings this spring. Early in the season we have kings hit the biggest of whatever gear we have hanging in the water at the time.
    This is consistant with what I have seen too.

When it's July 1st, opening day of the commercial king opener, and I've got a kelp line full of kings and 2 hours before the first charter boat shows up.. I have o39R and C28cr down at first light. Those catch fish off my boat, at about an equal rate. I can usually clean off a kelp line before those charter boys show up, using those hoochies.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Purple haze!!
    I can't for the life of my catch kings on that color with my boat.

I noticed nobody's posted pictures of their hoochies, but perhaps this isn't the best forum for that...

Here's my pic, I just snapped with some gear I just tied up a few days ago to chase after some spring kings. When money is on the line, this are the two colors I have down. Twinkle skirts down mean nothing either, but I fill have a few that haven't been ripped to shreds. Every boat fishes differently though. I know some boats that kill the kings on spoons, herring, etc. My boat is a 11" flasher/hoochie boat. I can hang with the bait fishermen, and often beat them in the hot bites, as I can keep my gear fishing and get it back down faster.

That looks pretty familiar, 270. The same stuff works in the Sitka area up in the shallows in a lot of the bays. I am surprised you didn't mention the C29CR for the shallows, too. BTW, that 28 catches shallow-water spawner Kings here in the Juneau area when they show. I am looking forwrd to giving them a try when the herring aren't interesting them in the next couple of months.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Really? red and white or green and white behind a grn flasher. Try em all them and see what works for you, that what I did then this guy brought some up that were red and white, they caught fish, then we tried his grn and white and they cuaght fish, so that seems to be the standard.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

270, thanks for the pics, what size and type hooks are you using? I like the ease of fishing baitless also and prefer a single hook, my hottest lure last year was the coyote but herring out performed it for kings.

We once lit 'em up of the west side of vancouver island with the C28cr. The o39r looks interesting as well. I'm a big fan of that shade of green, and subtle variations between it and turquoise and olive. A little chartreuse never hurts either. Looking at that list, I've caught kings up here on OA84R, OA69R, OA39R, and OA12R. I like the UV opaque belly and some flavor of greenish top.

Something that's also worked for us down off vancouver island is the OG168R and its north pacific twin. Angelo's in canada repackages the north pacific version and calls it the "witch doctor".

We've never gotten jack squat on the various "army truck" variants, for one reason or another, even though they follow closely what I like.

Have had good results with twinkle skirts, but I trim away about 80% of the twinkle before using. Also have had luck using small B2 squid of various size as a gumpucky instead of, well, a gumpucky. The UV, pink and chartreuse B2s look pretty cool inside some of the clear and opaque hoochies, and they add some body and profile.

I rig with a 4/0 or 5/0 beaked siwash hook hung on a barrel swivel, and 50 or 60lb leader.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    When it's July 1st, opening day of the commercial king opener, and I've got a kelp line full of kings and 2 hours before the first charter boat shows up.. I have o39R and C28cr down at first light. Those catch fish off my boat, at about an equal rate. I can usually clean off a kelp line before those charter boys show up, using those hoochies.

For most of my sport fishing, I use twin 4/0 hooks, and 30lb test leader. You get a ton of kings on that set up. The action is perfect with a 34" leader and 11" hot spot flasher.. trolled at 2-2.5 mph. Make sure you line up your hooks so the hoochie doesn't spin tho! Spinning hoochies don't get nearly as many bites as one that doesn't spin and just figure 8's behind the flasher.

For commercial, I rig up a single 7/0 and 100lb test. When I'm sport trolling fast along kelp lines, I'll use my commercial rigs because of the heavy line/hooks. Those kings will come out of the kelp and blast those hoochies and you better have a stout leader or you'll get busted off when you have to lean on them to keep them out of the kelp.

A few 100lb leader-7/0 hook victims from last summer. Had to free spool one of them to get it out of the kelp. Gave it line and it swam up to the surface right next to the boat, and I gaffed it. The line was woven all around the kelp too.

This is all great info for someone like me who hasn't ventured into the trolling side of fishing too much. The pictures really helped out and I just finished rigging a few like 270ti posted. So, now that I have them made up, How is everyone storing them? ZipLocks? Or is there a better way to keep them ready to use without getting all tangled up?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast