Thread: Cheapo Models, just a joke on barnacles, or worth a try ??

Default Cheapo Models, just a joke on barnacles, or worth a try ??

I'm looking for a "Get to Shore" rig,...(Raft,.... maybe), for a trip up through SE from Seattle to Kodiak this spring

I don't think I will ever do any float hunting trips up north inland as I am plenty busy hunting and traveling the ocean shores, and can't imagine fly out expenses as something I'll be doing. So, I am not wanting to get one of the more spendy PackRafts I have seen used around the state and on these forums, up into the thousand or so price range

So, "Thinking Budget," can I get away with one of these cheapo models (they sure look that way to me anyway)

Just $250-350 something, with a little set of oars, or would it just be a ridiculously short hull life,

I already own a 12ft Zodiac at home, but was tempted looking at some of the packrafting threads to get one of those nice ones, just that I'll only be using it for paddling to shore in bays, hunting, exploring,
    but I don't want to die in that short stretch either, and sometimes anchoring weather, is pretty windy, beaches always tough in Ak,
    What do you guys know about these ?? also do they steer worth beans, or just a deathtrap waiting to happen ??

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

PS: No, this thread is Not A Joke, either,...I'm almost embarrased to be posting pics of such a thing

but I'll only be using it to get to shore about 5 or 6 times on my way up through SE, so a couple hundred would probably be worth it??

and having it stored below packed up would be nice also,
    I should mention I already have a Kayak, Canoe, Rowing Skiff, and Zodiac at home, so maybe you get my quandry,...??
    and why I don't want to spend any more on something I'll barely use?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

DEATH TRAP!!!!

You get what you pay for, and that ...thing....in the photo would shred on any barnacles/muscles/etc.

I'm wondering, the $300-ish you'd spend on that might foot the freight bill to have one of your better options sent down from Kodiak, eh?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Ha ha, I thought so,
    (but the reviews on REI's website, all say how tough they are,....on Bass lakes,...?? )

Hey Hippie, I posted something in Kayaking also about the sit-on-top Kayaks

Hard shell thing, looks kinda stable, maybe fun for the boys later, in summer,...

Do you know anything about those??

Yes, interesting thought on freight cost, I have mildly considered that, shipping another boat down,
    but figured it would be throwing away money, if I could find something useful, instead,
    of course, this thread start, doesn't look like much thinking going on,...eh?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Don't do it Kodiakrain. Chepo doesn't even begin to describe it. I tried it once in PWS. I was very careful, but despite my best efforts, the first (and only) trip to shore produced a 3 inch gash, and I never let the raft touch the beach. I'd use the sit on top kayak if I were you.

I did see the post Kodiak, and I agree with Frosty, a sit on top hardshell would be much better suited to what you're looking for.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hmmm...I wonder what the costs are of small zodiac-style rafts in Washington compared to Alaska. My brother and I are looking to buy one for our boat in order to get to shore in PWS. Something small, ideally, so that we can easily pull it up on board - maybe 8-10' with a hard floor. If the cost is better down there, maybe we could have you buy it, use it on your way up, then hand it off as you pass through the area. No idea if it would work logistically since you are on your way to Kodiak - just an idea that sprung to mind.

Yeah, do some research Brian, I imagine there would be some savings,

as for me tho, I would be Totally Nervous, using someone's new skiff,...even tho I could take care of it with the best of 'em
    Is a cool idea tho, the logistics might make it tough also

but if you do find a deal on something like that, I might be able to carry it up for ya, even if I buy something else
    I wil probably stop through Seward, and almost for sure, stop in to Cordova, on my way up,
    Would you guys be up in Whittier? In late April, early May
    not sure I'd go further up into the Sound, as I am hoping to find a Bear on POW, so won't be able to hunt there
    hmmmmm, it's worth considering, tho I maybe have hopes to hunt/explore some more on Lower Kenai Pen
    (maybe Homer?)

Hmmm, my plan is fairly lax at this point (heh heh)

Yeah, I know that logistically it might not be feasible. That being said, try to let me know when you'll be passing through Seward. I'd like to run down and buy you lunch, maybe go on a hike in the area to stretch your legs a bit.

Just a thought - Take a look at Maxxon's CS - Series 230 is 7' 6" and at 57 lbs is light. CS-270 is 8' 9", and the CS -300 is 10 ft. comes in at 90 lbs. Get the one with Drop Stich inflatable floor. I know Mark sells them at AR&K that being said Maxxon distribution is based out of WA State and there arer additional sites via the web.

KR, don't rule out Craigslist in Seattle. You might be able to find a quality floater skiff at a great used price.

Hmmm, that's an interesting one there King,...looks like a good one,

thanks for the link up, I'll have to peruse, "the List" a little more

wonder how small something like that would roll up ? Or if there's any resale potential once in AK ?
    I have too many boats as it is, so am leaning toward the smallest thing that will get me and maybe a Blk Bear carcass
    back and forth a few times,

Thanks for the responses guys,

Perhaps some sort of Kayak?

Yeah Lujon, see the thread I started on Sit On Top Kayaks,....over in Kayaking,

Pretty darn interesting, and best part,...is a new type boat I've never even tried yet,...hmmm??

I think I'll go that route, unless I find a nice fglass rowing skiff, those are nice, but kind of a hassle

am kinda burned out on spending any amount of serious money on Fabric Boats, just as the beaches around Kodiak, too HARSH
    (hint:title of this thread is an experience thing, and learned on spendy Zodiacs, and such)