Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Factory Loads for Tikka T3 in .270 WSM

Default Best Factory Loads for Tikka T3 in .270 WSM

I have a new tikka t3 in .270 WSM coming and wanted to get some "opinions" on which factory load works best with the rifle. Any info or advice gladly accepted.

Edit : WOW, sorry, I just noticed you asked for Factory Loads,....whoops,

I left the rest of this post, to "Inspire, as in Tempt," you to try reloading for that caliber, extraordinary options, not found in Factory stuff

I imagine you realize your individual rifle will "Like It's Own," Recipe

but as a .270wsm fan, I really like the 160gr Partition, First, and Foremost
    (ya Gotta work on that one some, it's a WHAM Killer)

and otherwise, the 110 gr superfast's by Barnes, and the 130gr bullets work really well with mine

Have done a lot of work also with 150 gr of every type, and they fly really well, hit hard,

Buy a few boxes of 160 Partitions tho, and use RL-17 Powder First,...

You'll Love That Rifle,....(also, I have a Tikka T3 in .243,...Absolutely Astounded by the Accuracy I get out of that barrel,
    bought the Tikka, soleley on the Excellence I have seen out of my .270short, a Sako 85,)
    those Finlanders, know what they are doing, For Sure

Good Purchase, Have Fun,...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

A tikka is on my wish list because I need a lighter 270wsm. I've had really good performance (win mod 70 270wsm) on black bear, sheep and caribou with the 130grain federal premium barnes.

I have thrown a lot of money away trying to find a rifle that will feed the 270wsm correctly. Tried a Remington 700 TI, Kimber Montana and finally a Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather. The Model 70, with its controlled round feed does cycle them good, and I am happy with the results. With all that said, if I had it to do over I would have just bought a 270 WIN, you don't really gain much in ballistics using the 270WSM instead of the 270 Win and they are so much easier to feed and much cheaper to buy factory stuff.

All my 270WSMs did shoot Federal Premium 130 grain Barnes TSXs good.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That Tikka T3 will cycle those WSM's so fast 'n smooth you will have to take a look to make sure it chambered ! The 270 WSM Kimber Montana I had never missed a lick ? I had a 308 Montana that I had to gently file the "bumps" off the bottom of the feed ramp, then it fed very smoothly - ALL the T3's always pick the next round up, I've 2 308's, a 7mm Mag, have had 2 270 WSM's, 3 friends have 300 WSM's and I "had" a 338 Win Mag (that wouldn't shoot accurately but it always cycled flawlessly) BUT I have to tend to agree with Stid2677 about WSM's in general - the "reason" I've ended up with them is because of the lightweight rifles housing them !

The tikka and it's Sako twin will both flawlessly cycle WSM cartridges just as described above. I literally opened the bolt to double check the first time I chambered a round in mine. They should chamber their t3 UL in 280 AI, now that would be a sick sheep gun for the ovis hunter on a budget!

Almost forgot, mine likes the accubond factory stuff. I can't recall if they were 130's or 140's but they shoot well.

Beretta "could" have a real opportunity there, if they would add some chamberings and correct one or two LITTLE things on the T3 but alas, they seem to "march to the beat of THEIR drum only" and that "customer service" ? just don't get too excited about THAT with anything "Beretta" ! They would rather continue sending "their" TV rep on expensive hunts (but I wish they'd at least take some time to teach him things like ... where the safety button is (and "maybe" a little physical fitness regimen for viewer pleasure)

My Tikka preferred lighter bullets but that's an individual rifle thing.

If you're looking for a good, all around hunting load the Nosler Trophy grade with 140ABs would be very hard to beat and they will likely shoot about as well as anything will- wouldn't hurt to start there.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Cool Actually....

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Edit : WOW, sorry, I just noticed you asked for Factory Loads,....whoops,

I left the rest of this post, to "Inspire, as in Tempt," you to try reloading for that caliber, extraordinary options, not found in Factory stuff

I imagine you realize your individual rifle will "Like It's Own," Recipe

but as a .270wsm fan, I really like the 160gr Partition, First, and Foremost
    (ya Gotta work on that one some, it's a WHAM Killer)

and otherwise, the 110 gr superfast's by Barnes, and the 130gr bullets work really well with mine

Have done a lot of work also with 150 gr of every type, and they fly really well, hit hard,

Buy a few boxes of 160 Partitions tho, and use RL-17 Powder First,...

You'll Love That Rifle,....(also, I have a Tikka T3 in .243,...Absolutely Astounded by the Accuracy I get out of that barrel,
    bought the Tikka, soleley on the Excellence I have seen out of my .270short, a Sako 85,)
    those Finlanders, know what they are doing, For Sure

Good Purchase, Have Fun,...

Actually, Kodiakrain I appreciate the clairvoyance! I am planning on getting started relaoding just waiting to fill my coin jar... =) (Will gladly accept all donated equipment though...lol) so needless to say that is welcome information.

For now I am stuck with 150 gr Winchester Supreme Silver Ballistics, (only cartridge I could find 2 boxes of to sight in with. I prefer Fedral for factory ammo) I am going to have to look online I guess to order rounds. I would prefer a heavier bonded round for larger game but will throw some 130's down it once I get it sighted in and see just what I get from it once it comes in.

I'm pretty excited since I won the rifle from an Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet and everything I have seen online and talked to people about is everyone, with the vary rare so-so response, seems to be convincingly super impressed with both Tikka T3's and also the 270WSM.

Another question I am wondering about is "recoil". Traditonally I have gone with a laminated wood stock in my other rifles so this will be my first synthetic. It seems to me these would be "less forgiving" than the laminated... Any truth behind that?

I put a Limbsaver bolt on pad on my tikka. I never shot it with the factory pad but with the LS it is a kitten.

Might not be everyone's top choice but believe it or not the 130 core lokt shot the best out of my rem 270wsm. 3/4moa.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman from Vegas View Post
    Might not be everyone's top choice but believe it or not the 130 core lokt shot the best out of my rem 270wsm. 3/4moa.

Many years ago I shot a nice 6x6 bull with a 185 gr rem core-lokt. Punched both lungs and watched him stand there for 2 full minutes while my brother held the video camera. Didn't take but a step and I did recover the slug on the opposite rib cage. Was a nice additional trophy nice mushroom too. So I will try them as well but still preffer fedral at this point. Will keep you all posted as to my findings. Hoping the mail man comes today! Really excited to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The tikka and it's Sako twin will both flawlessly cycle WSM cartridges just as described above. I literally opened the bolt to double check the first time I chambered a round in mine. They should chamber their t3 UL in 280 AI, now that would be a sick sheep gun for the ovis hunter on a budget!
    What is the deal with everyone and the 280 AI? I just don't get it. Not harping on your parade, but don't understand the "PULL" for one and have seen quite a few people keep bringing it up?

Right now for a sheep rifle I use a tikka .300 wsm, but my next "sheep" rifle is a .257 weatherby. I'm not sure you can get a flatter shooting rifle than that. And they are light weight. I just don't understand the need for some wildcat cartridge??? Again, not dogging on you, just don't understand the desire for such an odd cartridge.

It has seen a resurgence since Kimber and Nosler are both chambering it and it is now a SAAMI cartridge. Still limited factory AI ammo but you can still shoot regular 280 as well. I plan to do some testing this spring with handloads of several varieties as well as factory AI and standard 280 box ammo. There is plenty of draw for me to a non-belted '06 based cartridge that fits 4 in the mag and shoots high BC bullets at near 7mm WM velocities. I doubt that there is anything it will magically do that you cannot accomplish with your tikka but I like it!

Thumbs up FYI...

I put a Limbsaver bolt on pad on my tikka. I never shot it with the factory pad but with the LS it is a kitten.
    Thanks for the heads up on the LS pad. Two questions 1) Did you use the precise fit or grind to fit & 2) If you used the precise fit which model did you use?

FYI... she's a bit of a thumper with the factory pad but thats after the first box of 150gr winchester supremes now the final fine tuning will begin...=)
    Last edited by ihntelk; 02-28-2012 at 12:59. Reason: Factory Pad info

I used the precise fit. Just bolt it on and go. I don't remember the model number but it listed the T3 right on the package and fit perfectly. Took under 10 minutes to swap it out.

I used the precise fit. Just bolt it on and go. I don't remember the model number but it listed the T3 right on the package and fit perfectly. Took under 10 minutes to swap it out.
    Thanks! Headed to the store now... =)

Thought I would share some pictures of the newest addition to the Family

I am SHOCKED at the difference in recoil after installing the LS pad!!! I literally did not feel anything... Can you say "sold at the grundy county auction!" Thanks for the suggestions LuJon!

Oh and BTW, 150 gr Winchester Silver ballistics 100 yds - 2 shots stacked on top of each other within 1/2 inch 3rd shot stacked but 1/2 Inch above - all 3 with in 1" total... LOVE my new Tikka!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast