Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sit On Top rigs - Real, or Ridiculous ??

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

Nawwwwww, just kidding,....looks like fun tho, eh?
    Ha! You almost had me there. Actually, it's funny that you posted that picture. Looking at your thread last night, my wife was telling me all about the three different boats you posted and how your particular model is used by a lot of people for surfing. She and her good friend own two similar kayaks, though they're kept down in California for trips down to the Sea of Cortez. Fun boats, for sure...

We're planning on getting a couple for playing around near my parents' place on the other side of Mexico if we can find someone locally who sells them.

My wife and I bought a Ocean Kayak Malibu 2xl Angler edition for the listed ocean kayak online price. Free shipping in store for REI was awesome! I totally agree they have a great deal at REI. Enjoy kayaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Looking at your thread last night, my wife was telling me all about the three different boats you posted and how your particular model is used by a lot of people for surfing. She and her good friend own two similar kayaks, though they're kept down in California for trips down to the Sea of Cortez. Fun boats, for sure...

We're planning on getting a couple for playing around near my parents' place on the other side of Mexico if we can find someone locally who sells them.
    Actually, just having done a little paddling with this one, I am really thinking about some surf action,...
    Feels like it is really designed for exactly as that guy is doing in the last photo
    (which I hijacked from the austinkayaks.com website, to be forthright)

I referred to these earlier, as "Glorified Surfboards," and they really do feel like that
    In Ak, I'll just have to use either a wetsuit or kayaking drysuit,
    but this new little boat would, "No Doubt, be a Blast in the Surfzone !!"

If, by the other side of Mexico, you mean the Gulf side, (Geographically Challenged, by "Where the Sea of Cortez is located,...??)
    Imagining that if kept in Calif. that is the Baja side?

this austinkayak company is in Texas, has really good deals on all kinds of boats,...might be something you could arrange that way

dude,....Have Fun You Two, with your new rig, that looks like a good boat also
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    If, by the other side of Mexico, you mean the Gulf side, (Geographically Challenged, by "Where the Sea of Cortez is located,...??)
    Imagining that if kept in Calif. that is the Baja side?
    Sorry about the lack of clarity on that point. The Sea of Cortez is on the inside (east side) of the Baja Peninsula. My wife used to go there multiple times each year, though I've only been down there once. The drug violence has really wreaked havoc on that area, and though the town we go to is only 300 people and peaceful, the route there goes through very sparse desert for ~150 miles in an area that is less than safe. Perhaps in the future...

As for the "other side", my parents have a place south of Cancun on the Yucatan Peninsula (east side - right below Florida, basically). We do a fair bit of scuba diving down there, but it would be nice to have a kayak as well. That's where we're hoping to buy a couple of rigs like yours.

In my Dive Travels, I hadn't yet heard of these rigs being used, to get out to the edge,...
    shows how attuned to the recent "Cool Stuff" I am,....
    I really like the little "Tank Notch," in the stern

Looks like it would be a great rig to use as a Dive Platform, eh?

I've always dove on my own "Good Spot Access Resources," when traveling, so this could really work well there
    In places like the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, and the Hawaiian isles
    I could never justify the expense of chartering a boat, or going out on a boat trip with all the different folks along

So, I just rent a car, drive the beach, find good spots from the local shop guys,
    and then venture out from shore with my vest inflated, doing the long swim out before descent
    Well, this is if you want to get out a ways, beyond the heavily dived areas, right, and sometimes it is quite the swim
    not so wise to push the exhaustion factor, I think

Just snorkel swimming out, has worked ok, but is sometimes a lot of extra work/time, etc.
    The idea of paddling this little rig out, dropping some little tiny anchor,(wouldn't take much more than a Rock to keep this thing around for your dive)
    descending on your anchor line, secure your anchor manually, then having a "decomp. pause" stop, available
    on your anchor line upon return to the surface,... How Nice would that be?

Sounds like a Great Dive Rig, for access to the edge that is a ways off shore, less time/air consumed on the trip out

Do you guys find good reef diving down there, right close in,...?
    I imagine that may be the best diving around that area, but for a place like the Caymans, where there is a phenomenal wall to dive,
    as well as caverns just over the edge of the wall, it's a great advantage to get out there before descent

I'm almost sure this would be really easy to roll into from the water, like getting back into a zodiac type dive boat,

just seems made for that purpose
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I doubt we'd use it much as a dive rig. There is solid reef diving right off the beach, and we have a fiberglass skiff for getting offshore for the deeper dive sites. Ultimately, we don't dive as much as we used to (we used to do two tanks every morning while spearfishing, but the area was changed into a marine park), though we still dive every few days since we have our own gear, compressor, etc. The kayaks would just be for putting around on the water, really. I took my packraft down there a couple of years ago for that purpose, but in the breeze they're the very definition of inefficient for getting anywhere.

We are in the same boat, so to speak. I have been looking at these SOT kayaks a lot closer recently. They seem like they would be perfect to tool around in while the bigger boat is on the hook. I have a couple of yard apes (7 and 9). Could you put a youngster on it with you? Trying to find something some what compact that fits my 6'6", long legged frame is a challenge.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

How are the s.o.t. Kayaks for getting in and out of from an anchored boat without a swim step. Are they stable enough to stand on when afloat?

Kodiakrain: I like the Frenzy you got, perfect! Pete: only in very calm water could you put a kid in front of you, or behind in the tank well (I've done both)....with the age of your monkeys, the Malibu-Two would be better with seating for two, much longer and heavier though. My kids started going out on their own in my kayak from age 6, but only very calm water. Look online at the OK site, I think they list some "people sizes" for their kayaks...I know my scrambler would fit you, but maybe not the Frenzy unless you like your knees real high...Kloshe: I got in and out of my older 22' boat just fine over the side, by holding onto the big boat as I placed my feet into the foot-steps of a SOT then held on with one hand and sat down in the kayak in one quick move, did that for years with no problem, even in a bit of chop; then I got a 26 foot Hewes AK with much higher sides, and, Yep, I found out how cold that AK water is one day with a little chop, when I missed the seat as the kayak moved...well, that boat has an extended transom, and after that I got in and out off the transom platform by sitting on the platform, put my feet in the kayak, then swung my butt in. Reverse that getting out, butt first then feet, no problem. I've since gone to a lightweight aluminum skiff though, getting older and I hope, wiser!

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    We are in the same boat, so to speak. I have been looking at these SOT kayaks a lot closer recently. They seem like they would be perfect to tool around in while the bigger boat is on the hook. I have a couple of yard apes (7 and 9). Could you put a youngster on it with you? Trying to find something some what compact that fits my 6'6", long legged frame is a challenge.
    Don't know about the yard apes but I have 14' Native Watercraft Manta Ray and it is a great boat!! Stable, reasonalby fast and has a very comfortable seat. Also have Native Watercraft Ultimate 12' that is kinda a cross between a canoe and SOT and would work well for this mission. It's very stable as long as you don't let it get sideways to 2' waves while fooling with a fish...won't go over but it can give a little excitment to the trip.

Their seats are wonderful. I use a HH rain suit and hip boots most of the time when it is cold with PFD over the jacket. Hip boots allow you to get in and out in deeper water reducing the bending to get in or out...just sit in the thing and throw your legs inside....reverse to get out in maybe 18" of water...simple.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Guess I really just need to test a couple models out to see if they work for us. I have access to a couple of different ten footish sit in yaks. The kids have used them, but I have not given them a try.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Spoiled one, I think the little 9fter I got might be a little small for taking a kid along,
    I'm thinking my 10yr old could paddle this well by himself, while I am in another Kayak or Canoe with the littler son

but they are Very Stable in concept, so if you went a little larger, maybe 11ft or more, or a dedicated Tandem rig, I bet you'd be really happy with one of the kids along

as to the length, I am 5'11" and am using the second notch back for my feet, so you might fit into a 9fter, with your knees up a bit
    I found my knees were a smidgeon high with feet in second notch back, but a little too extended on the end notch
    if that makes sense

as a 6'6" er, i'd probably look for a little longer boat

and Kloshe, I think CapnRon describes it well, sitting down into this rig from a higher bulwark boat
    I've loaded into normal Ocean Kayak (17ft long but narrow, and hard to stand in, even hanging on to the big boat)
    from very high bulwark Fishing boats, a lot, and you just hang onto the scuppers, or guard rail, and do a quick sit down,
    maybe hang a line down with some knots in it for controlling your descent
    Would be definitely easier into this wide open top "sit on top," than into a cockpit of a Kayak

but as to your question, I don't think you could comfortably stand on top of this, it's too slick in the water,
    so you'd be hanging onto something on the larger boat, til you're sitting

Once down tho, in the seat, it feels real good

Quote Originally Posted by kloshe View Post
    How are the s.o.t. Kayaks for getting in and out of from an anchored boat without a swim step. Are they stable enough to stand on when afloat?
    I have a OK trident, and I tried it a few times, it will definitely take some practice if you plan on staying dry when you do it. If you can figure a way to keep it secured from moving front to back or side to side, they are stable enough to stand on as long as you have decent balance. Maybe an outrigger on there?

Awesome thread. Really enjoying...
    Proud to be an American!

SOTs can be used for pretty much anything and they seem to be indestructible. One of my boats is an Ocean Kayak Malibu II tandem that I've outfitted with a mast step. It's a real workhorse - super stable - and I use it for sailing on lakes, hauling gear and kids, running up to class III rivers, and surfing anything up to chest high waves. If you want a boat strictly for surfing and playing in shorebreak I recommend the Dagger Kaos 10.2. Real fun in the big stuff! I wear a 5/4 wetsuit fall/winter/spring and a 3/2 in the summer. Your butt does get wet, you will get splashed, and you might take a swim. Best to be dressed for it. Took the tandem down the Upper Kenai yesterday from the lake to Jims landing, no real rapids to speak of, but still a beautiful day to be out. Fun quick shots at princess chute and russian river corner, but they didn't last nearly long enough...Passed a brownie on a grassy hummock about a hundred yards upstream from Jims. So, yeah, I'd say try an SOT for anything you want - you might get some funny looks from people trapped inside the box but you won't be disappointed. And you'll get out more than ever!

IMG_1221.jpgIMG_1232.JPG

Default The youngster,...tearing it up with the "Frenzy"

Just thought I'd tag an update report on this thread,
    for those interested in how these work for kids,

I was real interested in how my 10yr old would "Take To," this 9ft Kayak
    so as we're venturing out of the harbor,...

"Here's a good contrast,...In A Land of Big Boats"

and it was "No Time Flat" for him to feel completely comfortable on this boat

I am Completely Impressed...., "for the younger set,..this is the perfect boat for my boy"

Far Exceeded my expectations
    -Super Stable,....
    -Small and Light enough, that he can handle it easily on the beach
    -drags it up across barnacles and rocks, (and I don't have to cringe while he does it,....Tough Hull Material,...)

and it helps,.......a LOT,... when they want to go out Every Day,..., "Come On Dad,...let's go paddling again"
    that, at 40 lbs or so,.....it's really easy to hoist up onto the big boat,
    and all the way up on top of the house for storage

we even set the 5yr old in the "Wheelhouse" for a while,...
    (note: he's still tethered to the dock,...and using one of the "kids don't float loaner life jackets,...not such a great fit)

and he did surprisingly well, for his first time,....even paddled backwards a bit,...and didn't freak me out too much, being squirly

All in All,....This a Great Boat,...much more versatile than I would have imagined

Default The Right, Life Jacket,....all about Fit,...!!

So, after posting that last pic,...I can't leave it at that, but have to add a few of my younger son,
    in "His Own" life jacket

just to make sure no one is thinking I am endorsing poorly fitting life jackets
    It's Such a big deal,...

that last photo of Logan, the 5yr old, in a Huge Fitting jacket, one we got from the box at the top of the ramp
    in the harbor, was taken the first day I got home,

was interesting that the boys both noticed, "These things sure don't fit, like our own"
    so the next day we went out and dug through the storage warehouse to get the ones we bought for the boys

so here's a few shots, story following, for my adamant opinion on why they need to fit well

Notice the "Grab Strap," on the upper back, the neck support part,...
    I had to use that the other day,....Really

after working the boys over about climbing all over the new boat,..."Be Wise Now,..."
    You're Being Careful Up There, Right?"

and plenty of "yeah, Yeah's"
    I was just going down into the engine room, to do some project,...
    when I felt a little uncomfortable,...about something,....

Then I heard a "Splash"
    Sure Enough, Logan took a quick step,...missed it,...and there he was,....Baptised by the Harbor

So, anyway,....those straps work pretty well,...

and the overall fit,...Really Pretty Important,...Glad we invested in Good Stearns Gear, THAT FITS

Whoops, sorry I double posted that pic, too late to Edit, before I noticed it

I should add, it's about 4ft from the Rail of the boat, that he was standing on,...
    to the water line, and he didn't even get his face under the surface,..!!

I think the crotch strap part, as well as the Overall Snug Fit,...worked well there,
    thinking no 5yr old needs to get dunked completely, and am pretty amazed that jacket kept his face that High and Dry
    just the shock of the cold water,...lesson enough for now

He was doing fine down in the water there also, but it was only about 8 seconds, before I was out there,
    and Yarding Him Out

but for my sake, it was nice that strap was on the back there, and well constructed,...
    it was the only thing I could reach without having to get wet myself, or run for some kind of boat hook or Gaff,...

and when the 5yr old is in the water, and soundin' frightened,...
    it's Good to have a well designed system for bringing that to a Good Close Quickly

So, Thumbs Up for Stearns Life Jackets, and taking the time to find good ones that fit,...ya never know
    when you'll really appreciate the opportunity,...

tp,..."Learn An Important Lesson, as Easily as Possible"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12