Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sit On Top rigs - Real, or Ridiculous ??

Default Sit On Top rigs - Real, or Ridiculous ??

I'm taking a 36ft boat up from Seattle to Kodiak this spring, and don't have any "Shore Recon rig," with me.

at home, I already own, an excellent 17ft Kayak, 14ft Canoe, 12ft Fglass rowing skiff, and a 12ft Zodiac,.... and don't want to duplicate something, just for this run

So, I'm in REI, and looking at these pretty stout little "Sit on Top Kayaks"
    Looking around on the web, there's quite a market for them

I'll post a pic below (massive, hope you can see it) and here's the link
    http://www.rei.com/product/830931/em...t-on-top-kayak

Has anyone used one,...in Alaska ?? They look pretty stable, probably some fun to use, in summer

Are they entirely too wet, for cold water use unless in a Drysuit ??

I'm just looking for another interesting boat, versus buying another small boat that I have at home
    and need to get to shore from an anchored fishing boat, throughout SE Alaska

So, it's all flat calm paddling, for this trip,
    have a kayaking Drysuit at home, so this might be fun in the surf later, around Kodiak in summer,...??

Are these just for southern California surf play, or what do you guys think?

my other option is one of the cheap little inflatable rafts, which seem soooo cheap, I can't justify it even tho it would be nice to roll it up and stash below decks, I imagine them taking about one or two landings on
    a barnacle covered beach before they are a constant patch and pump deal
    So, Here one is, about the price range I am in, less than $500 if possible
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

SOTs are fun boats. Much faster than inflatable kayaks, and surprisingly stable. A number of people in AK are using them for near off-shore fishing, and for use in mild mannered rivers. I took one through class III+ whitewater a few times. But they are not as fast as sit-in kayaks and are wetter to ride. Pretty much any wave will create some splash over the bow. A drysuit is not necessary though. Rain pants & boots with elastic around cuffs can work as long as you don't tip the thing over. Depending on where I was going, I would mostly wear the drysuit, but not always.

Thanks Jim,
    that's what I was thinking, sitting in my Grundens Rain Gear, Xtra-tuffs, with rubberbanded legs, I'd be fine

So, with an Excellent Lifejacket of course,...do you think I could pack a Blacktail off the beach,...if it was quartered and stashed on the stern, or between my legs?

This one has 350lb capacity, and I go 190-200, maybe 250 with hunt pack and rifle,...what do ya think?
    This is flat calm Bay action, and I am pretty experienced Kayaker, keep the load strapped down low,...
    have good understanding of Initial and Secondary stability

Looks doable to me, and is just a great size rig to have on board my fishing boat
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I agree with everything Jim told you...with a little to add to him and what you are thinking. I've have had an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT for nearly 20 years....when launching in the surf in Oregon coves I would wear a wet suit, as we sometimes didn't make it through the surf coming and going, and that Oregon water was about as cold as a lot of Alaskan coast in Prince William Sound...where I have been in a couple of times in regular clothes.

This boat is a lot longer than the one in the picture you show, and I would bet a lot more stable. I've fished in it a lot and found that it was nearly impossible to tip sideways except if you turn side to the surf when you are in the breakers near shore...which wouldn't happen if you knew more than I did at the time My Scrambler was designed as a dive boat, and has a well for a tank behind the paddler, which I have used to haul a lot of fish, and I would think a quartered blacktail would be fine there if balanced, it certainly could handle the weight.

I used this kayak for a shore tender in PWS for about 6 years, until I got a new boat and went to an inflatible tender for 2 years, got tired of the bears using it for bubble-gum, then switched to a small aluminum skiff. Only because I got older and was having trouble getting in and out of the kayak. It was great even in a 2' chop. I just wore rain pants like you are considering and stayed dry, except for the time I got in a hurry and missed my timing getting in the kayak, and found out how cold that water really was. Another advantage of a SOT is that while you may end up in the water, you are not under the boat as in a sit-in, and it is easy to flip the kayak uprights while in the water next to it, and then to crawl back in. Also, the Scrambler has scupper holes so any water coming in drains out, except leaves some where you are sitting. But, used as a tender I put the plugs OK sells to plug up the scupper holes and keep the water out, unless you take a wave or splash over the front/sides or it's raining hard. If it did fill, the scuppers are around where you sit, so just pull the plugs and the water drains out except a little where you sit...

So, you might check out Ocean Kayak and look at the Scrambler XT. Easy to paddle, unsinkable, and mine had two storage compartments covered with a rubber seal that you could load a lot into if needed. I had it overnight on the beach for years, and the bears never bothered to chew it like the inflatable, for some reason, and if they had tried, it was pretty tough and I think all a blackie could do was scratch it.

Thumbs up Basic Model Sit-On-Top Hardshell Kayaks by Emotion and Others...

I'd see you getting good use on this kind of boat for intended purposes you related... plus some utility ya may not have even considered yet. There are several other players that make similar, to more specific purpose boats, Hybrids, to the more elaborate accessory featured fishing designs. Hard to go wrong with any or anything in the $300-$400. Most basic sit-on-top kayaks are forgiving/stable and maintenance free. The particular Emotion boat you've listed is slow/sluggish with respect to overall Kayak performance (beginner stability and lacking efficiency being the factors) and is a wetter than average sit-on-top given geometry. I'd want a dry-suit in colder weather --- colder water combinations or where exposure could become an issue both in and out of the drink. Distances and wind along with potential exposure should be factored in no matter what the venture from my perspective - particularly solo.

Investment-wise... retail sale on these is slow. Often given away at near wholesale by the end of every season. End of season, off season, even a year or two old unchanged models are the way to make a smart purchase.

+1 Interesting thread.

...may throw a couple of these on top the camper for some PWS action next Summer...
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    There are several other players that make similar, to more specific purpose boats, Hybrids, to the more elaborate accessory featured fishing designs. Hard to go wrong with any or anything in the $300-$400. Most basic sit-on-top kayaks are forgiving/stable and maintenance free. The particular Emotion boat you've listed is slow/sluggish with respect to overall Kayak performance (beginner stability and lacking efficiency being the factors) and is a wetter than average sit-on-top given geometry..
    Thanks Brian,
    can you tell me more about the performance, stability, efficiency, factors you've mentioned ?

For example, what would you guys recommend for the length needed for good speed/efficiency ?

also, most importantly in my case, would be how large do you need to go, or what designs are there that remain drier than the rest

I'm not so concerned about it being a "Hot Handler" as it will be just cruising around bays, doing a little hunting maybe, getting to shore and back, just for fun, but I won't be doing any "Voyaging" in this boat for sure

I'll definitely be getting my boys interested, that's one of the motivators, they are waterboys already, thinking they might have fun with this, so with that in mind,...

the Larger Heavier boats, not necessarily what I need,....if it's mass for speed or carrying capacity,..this one I copied over above does what I need, 50 some pounds to the carrying arm, 350lb weight capacity

BUT, if it's a dog in the water, or ships more water over onto my legs, or bagged lunch,....that's something I'd go shopping further to avoid

I am not in a big budget mood tho, spending like Crazy on this bigger boat,...
    So, unfortunately, I just can't justify anything over $500, and it looks to me like just about anything bigger, faster, dryer than this one, is way up into $800-1200

Any Tips ? If I had time to wait for the offseason, I'd do that, (hoping this is still offseason to some degree)
    am searching the Craiglists and other places, but this one above is affordable new,...but how much am I compromising?

Thanks for the responses, any more scoops on where to find a good one, or nicer design than this one,
    in my limited price range,...Greatly Appreciated

Default Maybe This One,...??

Well, here I go, stretching my price "Limit".....

what do you guys think of this one, for better performance ??

just a little more, $580
    reads a bit better on the reviews, etc.

http://www.rei.com/product/817758/oc...t-on-top-kayak

If you're looking at this at REI, there is little risk in buying it and trying it out in the local waters. If it seems like a good boat for your desires, keep it. If not, REI has a bulletproof return policy. Bring it back and get a full refund - no worries if it's been used.

Good Idea Brian,

I think I knew that,....heh heh but have never done it yet,....

that's my main hesitation, wondering what they ride like,

Thanks

I have been using a Wilderness systems 160I for a couple years here on Kodiak. I mostly use it for duck hunting out in the bays, gets me to the small islands and away from the rest of the hunters.

The 350lb weight limit is pretty easy to hit if you think about it. I know I am close with all my gear and decoys. I would also recommend a dry suit, if you do take a dip your chances are much better with one on. Mine is all set to fish, or spearfish as well, depth finder and rod holders. I may sell this one before next season as I am building a duck boat, not sure yet.

When I did my research for exactly what you are looking for the WS is what I came to. good payload, fast and stable. Look at some of the fishing kayaks as they are designed to haul gear and fill the utility role well. I also looked at the Ocean kayak trident. Save a couple extra bucks and get a good boat, its a big ocean.

Kodiakrain...I like that Ocean Kayak you found, and maybe that's at least partly because I've sure been happy with mine of that brand, but that is a new model to me, I've been in 3-4 of their SOT kayaks and liked them all; One thing you might consider, I got my Scrambler XT for 1/2 price because it was a cosmetic factory blemish, and you can check with the factory and see if they have any, and they will put it in with a dealer's order in AK (if such exists...). I looked at OK's website, the Mysto would do what you want, but for about $50 more, you can get the Scrambler 11, it will glide much better, weighs about 3 lbs more but with 25lb# more carrying capacity, molded in seat you don't have to worry about when you are slinging it on top, built in PADDLE KEEPERS and other features. It's just like the one I have except I have the big oval storage area in the front, which is optional, you can see the molded plastic oval in the online picture, for storage that is a hole with a rubber fitted cover...WOW, the prices are about 1/2 now as they were 20 years ago when I got mine...so the $500 price tag on this looks real good to me, they were $1000 not that long ago, lots of competition now! Both the Mysto and the Scrambler have a shaped bottom and almost "outrigger" gunnels that will make them glide well in almost any water condition and be very stable. The Mysto would be easier to manuver when playing in the surf, but I think the longer scrambler would glide better, carry more weight, track better in the wind, and another thing to think about between the two is how long your roof or rack is, one or the other might be too long or too short to fit well...I have drug (dragged?) mine over the rocks for many years and while it has a few scratches, it has been indestructible. Easy for one guy to put on top too!

I once read about a shark attempting to take a deer from a guy in a Kayak. I had never thought about that until I read that post.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If you've ever been harrassed by a, "Big 'ole Buck," Sealion,....

Now, that's a reality to consider, sitting on top of a glorified surfboard
    with bloody carcass on board

I've had them literally come on board a loaded down fishing boat, laying at the dock,
    while unloading, when a lot of fish are tossed out of the hold, to lay on deck for a bit,
    while the unloaders toss them into a brailer,...

Those brave ones, the Lions who know they can't be shot, or harassed back, and that there is certain payday waiting up there,
    will launch themselves right up over the rail, several feet off the waterline, just for scraps and even entire fish,
    if they think they can get one

It's pretty intimidating to see, and they get downright aggressive,....

Paddling a sit-on-top kayak, with anything edible on board across Kodiak Harbor,.....

That,.....Would be Crazy

I don't even think I'd do it with a PBJ in a paper bag, bungied down on your backdeck there,
    heh heh, no joke tho
    the SeaLion Skull, is almost an exact duplicate of a Large Black Bear,........ "Nice Teeth"

and then, the thought of a Salmon Shark, (close relative to the renowned Mako Shark as I hear it,...)
    gettin' a whiff of blood from your wake,
    as they are caught up in the chase,.....in a fury of Amped Up Frustration, their prey,...the "Bullet Speed," Salmon
    Hmmmmm,....

So Interesting,...being Alaskan

Back to subject at hand,... after a healthy bit of "Risk Factor" discussion,

I appreciate all the info here, am trying to resist increasing my price limit,
    tho I love to hear all the opinions out there on size/length vs stability/tracking/handling etc.

Is a big factor, all that, so tell me more, if you know it,...
    tho I may stick with a smaller one, for price, I'm also thinking the boys ages 5, and10 at this point,
    they probably will be using it more than myself, shortly, so that factors in to going smaller, or more stable than fast

These boats sure are looking good tho, wouldn't have thought it, til doing more reading on 'em
    and tough,...

and we all know that's a huge deal on the beaches of AK

How many folks have looked back down toward the beach, from a ridge top,
    as you climb away from your, "Awesome Inflatable," to do a little hunting or exploring

and wondered,....maybe even prayed like crazy,...
    "No,.... Rubber Snacking Bears, wandering the beaches today please,....???"

(of course, you have already emptied your bladder all around the thing,...hoping it doesn't infuriate the darn things)
    Shoot, I even go to the trouble of tying my paddles firmly to the boat,
    (canoe, or Zodiac,...never could completely rely on outboard engines )

just at the thought of either my salty hand prints,
    or the seeming playfulness, of those shiny sticks,
    without which,..... I am suiting up in a survival suit, to swim my way home,...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks Brian,
    can you tell me more about the performance, stability, efficiency, factors you've mentioned ?

For example, what would you guys recommend for the length needed for good speed/efficiency ?

also, most importantly in my case, would be how large do you need to go, or what designs are there that remain drier than the rest

I'm not so concerned about it being a "Hot Handler" as it will be just cruising around bays, doing a little hunting maybe, getting to shore and back, just for fun, but I won't be doing any "Voyaging" in this boat for sure

I'll definitely be getting my boys interested, that's one of the motivators, they are waterboys already, thinking they might have fun with this, so with that in mind,...

the Larger Heavier boats, not necessarily what I need,....if it's mass for speed or carrying capacity,..this one I copied over above does what I need, 50 some pounds to the carrying arm, 350lb weight capacity

BUT, if it's a dog in the water, or ships more water over onto my legs, or bagged lunch,....that's something I'd go shopping further to avoid

I am not in a big budget mood tho, spending like Crazy on this bigger boat,...
    So, unfortunately, I just can't justify anything over $500, and it looks to me like just about anything bigger, faster, dryer than this one, is way up into $800-1200

Any Tips ? If I had time to wait for the offseason, I'd do that, (hoping this is still offseason to some degree)
    am searching the Craiglists and other places, but this one above is affordable new,...but how much am I compromising?

Thanks for the responses, any more scoops on where to find a good one, or nicer design than this one,
    in my limited price range,...Greatly Appreciated
    To answer your questions... and a few things to consider.

When it comes to overall paddling characteristics many "user-friendly" sit on tops are divided into several categories (and sub-categorization). In easiest terms, this translates to a lot of makes/models/designs/dimensions etc., and that one particular or several boats will fit your uses better that others.

As I look at your near and into the future more likely needs; I'll namely describe that up from Washington usage as 75% ship-to shore with 25% close distance, less-demanding waters for exploratory. Future use may look a bit more like 20% ship-to-shore, 30% short distance protected waters, 10% fishing, 10% hunting, 10% having others use it, and 20% as just having one. Going by this menu of sorts... you'll arrive at a reasonably good personal choice --- seeing there is no one kayak great for everything.

Price-point is of importance to you, yet then again ya don't run out to buy one of these all too often (unless you are a boat shop - lol
    ). I think it is important to note: Hear in Alaska it is wise to attach the cost of a dry-suit and above the average Type III PFD to a comprehensive sit-on-top kayak package. To mention generally the older we get the more susceptible we are to cold water immersion/exposure problems health-risk-wise.

In you most recent inquiry --- The Ocean Kayak company makes good sit-on-top kayaks.

On to the main categories I think of interest:
    1.) User-friendly Recreational - simple, forgiving/stable, easy to paddle, on slow side of efficiency, entry-level, lower-cost.
    This is the majority of the <$700 variety like the Emotion in your first post.
    2.) Fishing - many of #1's attributes, often accessorized, likely will cost more.
    3.) Day touring - Versatile, yet often less stable due to increased speed, tracking water/wind, and overall efficiency, plus dryer and can be just shy of simplified expedition sea-kayaks for open waters.

All things considered --- I honestly feel your best fit is the Day-touring kayak type with an ample cockpit for easy entry and exit vs. completely open sit-on-tops. Mainly my reasoning being versatility, more secure gear stowage, warmer/dryer, with much better tracking in winds, waves, or currents. Something like this
    http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation_touring/cayuga_110.html

If you said fishing and hunting were 50/50%, then the fishing-type would be more in line with sporting activities.

Paddling.net has a review section which you may find useful: http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/.

I didn't look for any of the models you have listed. If you have any independent kayak shops near you, see if they will allow you to "demo" a boat, or rent one before you buy it. Kayaks are kind of like shoes, in that kayaks "fit" everybody differently. I have hated every Emotion SOT I've tried.

If you are patient and vigilant, you should be able to find the boat you are looking for on the used market for 50-75% of retail. Austin Canoe and Kayak occasionally has used boats/trade-ins for sale, and their shipping is reasonable. www.austinkayak.com

Thanks Redfish, I had recently ran into the Austinkayak site, they really do offer good prices, shipping deals etc.
    from my internet searching, I'd recommend that site to anyone seriously looking for a bargain in a new boat

Unfortunately in my current situation, I don't have time to wait for deals,

I decided, after a lot of looking, to grab one I found at REI in Seattle,
    the Ocean Kayaks, "Frenzy," a 9ft, kinda, "stable over sporty," model
    has a real nice hull design tho, much better than the Emotion, in my opinion,not quite as Hot as the Mysto but $100 cheaper too

Thinking I can return it to them if it is "Ridiculous" but after plenty of research, I think the Ocean Kayak company is building pretty impressive boats,

and I'm going for one my boys can appreciate, not be spooked by, (they're 5&10 yrs),
    so want to be careful with them at this point, getting dunked even in Kodiak Harbor is enough of a bummer,...
    that I'll lean more on the stable side, even a bit doggy to avoid that

I also have space considerations on the big boat, (only 36ft long, not any extra room on deck there)
    almost my main issue actually, preventing my buying a bigger boat, so finding a 9fter, built well,....pretty perfect for my situation

So anyway, have had good talks with the REI experienced guys. got a chance to sit in one, just in the warehouse, hoist it around some,.....really impressed,
    noticed things like the Scuba Tank mount on the stern, something I'll definitely use

So it's outside, strapped onto my car as I write, free shipping to Port Townsend, was a roll of gangion twine, couple foam pads
    driving it to the harbor for a splash tomorrow morning

Got a fairly good paddle and seat. thrown into the deal, no tax for "Being Alaskan," and I'm out of there for $459

I'll let you guys know how it turns out

Default First Cruise Report

Well, I got the new rig over from Seattle, was pretty cool hoisting it up onto the little car by myself,...
    no fancy loading wheels on the spendy roof rack,...don't have them anyway,....heh heh,

but at Thirty-some pounds,...is amazingly light for "No Spinal Cord Threat," Loading.

And, for scale,..here's a shot of it loaded,...on a really small car,....this is a Tiny Boat
    and the "Big Boat," in the background,...itself, only 36ft, hence my main reasoning for,
    "As Small As I Can Go," purchase mentality

So, next morn, I pack it down the ramp in harbor,....this is Port Townsend, WA
    doing a LOT of shipyard time this winter, this is my "Shore Recon Rig," for the run up north this spring

The Tiniest boat I've ever been in,...for sure
    so, several of these pics are for scale,.....
    "Like a lot of boats,...always looks smaller,..when you see the waves off the bow,.."

This thing blew me away tho, after adjusting for the fact that the water was only inches from my feet in front,...

It was amazingly stable, tried to lean it, too far,... while holding on to the dock,....y'kno capsize expectancy factor,...
    was really near impossible,...like you'd really have to over-react to get it upside down.

I packed a GPS along, for some stats,...and it was pretty hard to Make Speedy,...could only get 4.7 mph,...
    and that was really thrashing away at it, (no I'm not a newbie, was paddling well, trying for speed/efficiency, it just is not going to match my 17ft Mariner XL,...)
    but speed was not my goal,...and stability, Really Was Happening

I averaged 3mph, just casually cruising, you know, the gaze around a lot, dip the paddles lightly, and just keep 'em going,...a drift now and then,....was easy and relaxing,....and felt fast enough

As a "Get to Shore rig for a Commercial Fishing Operation,....when you are anchored up, wanting to get to the beach, it is always because of weather out on the Grounds,....in other words,...It's Wiiiinnndy !!
    So, factors like low windage profile, ease of reboarding if capsized,....just what I was looking for

It is also, surreally tough, no doubt, the "Bear Chew Toy," factor,...
    a very real consideration with all Alaskan Ocean Shore Access rigs,..will not be a problem with this one,
    unless they just decide to carry it away, for fun,....
    would not be out of reason,.....Darn, I just now thought of that
    (guess heavy "Tie it to the Alders," gear may be a plan)

It is wet,...as in,...you could not wear Levis, jump in for an evening paddle,...
    Instantly wet, even inside the harbor,....through the scupper holes, (which can be plugged I guess) but, as I think back,
    about how many times I jump in any shore skiff without raingear pants on,...
    as in, Never,... this really should not be a problem

Here's some more scale,....

Trying to think of all a potential buyer might be interested in
    all I can say is, "That "Tiny, 9ft long, Ocean Kayaks, Frenzy,...." is definitely
    1) "Tough, as All Get Out"
    2)"Light enough to pack through a long airport terminal,....really"
    3)"Safe enough, you'd have to really freak out to die off one of these,...(which I know does not preclude a lot of folks)
    4) "Wisdom Motivating,... cause, You'll definitely wear your life jacket,...no matter how sunny it is,...."(which is always good, right ??)

There it is, If I think of anything else, I'll post it up,...Overall, I'm Pretty Jacked Up on this new boat

Default Another tip, in the shopping

Since we had mentioned a website earlier, that has really good prices, lots of great customer reviews, etc.....

thought I should mention, that I almost bought thru them,....until I read all the details,
    considered the shipping expense, etc.

a big one was the REI boat came, (for $459) with a seat and paddle,
    it's not a stunning paddle, but good enough to start off or for smaller kids to use,
    the seat, is an Absolute Essential, and really is a nice one,

the other boat, (listed at $389) was just that, a hull with handles,...

I barely noticed while reading the customer reviews, they were mentioning the type seats you could buy for it,
    seemed to make a big deal on the "it has handles for carrying."

So, considering the cost of a paddle (budget model $60, most nice ones run into $120, or a lot higher, when you realize how much paddle construction matters,...)
    and seat, no idea the cost, but I bet it's $50 at least
    and shipping, we all know how that can get out of control,...
    I "got blessed," in noticing all the details, while online shopping

Feel like I'm really fortunate to have found the REI version (only boat they sell, where they include seat and paddle)

Anyway, something to watch for, made my purchase quite a deal,
    and I believe REI will ship free to their stores, so a good deal for Alaskans, the shipping of a near 40lb boat, big on volume,...would be a large $$ factor

so,..... on my second day out, here I was,.....

Nawwwwww, just kidding,....looks like fun tho, eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast