Thread: New Eyes For my M48 TGR 7mm-08 :)

Default New Eyes For my M48 TGR 7mm-08 :)

New Eyes For My M48 TGR 7mm-08

After much thought and hunting with both a variable and fixed rifle scope this season, I have decided to opt for the Leupold VX II 6x36mm LR Duplex scope. When I consider the spot and stalk hunting I do every year out west and having to hump up and down those mountains I want a light, simple and uncomplicated scope that will allow me (due to long eye relief and low mounting) to quickly acquire my target out to 500yds. It is an imperative that it does not upset but fits the balance point of my M48 TGR while looking good at the same time. I believe the above mentioned scope will more that meet my criteria. Plus it will work nicely in a tree stand and out of a shooting house, allowing me to make quick shots on gas lines down here in south Mississippi and Louisiana.

SPECS:
    Length (A) 11.4 in
    Tube Length (B) 5.9 in
    (C) 2.1 in
    (D) 2.7 in
    Eyepiece Length (E) 2.4 in
    Objective Length (F) 3.0 in
    Objective Diameter (G) 1.7 in
    Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.6 in
    Tube Diameter (I) 1.0 in
    Actual Magnification 5.9
    FOV @ 100 yds (ft) 17.7
    FOV @ 100 m (m) 5.9
    Eye Relief (in) 4.3
    Eye Relief (mm) 109
    Obj. Clear Aperture 1.4 in / 36 mm
    Weight 10.0 oz / 284 g
    Elevation Adj. Range (MOA) 64
    Windage Adj. Range (MOA) 64
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My 140gr load that is between 2850 and 2900fps will work with the dots and I don't have to worry about turning the power ring up to max to use the dots. The fixed 6x makes it fast and simple.

I forgot to mention that I shot a deer in Arizona at 618yds using an LR duplex in a 3.5-10x40mm VXIII on top of a Ruger #1 in 300Wby using a 165gr Accubond, so the LR's will work if you get the ballistics to match the dots.

Also, the 10oz weight, low profile and great eye relief is icing on the cake. I took a coyote at 426yds using a fixed 6x scope some years back and this Fixed Leupold scope is brighter and has much more eye relief than that scope did.

This one will be perfect for deer size game on my 7mm-08 and very fast in acquiring my target.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Sounds like a sweet set up.

I have that same scope on my 264 win mag, I haven't killed anything since it has been on there, but they are a darn nice scope.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Yes, I am looking so forward to using this in the field during hunting season, especially when I am going up and down mountains and in and out of canyons when spotting and stalking, and when I have to shoot from a tree stand. My rifle will weigh with mounts, rings and scope 7.5 pounds and will be so easy to handle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Should be a great combo BT, heck I probably use the 5x - 6x setting on most of my variables the most anyway so it sure will make it simpler! Bravo!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Should be a great combo BT, heck I probably use the 5x - 6x setting on most of my variables the most anyway so it sure will make it simpler! Bravo!

Thanks Smokey, I meant to post FX II 6x36mm LR Duplex not VX II
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BT, I have a delima - I bought a Browing XBolt SS 308 last fall and they come with 30mm Talley rings. I was going to top it off with a Leupy 2 x 7 x 33 R scope with the new illuminated red dot - looks cool and should be a plus for aging eyes. The delima is I don't know if I will really get to hunt with this gun ever as health issues mount - and I have several nice Leupolds in 1in sitting around drawing dust - so to fork out another $400 bucks for a 30mm is making me squirm since I could buy a set of 1in Talleys and be good to go. It would make a great lightweight pkg at about 7lbs though!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    BT, I have a delima - I bought a Browing XBolt SS 308 last fall and they come with 30mm Talley rings. I was going to top it off with a Leupy 2 x 7 x 33 R scope with the new illuminated red dot - looks cool and should be a plus for aging eyes. The delima is I don't know if I will really get to hunt with this gun ever as health issues mount - and I have several nice Leupolds in 1in sitting around drawing dust - so to fork out another $400 bucks for a 30mm is making me squirm since I could buy a set of 1in Talleys and be good to go. It would make a great lightweight pkg at about 7lbs though!!!
    Smokey, sorry about the mounting health issues and I will keep you in my prayers concerning that. Hey, buy the 1" Talleys and you would truly be good to go, and a light rig is so nice to carry in the field.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Slingshots 1.jpgSpeaking of "Light rigs" BT - I figured it was time to arm the 3 and 5 yr old grandsons! Last week they came up to my farm and we went to the woods for a weinie roast and we climbed hills, looked at deer poop, inspected beaver cuttings etc and the youngest carried a stick all the time in case he saw a bear! LOL So, I went to work this week whittling some slingshots! I better get a window company in my speed dial ya reckon?
    Slingshot 2.jpg

Smokey, I love it, that is cool. That actually looks good man. Nothing like grand kids and sling shots, and that is a light carry for the field
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Total weight is 7.8 oz

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Pretty sweet rig BT!

thanks Smokey
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Truly some calendar shots beartooth. Got me droolin' :P

Here are some more for fun

By far my pride and joy and the best shooting hunting rifle I have ever owned and I have owned some that really shoot well. My M48 TGR in 7mm-08 is the perfect mountain rifle at 7 pounds 8 ozs including bases, rings and scope.

img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u245/mhsp68/b9c81b1c.jpg[/img]

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS