Thread: DG363 Port Dick Goat Info Request

Default DG363 Port Dick Goat Info Request

After about 15 years just got pulled for DG363. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this area? Access? Usual goat locations? Duration of successful hunt? Best time to go during the Aug 10 - Oct 15 window?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I understand best access is by float plane or boat along West Arm or Taylor Bay? Is access from Tutka Bay a viable option? I am told that atving in on the old logging roads from Jakolof Bay is not a good option. How long should I plan the hunt for? Camp on beach or plan for spike camp?

Any information that anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

portdick 001.jpg

It was a long time ago, over twenty years for sure but we drew Port Dick goats one year and flew with Homer Air to that un-named lake in DG363. At least it didn't have a name back then unsure about now.
    http://homerair.com/FlightServices/t...1/Default.aspx

We set up a base camp by that lake. On top we set up a spike camp and stayed the trip up there as after we took the two billies we stuck them in the snow since it was warm and sunny until it was time to go back down and meet the air service providers as scheduled. Bottom line, yes this was a good way to do this hunt but I am certain there are other ways too.

We saw no other people, no other foot prints in the snow patches.

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

I believe the lake that you have circled is called Port Dick Lake. Its a narrow lake that some of the pilots dont like landing on due to the winds. I was told that if they put you in there, they might not be able to get you out. If you go draw a line at about 2 Oclock where you have the goats circled, that is Shelter Bay and there used to be a fairly easy trail there that will take you up to the alpine where you should start seeing goats. The only hard spot was alot of blowdowns from a wind shear. Lots of bears, blueberries and drinking water in the alpine. If you get dropped of in the salt, bring a pole to get some salmon while waiting for pick-up.

Weather is a big factor. Two years ago I drew this tag on a party permit. I have a place in Seldovia. Every weekend we were down in Seldovia we would try to get over and scope out the area to get an idea of where the goats were and how to best access them. We had awful luck that summer and early fall with weather. It never worked out where we had good enough weather on the days we wanted to go look. If I remember right there were over six different weekends that we never got a chance to look. Luck would have it, we drew again this year. So hopefully the weather will cooperate this year.