Thread: wood gassifier?

Default wood gassifier?

Has any one tried to make a wood gassifier? I think I am going to try to build one and test it out on an old truck. I was just wondering if any one out there has tried this and if so what they thought.

I bought some blueprints for one last year; it's a fairly convoluted mechanism, has to be flushed with water daily, and the gas as I understand it is quite volatile, i.e. exploding engines are not uncommon. I'm scrapping the idea for now. There's a member on here, henry2 i believe, who uses a commercially produced unit. The thread is on the cabin forum I think.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Thank you, I found the thread.
    I found a manual on how to build one and size it to the approprate size engine. I have an old beater truck that hasn't been used in years ( but still runs) that I figured I'd test it on. It looks like one can be build with a couple metal drums or trash cans, a steel colinder and a handfull of plumbing parts. The hard part looks like figuring out the starting blower.

Take lots of pictures please! I'm very interested in this technology for production of electricity, but my mechanical skills are pretty weak, or maybe I just don't have the patience?
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Will do.
    I'll post when I get it built. I probably won't get it finished till this summer.

Back in the 70s Mother Earth News magazine (before they turned all environmental) had a truck and a gen-plant so did a lot of articles on it as well as selling plans. I bought the plans (still got them someplace) and converted a 61 Chevy pickup, I bet they still sells the plans if they are still around. It worked but had no power and was a maintenance nightmare like you wouldn’t believe so I converted it back to gas.

The wood gas is far less volatile than gasoline vapor, don’t worry about blowing anything up. Worry about getting it thick enough to light under pressure with a spark inside the motor yet clean enough that the plugs don’t gum up in 20 minutes. For this you need a substantial filter that’s easy to clean because you will be cleaning it a lot. I’d not bother with it for a vehicle again, not at all worth the trouble, I‘d rather build a still and run alcohol. But I would do wood gasification for a gen-plant to charge batters at a remote cabin where I could plan on when to run it and not need to make it fit on wheels . . . and use the waste heat to heat water for home heat in winter.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I was sent plans for one like last week but for some reason I can't find your email addy as soon as I do I will send you the file
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Yes, Mother earth news sells plans for $15.00. However you can get plans for free as well. FEMA actually put out a publication in the 80's detailing how to build a simple wood gasifier during a fuel crisis. It has pretty good detail on how to build and operate the gasifier. With a little modifacation it looks like I should be able to modify the design slightly for any number of purposes.

I don't really intend on driving the old truck around. I just want to experiment on it.

I tried to attach it but the file is too large. If any one is interested you can PM me your e mail and I will try to send it to you.